Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 turbo - anyone know this car?

eatapeach said:
adewatson said:
I have a car with very similar spec Slate Grey inc. PCCB and at 46k miles there is no discernible wear on the discs at all. I have tyres supplied by Oponeo sent to my local OPC for fitting as they take real care not to cause any damage. I'm just not confident that a generic tyre and exhaust place would understand how delicate / expensive the discs are. Another benefit of PCCB is the lack of brake dust or corrosion so wheels stay clean longer and on my 10 year old car the alloys still look as good as new.

I love the tiptronic and feel it really suits the car's character, good luck with the new car!

thanks! I'll heed that advice re tyre fitters :D

I'm told that PCCBs the fronts start at 35mm and these are now at 34.6 and the rears start at 29mm and these are on 27.7mm after 64k miles road use.

As long as you don't track it the discs will last for years to come. They are my favourite thing on both my Porsches.

eatapeach said:
I'm told that PCCBs the fronts start at 35mm and these are now at 34.6 and the rears start at 29mm and these are on 27.7mm after 64k miles road use.

Yeah, I worried about the PCCB before I bought mine and spent a fair amount of time doing research on them and was surprised how little solid information there is on them regarding wear limits etc. The OPCs seems to know very little and the standard response from them was they will last 150K etc..... and they admitted that they have never replaced any....... at the price they charge for them I am not surprised!

Some people say you can check wear by measuring (as you have) which makes sense to me, others say that will tell you nothing and the only way you can check them properly is to weigh them.

From my understanding, the most important thing is that they are smooth and are not de-laminating. I am not sure if they changed the discs between early and late 997s but mine do have wear indicators on them (3 circles on each disc face) made out of slightly softer material. These should be flat with the rest of the disc (do not worry about slight colour differences).

Pads are expensive, I just had a front set fitted by my OPC at £630 and need to be replaced at 30% remaining (approx 3mm), earlier if you are tracking them.

If the worst happened to the discs you can get them refurbished for approx £1000 per disc (inc shipping) and they will be as good as new....

http://www.rebrake.de/portfolio/porsche/?lang=en

As I understand it their work is great, communication and turnaround times not so much..... is the way I will go if I need to.

:thumb:

Yeah, I worried about the PCCB before I bought

{snip}

From my understanding, the most important thing is that they are smooth and are not de-laminating. I am not sure if they changed the discs between early and late 997s but mine do have wear indicators on them (3 circles on each disc face) made out of slightly softer material.

Pads are expensive, I just had a front set fitted by my OPC at £630 and need to be replaced at 30% remaining (approx 3mm), earlier if you are tracking them.

If the worst happened to the discs you can get them refurbished for approx £1000 per disc (inc shipping) and they will be as good as new....

http://www.rebrake.de/portfolio/porsche/?lang=en

As I understand it their work is great, communication and turnaround times not so much..... is the way I will go if I need to.

:thumb:

that's great advice- thanks! the refurb info especially is interesting and gradually this info debunks the "don't touch them with a barge pole" myth.

I'll check if these have the wear indicators

There are lots of options if anything happens - like as usual if you follow all the 'advice' on forums you'd never buy anything!

Grateful for the advice - cheers!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back