Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking of changing from 981 to 997 gen1 turbo or gen2 2s

mightymetro

Long time no see everyone. Had a 996 c4 a few years ago, moved to a cerbera and then my wife decided to pass her test. She can only drive an automatic so there is a compromise and we moved from an sl500 to a boxster 981 pdk 2.7. Depreciation has been kind on the car and I'm in a situation where I can look at changing to a 997. Budget is £45k max and it must be a cabriolet.

There is a 997 gen 1 turbo tip with 120k for sale at 44k which I am tempted by, but my wife quite likes the smoother lines of the N/a versions. I reckon I can get into a sub 60k c2s with the budget.

My question is...........is it really worth 20k more than the boxster to get the 997. We don't need 4 seats but it seems the natural progression. The boxster has been fantastic and even the 2.7 is sprightly enough. I really like the rifle like pdk and I think this is what's putting me off an older gen1 c4s tip . Left field choice is a 996 turbo tip , sweetended by the probable low depreciation.

Just wondered people's thoughts and if they had made a similar move from a newer to an older model

Thank you

I'm one of the few supporters of the old Tiptronic gearbox but even I would suggest that you would be disappointed with it if you are used to a PDK. In a Turbo this would be less of an issue.

I don't follow the Cab' market but £44k for a 120k mile Turbo seems very expensive.

Your budget should get you into an early Gen2 997 which is widely regarded as the sweet spot of watercooled 911s. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed but the more 'classic' styling of the 8 year older interior might put your missus off.

Hi,

my twopenceworth on this dilemma...I had the budget for 997.1 turbo tip and after driving a couple decided to go for a 997.2 c4s

why..the 997.2 c4s is as wide as a turbo has the MUCH better pdk gearbox and is only slightly slower in terms of acceleration (especially with launch control on the pdk :D )

so unless you are a racing driver where 0.4 second matters or an investor not willing to put miles on your car for fear of devaluing it (nothing wrong with that btw...but I want to drive mine very day and wherever and whenever!)...I would take a look at the c4s....looks and performance in a more modern platform.

shabs said:
Hi,

my twopenceworth on this dilemma...I had the budget for 997.1 turbo tip and after driving a couple decided to go for a 997.2 c4s

why..the 997.2 c4s is as wide as a turbo has the MUCH better pdk gearbox and is only slightly slower in terms of acceleration (especially with launch control on the pdk :D )

so unless you are a racing driver where 0.4 second matters or an investor not willing to put miles on your car for fear of devaluing it (nothing wrong with that btw...but I want to drive mine very day and wherever and whenever!)...I would take a look at the c4s....looks and performance in a more modern platform.

Come to think of it, I had the budget for a 9971 Turbo Tiptronic but I bought a 9972 C4S PDK too. I simply wanted a Carrera rather than a Turbo. And I suppose it didn't help the Turbo's case that my colleague and friend already had a nice seal grey aero-kitted TT in the parking space next to mine...

As it turns out, a Turbo tip is quick, but a PDK'd S isn't too far behind at all - on the road at least, when we both left the office at the same time :grin:

I have to agree there's not much to choose between them in performance, the C4s is a quick car. The PDK is the box to have, or a manual if you want the joy of changing gear.
The tip is very dated now and if you drive a PDK you'll never buy a tiptronic.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark, I'll drop you a message

I think my wife also prefers the black centre dash on the 997.2 too so I guess I should rule the turbo out. We use the car most days, but with a 10 mile commute we only add about 7000 miles per year.

I think I am struggling to find a c4s cab for the budget, but there are several C2S models that I have expressed an interest in. The red one at RPM is quite tempting and with my previous 996 having 120k+ when I sold it the mileage isn't too much of a worry.

From looking at some reviews the c4s seems to be the 'one' but in real world terms is the C2s just as capable on both a performance and depreciation front? I know it's 44mm wider 😂

Thanks again for your replies

Personally i would definitely be looking for something with sports chrono and pse....also fully adjustable seats

I went for the turbo tip over the 4s pdk, for me the 4s was a nice car better gearbox but the turbo was in a different leauge, I was lucky enough to be able to drive both cars in the same sitting and one thing I can always remember was being surprised by the wonderful orchestra of the turbo mezger as the boost came on. That alone had me sold, these days the sound and performance have further improved with a light dose of ESMOTOR.

mark pearce said:
I ve got a lovely C2S PDK convertible for sale

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=8062

Bang on budget and Mark one of the good guys! mine the 1.5 turbo tip so i have the updated console. Obviously the PDK is a much better box but I couldn't change from the Turbo to a 4S PDK or manual, the Turbo just feels iconic!! and ive enjoyed an afternoon in my mates 991 4s PDK and I wouldn't change for that either. It would have to be 997.2 turbo pdk next but don't tell the wife.

Good luck with the search they are all great!!!! :thumb:

Gen 2, C2S, is the purer drive over a heavier C4S. Make sure you try both.

You must have (and I have a 997.1 gen 1 C2S Cab as my daily drive, I work from home):
Heated Seats (for the wife)
A manual Gearbox
A new wife.
Oh ok Im joking but seriously

Heated Seats
PSE
Sports Chrono (which can be added on a Gen 2 easily, you just don't get the stopwatch thingy!)
Multi Function steering wheel for me is a must
Change the stereo to something modern from Pioneer with apple carplay/android auto
Hard back sports seats
Cruise Control is very useful and they do make great cars for weekends away
Top Tinted windscreen is very useful

That car Mark has is very nice to look at, very low miles. If you are only after a C4S because of the slightly wider body, do drive both, thats about it really, C2S was for me much nicer, you can really notice the difference between a C2S and a C4S in the way they drive. I wouldn't buy a C4S just because its a little bit wider!

Interesting option. I've got a 981 Boxster S PDK which I bought 3 years ago and I recently bought a 997.1 Turbo 6MT Convertible this year.
The 981 handles better, is better built, so much more modern interior/electrics/options. The PASM is more advanced. The 997.1 Turbo is more roomy, more heritage and so much faster.
These are obvious from the spec sheets and road tests. I also have a 996 and you can really tell the difference between a 90's Porsche (996), a 00's car (997) and a latest generation (981/991).
My thoughts? I wouldn't sell a 981 for a non-Turbo 997 as the 981 is a better car. For a 997 Turbo I would. Drive any car and you'll know what's right for you to do.

All very good and valid points...you really ought to try and drive each and every variant on your list ( and they will all feel slightly different) that way you can decide what matters to you and what doesn't!

How about a 981 3.4 ?

If auto, then PDK (especially if you/your wife is used to one).

Gen 2 with low miles and mint condition from Mr Pearce - job done! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back