Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo vs C4S

C4-STORM

Firstly, I would love a Turbz and the Mezger lump obviously has its advantages. However :chin:

At recent meets 2 separate other forum members (on different occasions) have commented that they preferred their 4S to their Turbo!

I was surprised to hear this..

So taking all factors into account (including cost) which would get your vote

:?:

Interested to hear other members views on this :thumb:

Without meaning to sound like a broken record .........

"You can drive a Turbo like a Carrera but, when conditions allow, you can't drive a Carrera like a Turbo".

:D

Seriously, for me the above sums up the difference between the two. 90% of the time on UK roads it wouldn't matter which you were driving. For the other 10% the Turbo would 'US president' a Carrera with its sheer :drive:

I get it that some people claim they don't like the power delivery of a Turbo but the arm stretching sensation is only there at the top of the torque curve and is often only what non-owners have experienced whilst the driver is showing off. Owners of the cars actually revel in the tractability that the whole torque gives and don't need to use the 'boost' much of the time.

The above is one of the reasons that you will hear that the auto box (even the Tip') is so well suited to the car.

Don't get me wrong, I really like and fully respect the 996 Carrera - especially the looks of the 'S' - but for a bit more money the Turbo presents so much bang for your bucks and the kudos associated with the turbo script on the rump is a big + too.

Many will say they prefer the aural delights that can be had from a Carrera over the often under-estimated noise of the Turbo and, whilst I can understand that, I've personally always preferred the stealth mode. :wink:

So much depends on what any individual actually wants from their 911.

eg. My 996C4 suited my needs for over 3 years and I originally only went 996 Turbo to relieve myself of the paranoia associated with the M96 motor. 997 Turbo was a natural progression for me as I wanted something a bit newer and 3 years ago a 997.1 Turbo was far cheaper to buy than a Gen 2 Carrera S. Going forward I'd happily return to a Carrera but it would have to be a 991.1S.

I'm looking forward to some great discussions on this thread. :thumbs:

Makes sense and pretty much sums up what for me would be the expectation.

I have to admit that I was fairly surprised at the comments made..

My first Porsche was a 996 C4S Coupe 6MT which I sold a while back. Years later I now have a 997.1 Turbo Convertible 6MT.
The rear of the 996 C4S is by far the best looking 911 in my opinion. It was such a special car which handled brilliantly and it was more than the sum of its parts. At the time when I bought my C4S I was not interested in the 996 Turbo because I didn't need the extra power and I much preferred the look of the C4S. The 997 Turbo, however, is on a completely different league to the C4S power wise. It really is a beast and I'm sure the 996 Turbo with a less powerful engine will also be a huge difference to the C4S.
The Turbo is a range topper and a beast of a car. You get what you pay for and there is a reason it's a lot more to buy both new and used. Over time values hold up better than Carreras. The driving experience is so different due to the nature of a Turbo car vs. naturally aspirated. You really out to drive both to decide and I'm sure you will be in no doubt once you do so.

Hi

I have never had a 4S but own a 996 turbo

I would consider what your end goal is. For me it is about the smile factor, sheer grunt, being a little different ( modified ) and having the imho the car I can afford or want! My mod ideas keep coming into my mind tho

Running costs for me are not bad on the turbo but I have no comparisons

Remember when you want the power the turbo can deliver. A 4S cannot. Ask yourself is this something you could live with in the longer term?

In summary. Go for the turbo. What is really stopping you apart from 2 owners at 2 meetings?

The Turbo for the point-and-shoot ballistic missile capability, the torque and power that's always on hand. And of course the pedigree of the bullet-proof Mezger dry-sump unit. I faced the choice and glad I made the decision for a Turbo.

Mezger engine, huge power and the opportunity to buy the 911 that sits pretty much at the top of the pile outside the GT cars.

The turbo is a compelling proposition.

However, on UK roads it is unlikely that you can really take advantage of it. The C4S isn't exactly slow, shares lots of turbo bits and is N/A in a world that is now full of turbos.

