Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Adding a bose subwoofer

So you now just have that amp. Interesting. Mine is working when I start out, then cutting out and losing all the bass at points, usually after about 45 minutes. Seem to remember the last one did the same thing, getting worse and worse, then failing completely. Last one was done under warranty, dont have warranty anymore because I changed the stereo!

Would you mind giving me the exact model number etc of your new one?

cheers

resigner said:
So the head unit powered the other speaks and the amp the sub(s)?

I cant remember exactilly how I set it up mate I am sure the amp powered the mids in the doors etc and the headunit amp may have done the tweaters bloody old age mate just cant quite remember :grin: it was a non bose car

-- 997 -- said:
Why not get a BOSE subwoofer, gut it out, fit a crossover to lower the frequency in Analog form and fit X2 8 inch Subwoofers to a good quality amp and wire the subwoofers in series giving you 2ohms output for real RMS and not watts for a better quality output, then and control that from the head unit, regards to the footwell subwoofer, you can forget that, I've seen it and there is no space what so ever for the passengers feet at the back and to be honest it looks hideous !!!!

Cheers

J

You will not fit an 8 inch driver into the stock bose unit, it's just not big enough. The drivers are very small and the plastic enclosure would not be worth modifying. I am having to remake the subwoofer enclosure completely to accommodate 2 x 8 inch units, which is over the top for the size of the cabin but 8 inch are about the smallest subwoofer drivers easily available.

I really have no idea how to install a subwoofer, Is anyone here how can help me with this?

Bose

I must be one of few that actually likes the sound of the Bose/PCM system.
I have a Bluetooth adapter in place of the CD Changer and it sounds great.

Retro fitting the BOSE SUB is doable as its got its own amp, you'll need power, remote switch on and a line level input to it, not sure how you'll get these out of the standard headunit.

Bedivir said:
I really have no idea how to install a subwoofer, Is anyone here how can help me with this?

There are really only limited options to install a subwoofer in a 997, there are smallish footwell type units available and it really depends on what you are planning to connect it to?

Bedivir said:

Hi,

A lot depends on what system you have (standard/sound plus/Bose) and what you are using as a head unit.

I will shortly be adding a BOSE subwoofer to my Gen 1 which has the sound plus system and an Alpine head unit. Ill just need to make up a lead like this and run it from the head unit to where the subwoofer is bolted in:

https://cai-store.com/collections/9...-13/products/bose-subwoofer-retention-harness

Guys, as I mentioned in 2018 the Bose system uses fibre optic cables the non Bose cars many didnt come with fibre cables so it would be doable but a hell of a lot of rewiring to give you a sound that could be replicated or even improved on using aftermarket amps and subs ,So before spending your hard earned check what cables you have in your car. probably the best sounding audio I have ever heard in a 997 was in DucatiRobs 997.1 not only did it sound stunning rich and deep but what he had made up to contain everything also looked excellent :thumb:
anyone thinking of audio upgrades more than just a head unit change should have a chat with Rob first then make your decisions from there. :thumb: :thumb:

That's true Phil, but the subwoofer is a self contained unit with its own amp. It doesn't require any of the MOSFET fibre optics to run. It can even be connected to a non bose pcm if you use a line signal converter, although the quality is not great.

There are a few write ups of people swapping the subs and amp in the bose unit out for better components to improve things further. Personally I think the sub is an elegant factory type solution that suits the car and second hand they are very cheap (sometimes under £100)

But I will say the by far the biggest improvement in sound I have seen so far comes from just replacing the head unit 👍

Hertsdriver said:
That's true Phil, but the subwoofer is a self contained unit with its own amp. It doesn't require any of the MOSFET fibre optics to run. It can even be connected to a non bose pcm if you use a line signal converter, although the quality is not great.

There are a few write ups of people swapping the subs and amp in the bose unit out for better components to improve things further. Personally I think the sub is an elegant factory type solution that suits the car and second hand they are very cheap (sometimes under £100)

But I will say the by far the biggest improvement in sound I have seen so far comes from just replacing the head unit 👍

I know when I looked at the option on my gen1 it wasn't financially viable although that was 6 or 7 years ago, so I went with a beats rainbow amp and alpine head unit and as you said the head unit was a big improvement on its own. I must admit the aftermarket set up on my gen1 was much better sounding than the BOSE I now have on my gen2 . there is no denying that the Bose box on the parcel shelf is the best installation so even if you were using aftermarket components using the box to instal them in would be an ideal fit. :thumb:

Hertsdriver said:

I know when I looked at the option on my gen1 it wasn't financially viable although that was 6 or 7 years ago, so I went with a beats rainbow amp and alpine head unit and as you said the head unit was a big improvement on its own. I must admit the aftermarket set up on my gen1 was much better sounding than the BOSE I now have on my gen2 . there is no denying that the Bose box on the parcel shelf is the best installation so even if you were using aftermarket components using the box to instal them in would be an ideal fit. :thumb:

I fitted a pioneer 130DA active sub (underseat model) in the footwell

Its epic for the money and gives me if im honest too much bass

For those days of driving around the coast of norfolk though its good and bassy

Dougnorwich said:
I fitted a pioneer 130DA active sub (underseat model) in the footwell

Its epic for the money and gives me if im honest too much bass

For those days of driving around the coast of norfolk though its good and bassy

I'd go this route over modifying the Bose subwoofer, it will almost certainly yield as good if not better results, it's hard to find reasonably priced true subwoofer drivers that will fit into the Bose box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back