Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wet / Saturated rear passenger seat

Carrera_Sency

Hi all

I found the rear passenger seat on my 997 C2S (non-sunroof) to be saturated in water. The more it rained the wetter it became and also started to flow down to the foot wells.

I stripped the rear interior out including the carpet to try and locate the source. Not an easy task on your pride and joy ! Carpet and sponge backing was saturated and is still drying out 2 days later on the kitchen heated floor.

Issue was traced to the roof-rail drainage ! (I thought this was sealed). If I opened the roof-rail mount flap and poured water in, it would somehow flow onto the inner rear wing onto and through a sound deadening type sticker and find its path to the passenger seat base.

The roof-rail strip is just clipped in and can be easily prised upwards with a suitable pry, Once up you can lift the rear window rubber seal and see the drainage which runs under the rear window seal down the body work and out into the engine bay. This was blocked on mine and the water was running elsewhere and somehow into the car. I also cleaned the other side which drained as required but still had some crap in there.

The fix takes 5 minutes (once you know the source !) The issue can be avoided by just keeping these rear drains clean periodically. To check just open the roof-rail flap and pour water in, you should see all the water pour out under the engine if not then its going internally :-(

Hopefully this will save someone else from having to strip out their interior

:thumb:

Carrera_Sency

Good to know and thanks for posting. I'll give them a check when I'm next home. :thumbs:

Thanks for taking the time :thumb:

Hope it dries out and goes back together easy enough!

Thanks for the info, wondering if this may be the source of the wet rear carpet in my car, still haven't got to the bottom of the issue!

Will be having look over the weekend :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back