Oh, and the 996 C4S has the best arse of any of Porsche this side of a 994 (imo).

Both stunning cars in different ways.

I've owned both, a 997C4S and now a 997.1 Turbo and there is nothing I miss about the C4S.

Admittedly I did miss the sound at first but the turbo has soo many advantages over the carrera and with the europipe exhaust it sounds good :)

Interesting topic. Before my C4S (which is my first Porsche) I had a 2015 Audi S8 and before that, a 2013 F10 M5 - both nigh on 600bhp turbocharged monsters, so I have been very used to endless torque and big power. The problem I found was, that both cars were so effortlessly fast, that day to day, the performance was quite frustrating as you simply couldn't use it or when you did, you faced ending up on the front page of the Daily Fail or in prison! (Or dead!).

My Porsche journey started off by looking at 718 Cayman and I was very very close to ordering a GTS - i went and drove a well specced manual S at the PEC and whilst it impressed me, something was missing.

I was then told by a mate that his boss was looking to offload a few cars from his collection including a 996 C4S and a 996 Turbo S. I'd always loved the look of the C4S but also had a real soft spot for Turbos, having had my first 'wow that's quick' moment in a then new X50 996 Turbo at a PH meet, and then my first (indicated) 200mph in a 996 Ruf R Turbo at a very early Vmax day.

It took me 10 mins in the C4S to know that it was the one for me and the noise is a big part of that, but I also love the fact that I can use all of the revs a lot of the time and not face prison or death! It's the slowest and least expensive car I've owned for many years (the wife's 335D XDrive is faster FFS!), but I LOVE it!

If it was a daily or was used for big euro jaunts, then the torque of a turbo would appeal I think, but I'd miss the noise!

Incidentally, the guy I bought from regrets selling the C4S but not the Turbo...

Horses for courses - both fab cars, but as said above, the world has gone turbo now and will soon be fully electric, so I will enjoy a NA Manual car for as long as I can! Must stop looking at 997 GT3s....

galahad said:
Interesting topic. Before my C4S (which is my first Porsche) I had a 2015 Audi S8 and before that, a 2013 F10 M5 - both nigh on 600bhp turbocharged monsters, so I have been very used to endless torque and big power. The problem I found was, that both cars were so effortlessly fast, that day to day, the performance was quite frustrating as you simply couldn't use it or when you did, you faced ending up on the front page of the Daily Fail or in prison! (Or dead!).

My Porsche journey started off by looking at 718 Cayman and I was very very close to ordering a GTS - i went and drove a well specced manual S at the PEC and whilst it impressed me, something was missing.

I was then told by a mate that his boss was looking to offload a few cars from his collection including a 996 C4S and a 996 Turbo S. I'd always loved the look of the C4S but also had a real soft spot for Turbos, having had my first 'wow that's quick' moment in a then new X50 996 Turbo at a PH meet, and then my first (indicated) 200mph in a 996 Ruf R Turbo at a very early Vmax day.

It took me 10 mins in the C4S to know that it was the one for me and the noise is a big part of that, but I also love the fact that I can use all of the revs a lot of the time and not face prison or death! It's the slowest and least expensive car I've owned for many years (the wife's 335D XDrive is faster FFS!), but I LOVE it!

If it was a daily or was used for big euro jaunts, then the torque of a turbo would appeal I think, but I'd miss the noise!

Incidentally, the guy I bought from regrets selling the C4S but not the Turbo...

Horses for courses - both fab cars, but as said above, the world has gone turbo now and will soon be fully electric, so I will enjoy a NA Manual car for as long as I can! Must stop looking at 997 GT3s....

Really interesting take on this.

One forum member I was chatting to commented that he regrets selling his C4S and the other still has both a C4s and a Turbo and said whatever you do - 'don't sell it!' I prefer mine to my turbo..

The reasons given in discussion were driveability. I know the rear end is good on the C4S, it still carries that retro feel but tbh that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I love the Turbo looks over and above if I am honest. Especially the rear tailgate/spoiler. And then the performance..

