Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Exhaust Heat Shields

TTW

Hi Group,

Quick question, BOTH exhaust heat sheilds (the ones that wrap around the box behind the rear wheel arch) on my 997.1s have become loose and vibrate like crazy against the exhaust on idle. one of them became loose last summer, but I managed to secure it (until now)...

My question is, are these absolutly necessary? - are there any members on here whose cars dont have them? - Are they essential or can I just cut them out & end the rattling for good? I know the heatsheild at the rear protects the plastic bumper from the heat, but not sure of any adverse consequences for removal of those that wrap around the exhaust boxes?

Thanks in advance
TTW :worship:

TTW said:
Hi Group,

Quick question, BOTH exhaust heat sheilds (the ones that wrap around the box behind the rear wheel arch) on my 997.1s have become loose and vibrate like crazy against the exhaust on idle. one of them became loose last summer, but I managed to secure it (until now)...

My question is, are these absolutly necessary? - are there any members on here whose cars dont have them? - Are they essential or can I just cut them out & end the rattling for good? I know the heatsheild at the rear protects the plastic bumper from the heat, but not sure of any adverse consequences for removal of those that wrap around the exhaust boxes?

Thanks in advance
TTW :worship:

The heat shields are essential, things get really hot in that area so I wouldn't risk running without them. They are also a pain to replace as the engine needs to be dropped to gain access to the upper fixing bolts. They corrode badly and eventually fall apart, but as long as they are still relatively stable I would look at an interim solution until you need to drop the engine for other essential work. Try to get a trusted mechanic/engineer to have a look and see if there is a temporary fix that might last until you need other work that can be done at the same time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back