Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking of changing from 981 to 997 gen1 turbo or gen2 2s

Seventy Seven said:
If auto, then PDK (especially if you/your wife is used to one).

Gen 2 with low miles and mint condition from Mr Pearce - job done! :thumb:

Especially as it is a daily driver. A 997 turbo is a bit overkill for a daily. Tiptronic is awful (sorry but it is!) so a PDK 997.2 would win.

Saying that, I'm an out and out manual fan, so neither would work for me!

Do drive all the options. Teach the Mrs to drive a manual and get her to take her test again!

mark pearce said:
I ve got a lovely C2S PDK convertible for sale

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=8062

What's not to love about a triple blue S Cabrio!

Difficult choice for the OP as the tiptronic box is really well matched to the turbo engine by all accounts. I'd have a well sorted 997.2 NA over a high mileage bottom of the barrel 997 turbo any day. The real conundrum is whether a 996 turbo would suit. I personally love them and would be driving one now if they hadn't increased in value dramatically whilst I waited for a realistic budget.

msaif996 said:
Interesting option. I've got a 981 Boxster S PDK which I bought 3 years ago and I recently bought a 997.1 Turbo 6MT Convertible this year.
The 981 handles better, is better built, so much more modern interior/electrics/options. The PASM is more advanced. The 997.1 Turbo is more roomy, more heritage and so much faster.
These are obvious from the spec sheets and road tests. I also have a 996 and you can really tell the difference between a 90's Porsche (996), a 00's car (997) and a latest generation (981/991).
My thoughts? I wouldn't sell a 981 for a non-Turbo 997 as the 981 is a better car. For a 997 Turbo I would. Drive any car and you'll know what's right for you to do.

Agreed, wouldn't sell the 981 for a 997 C2S/C4S. How about a 981 Boxster GTS? I've had my eye on this car for a while but I won't be back in the UK until the summer.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202101918076

I've tried getting her driving a manual 🙈 And it's definitely out of the question 😂

We have decided against the 997.1 turbo on account of the mileage. There are a few 60k ones around for £55k so I think you are right that it is overprice d at £43k

I am not too bad with Porsche options and I cannot believe how hard it is getting the spec right, it's a bit of a headache. I've had OPC warranty on the 981 since new but it is quite tying and changing the Borla exhaust every year for the service and the warranty inspection is a pain so I may go warrenty direct on the new car to avoid this. I am happy to use an aftermarket exhaust such as borla so a PSE isn't a definite for me.

I was dead set on having sport / sport plus but I see you can have it retrofitted for around £1k so this widens my options again not having to find one fitted, you just don't get the stopclock but I actually prefer the dash without.

Are there any options you have on your,cars that you think you must have? Silly things like rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirrors, auto headlights now seem like must haves after having the 981 but most of the cars I'm looking at don't seem to have it.

I only have 1 996 left in my list of potential cars, and it is this one

https://www.whytehallcarcollection.co.uk/used-porsche-911-turbo-maidenhead-berkshire-1310545

Right I'm off to think about options 😂.

As a side note, it's very difficult to go to a garage and try to get test drives as they seem your wasting their time when you ask and say your not sure it's right for you. We were all set on a R8 spyder R tronic, everything agreed subject to driving........and then we took it out for a drive. Have you ever driven the r-tronic!!!! Possibly the worst auto gearchange I have ever known. It literally made you rock in your chair during the long gearchange. I was told they all do that unless I got an S tronic but they were out of my budget.

I also tried to buy an R8 and I had nothing to trade and funds available. I was actually looking to do a deal over the phone as I was based away at the time. You would think dealers would jump at this but they didn't even call back after my initial phone call. Porsche OPC the same until I managed to speak to one OPC and we concluded the deal in 5mins. The dealer responses still surprise me to this day. It happened to me 10 years ago and 20 years ago. Strange.

resigner said:
Especially as it is a daily driver. A 997 turbo is a bit overkill for a daily.

It probably is, but it certainly makes daily driving more fun. Im doing 14,000 a year in my turbo as a daily driver. :thumb:

It's all relative. If I was loaded I'd use a La Ferrari or similar as a daily.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back