So whilst this may seem to some as a 'no brainer' or stupid question it has been triggered not by me but the experience of others.

I have not driven a Turbo so I am not in a position to make an educated comment either way.

Some criticize the 4WD whilst others love it.. :?:

Then there is what appears to be the increasing cost differential.. :?:

C4-STORM said:
... One forum member I was chatting to commented that he regrets selling his C4S and the other still has both a C4s and a Turbo and said whatever you do - 'don't sell it!' I prefer mine to my turbo..

The reasons given in discussion were driveability. I know the rear end is good on the C4S, it still carries that retro feel but tbh that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I love the Turbo looks over and above if I am honest. Especially the rear tailgate/spoiler. And then the performance..

So whilst this may seem to some as a 'no brainer' or stupid question it has been triggered not by me but the experience of others.

I have not driven a Turbo so I am not in a position to make an educated comment either way.

Some criticize the 4WD whilst others love it.. :?:

Then there is what appears to be the increasing cost differential.. :?:

The only way for you to know for sure is to drive a Turbo yourself.

The 'driveability' thing is real but what this actually means is that for 90% of the time owners are frustrated that they can't actually use the extra bhp as things like slower traffic and tight corners come up much more quickly.

They're both 4wd. I'd argue that it's more relevant to have it on a Turbo.

The cost differential has always been about 35%. It says a lot that I've never known anyone quibble about that size of premium. :D

T8 said:
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread and to those that I've had various 'PM' discussions with. :thumb:

400 miles into Turbo ownership and 2 hours after my first 'proper' solo drive I now feel qualified to answer my own question. :grin:

The 74 miles that I drove this morning took in all of my local fun routes (50/50 A and B roads, no dual carriageways) and allowed me to make a direct comparison between my old 996C4 and my 'new' toy.

These are the most relevant.

1. The 'balance' that's achieved by keeping the NA car at 4,000 rpm+ can be done in the Turbo at 2,800 ie. just when 0.1 bar is starting to show.

2. The 'kick' that a NA car gives between 4,500 and 6,000 rpm is matched between 2,800 and 4,000. It's what happens then that really brings home the difference between the two cars. At 4000 rpm most of the additional 100 bhp is just 'there' .......... instantly. The final 10% takes a little bit longer to come but by that time it's normally time to back off anyway.

3. The other major difference is noticed when slowing down. iirc the Turbo weighs in at 100kg heavier than the C4 (not the C4S). Under most circumstances the extra weight is not noticeable but under braking it most definitely is! The combination of the extra weight, lack of engine braking - and the fact that you're going quicker between the corners - brings home to me why these things are renowned for eating pads (and discs :eek: ).

4. Handling wise there's probably very little between the two, as both are 4wd, but the Turbo seems to absorb the bumps better. It feels 'softer' but this may just be because my 'T' is 2 years newer than the C4 was and it's also done a few miles less. :dont know: .

In summary I am already starting to see why the Turbo is held in such high regard by so many people, including those far more experienced in driving fast cars than me. It's not just the rate that these monsters can cover cross-country distances, it's the ease with which they do it.

The reason for my original post was my concern that the fantastic 'driveability' of the C4 would not be matched if I changed to a Turbo and that the 'cost to change' may not offer the same :D 's per £.

After only 19 days I'm pleased to report ........... :cloud9:

The comparison being C4S and Turbo..

I didn't source a C4 as I wanted the wide body, Turbo wheels, brakes, bumpers etc.

The answer lies here ....

'I have not driven a Turbo so I am not in a position to make an educated comment either way. '

I was reading through your earlier comments and it was obvious to me that you hadn't .... this is essential ....drive them both , then , you can decide ...
Of course all owners thoughts are great but do this and I could almost bank on knowing what your thought are after that ...

Not many people don't like to have the ability to step on the throttle and do what the Turbo does ......
You can always drive in 'Normal' if you want ....

Do it , then come back and let's us know your thoughts ....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back