Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front splitter / spoiler - black plastic or painted?

Mikee Quickstep

Silverstone
Think I'm going to go down the route of fitting an aerokit, whats the general consensus on painting the front splitter vs. leaving it in black plastic?

I think the factory fitted ones came in black plastic and thats how OPC supply them (i.e. without primer so not intended to be painted) so that's probably the way I'm leaning. Will also make the inevitable scratching less noticeable I'm assuming...

Reckon leaving in black also has more of the motorsport look about it....

What do people think looks better?! :?:

Black plastic definately.

You wont get time for the paint to dry anyway, im on my 5th!

Mike I am with you on leaving it matt black , It will last better as you can use some very fine paper and gtech trim restorer if you do end up scraping it on a curb or something. If you do end up painting it then consider clear wrapping it as this is supposed to help protect it.
The lower lip on both my gen1 and gen2 I kept in matt black as I agree with your comment about thats how they came from the factory and are supposed to look

Attachments

• 28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_559.jpg
    28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_559.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 3,859
  • thumbnail_1_169.jpg
    thumbnail_1_169.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 3,859
  • img_1814_203.jpg
    img_1814_203.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 3,859
When I last enquired at OPC Wilmslow they stated aerokit front splitter is PU and supplied grey primer? The standard front splitter is rubber.

Kerbing the PU aerokit is very easily done. The main casualty is it splits very easily as its meant to flex. Once split, usually near the air intakes which is weak fracture point, repairs are difficult. Even plastic welding shows up on a respray. So its often a replace piece of kit unless you really just very lightly scrape it and no flexion is applied to it.

What's the price these days? When I last asked, they quoted me over £500 inc VAT. Then the paint to match makes it a £750 replacement. I think the rubber one is around £150.

wow that sounds steep I only pay about £200 ish for my replacement 997 OE lips in matt black. I know the side skirts are avail in matt black or primer and £500 ish plus vat would make sense for them have you looked at the wrong line on the invoice Cheshire :?:

cheshire911 said:
When I last enquired at OPC Wilmslow they stated it was supplied grey primer?

Kerbing it is quite easy. The main casualty is it splits very easily as its meant to flex. Once split, repairs are difficult even plastic welding shows up on a respray. So its often a replace piece of kit unless you really just very lightly scrape it and no flexion is applied to it.

What's the price these days? When I last asked, they quoted me over £500 inc VAT. Then the paint to match makes it a £750 replacement.

Rang OPC East London today and they said £254 inc VAT in black plastic.

Mikee Quickstep said:
cheshire911 said:
When I last enquired at OPC Wilmslow they stated it was supplied grey primer?

Kerbing it is quite easy. The main casualty is it splits very easily as its meant to flex. Once split, repairs are difficult even plastic welding shows up on a respray. So its often a replace piece of kit unless you really just very lightly scrape it and no flexion is applied to it.

What's the price these days? When I last asked, they quoted me over £500 inc VAT. Then the paint to match makes it a £750 replacement.

Rang OPC East London today and they said £254 inc VAT in black plastic.

Mike don't forget to ask for club discount normally 5% but you may well be able to haggle 10% off
Also a heads up they do the one like in my top pic thats the normal GT3 lip but they also do a cup version thats deeper I think the lip protrudes more , those do contact much more so I would avoid it for a road car. just letting you know as some parts guys dont know and you end up with the wrong part :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
wow that sounds steep I only pay about £200 ish for my replacement 997 OE lips in matt black. I know the side skirts are avail in matt black or primer and £500 ish plus vat would make sense for them have you looked at the wrong line on the invoice Cheshire :?:

Nope. I kid you not. Lets be clear, mine is a 996 Turbo with factory-fit front aerokit splitter. The standard under-bumper trim I black plastic rubber and maintains a good ground clearance over the aerokit. My Indy has often suggested to just switch it for standard black plastic and replace it at £150 a time over the pricey PU aerokit and simply put the aerokit on when its time to sell.

A 997 aerokit might be different.

cheshire911 said:
Phil 997 said:

Nope. I kid you not. Lets be clear, mine is a 996 Turbo with factory-fit front aerokit splitter. The standard under-bumper trim I black plastic rubber and maintains a good ground clearance over the aerokit. My Indy has often suggested to just switch it for standard black plastic and replace it at £150 a time over the pricey PU aerokit and simply put the aerokit on when its time to sell.

A 997 aerokit might be different.

Ah I seem to remember the one your talking about tucks right inder the car and has a sort of under tray as part of it, if thats the one I am thinking of yes that price would make sense . On the 997 its litrally just a lip it only goes under the car an inch or so :grin:

heres a pic of a GT3 fitted with the cup style lip you can see its different to the Std aero/gt3 lip

Attachments

• media_105.jpg
    media_105.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 3,780
  • media_208.jpg
    media_208.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 3,780

Attachments

• 063_384.jpg
    063_384.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,735
Phil 997 said:
Mike don't forget to ask for club discount normally 5% but you may well be able to haggle 10% off

Also a heads up they do the one like in my top pic thats the normal GT3 lip but they also do a cup version thats deeper I think the lip protrudes more , those do contact much more so I would avoid it for a road car. just letting you know as some parts guys dont know and you end up with the wrong part :thumb:

Thanks Phil, do you by any chance have the part number for the one that protrudes less so I can make sure I buy the right one?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back