Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake DIY Question

boardingnath997

Undertook some DIY today - replacing front rotors and pads. Have done it before on other cars however first time with the Porsche. Didn't take long to run into my first issue. Even with an impact driver, I couldn't get the screws that hold the rotor to the hub. I ended up have to drill the face off it to get the rotor off. Problem was I then couldn't get the whole screw out and I didn't really have the right equipment to rebore the hole. Anyway I made the decision to put it all back together without these screws. Made it a little bit more difficult to get the wheel back on as there was a bit of movement in the rotor, but it seemed OK once the wheel was on. I've since double checked that the wheel is sitting flush with the rotor and triple checked wheel bolt tourques. I've also taken it for a drive and it seems fine. My thinking is that the wheel bolts hold it all together anyway??

My question to the pro's is - Is it OK to run without the screws?

Oh, and 3 of the dampening plates wouldn't come out. Was worried about forcing the issue and damaging the pistons so just decided to re-use. Less worried about this issue.

I will get it all sorted whenever it is in the shop again.

boardingnath997 said:
My question to the pro's is - Is it OK to run without the screws?
Not a problem to run without the disc securing screw. :thumb:

When you can, get the old screw drilled out, the hole retapped and a new screw (preferably with copperslip on it) fitted.

Yup its fine .. the screws are there to hold the disc in place when the wheel is removed.

As you have already found out its a bit tricky getting the wheel back on with it loose.

If the disc had not seated correctly you would certainly know about it !

Funnily enough I've had my breaks apart today as well. Mine were squeaking so gave them a good clean up and some copaslip.

As it happens one of my fronts has one of the screws missing as someone in the past has snapped a head off. My car has been running with one of these screws missing. I don't think it's a problem other than when you are trying to refit the wheel. (Hopefully you don't have to ever change a wheel on the side of the road!)

Nice one, thanks guys! :thumbs:

Need to ask for some more help from the professionals! I'm getting squeaking/squealing from the brakes now. Last night I took the wheels off and put a liberal amount of grease between the re-used shims and pad thinking that this would be the cause, and unfortunately hasn't fixed the issue. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it could be. The sound is more prevalent at low speeds when not actually using the brakes.

For reference I used OEM rotors (sebro) and pads (textar)

boardingnath997 said:
Need to ask for some more help from the professionals! I'm getting squeaking/squealing from the brakes now. Last night I took the wheels off and put a liberal amount of grease between the re-used shims and pad thinking that this would be the cause, and unfortunately hasn't fixed the issue. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it could be. The sound is more prevalent at low speeds when not actually using the brakes.

For reference I used OEM rotors (sebro) and pads (textar)

Have you bedded the pads in? That the car upto 70mph and stand on the brake peddle then repeat 4-6 times. If everything else has been copper greased this should sort

boardingnath997 said:
Last night I took the wheels off and put a liberal amount of grease between the re-used shims and pad thinking that this would be the cause)

New shims come with a self adhesive pad which attaches to the back of the brake pad, ie the shims work by being stuck to the brake pad not slipping against them. Don't know if it will cure your issue but if you clean up the shims and backs of the pads and use a spray adhesive to attach the shims to the pads it may help. Incidentally I made the exact same mistake when I changed my pads last time before I was helpfully corrected by my local Indy :)

Mikee Quickstep said:
boardingnath997 said:
Last night I took the wheels off and put a liberal amount of grease between the re-used shims and pad thinking that this would be the cause)

New shims come with a self adhesive pad which attaches to the back of the brake pad, ie the shims work by being stuck to the brake pad not slipping against them. Don't know if it will cure your issue but if you clean up the shims and backs of the pads and use a spray adhesive to attach the shims to the pads it may help. Incidentally I made the exact same mistake when I changed my pads last time before I was helpfully corrected by my local Indy :)

Thanks for the tip, will try this as the next step if they don't calm down over the next week

Just to say its as Mikee has said .. you fit new backing plates / dampers to the pads .. you dont grease anything.

I fit all new parts when replaceing them so backing plates , fixing kit , pads and discs .. i have never had one make a noise .. or come back with said issue .

You have no idea how many of these i have replaced over the years !

Sorry to butt in but where is the best place to buy the shims?

ECP .. but to be honest they aint the best quality , considering how long the discs / pads last then i would advise Porsche ones .. you pay a bit more but you get what you pay for .

Thanks and sorry one more question.

How do i know which sensors to get horseshoe or not?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back