Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Biffa present on boxing day

Fulla

So boxing day a Biffa waste lorry hit the back of the car.It was parked outside a relatives.Its an old farm house and Biffa was collecting from a business next door. There was enough space to fit 3 lorries paste my car so i can only assume the driver was full of xmas spirit...thankfully i did get a note with Biffa's Insurance detials.

Now i have a decision to make,well 2 when it goes in for repair.

1.Do i debadge the back?

2. Do i replace the grill with a 2S grill?

I recently saw a 993 WB on pinterest debadged and it looked cleaner. I have always like the 2S grill and wish they had of just made it standard on all NA WB's.
Interested to hear your thougjts.

Attachments

• 6e008a54_f0e8_43a4_8374_83e54591af6c_199.jpeg
    6e008a54_f0e8_43a4_8374_83e54591af6c_199.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,987
Ouch and very lucky it's only the rear lid & cosmetics.

I de-badged my lid as it does look a lot cleaner IMO, however i'm a fan of the simpler 4S Grille and i'd go OEM route, although i'd be tempted to get it painted body colour for extra smoothness with the benefit of it being much easier to clean. :thumb:

C.

Sorry to see the damage but it looks fairly light.

I also prefer a debadged rear and colour coded grille.

It looks light but the qoutes for repair are between £5-£6k...

Yeah that seems like a lot. Bearing in mind it looks like you're in Ealing from your profile, can I ask which places the quotation(s) are from? Cheers

Fulla said:

Looks like full PAT (Porsche Added Tax) is included in the quote!!

I prefer the 2S grill by far, but I may be a bit biased :grin:

Fulla said:

How any body shop can quote £5 -£6K beggars belief :eek: what are they looking at doing? rebuilding the back end? From the picture it looks like light damage as others have said. A new rear centre glass approx £350 perhaps a RHS indicator cluster approx £200. Bumper looks straight, spoiler looks OK too so it should be just a case of sorting out the lid :dont know: Perhaps they are looking at replacing the lid but I still don't get the price unless there is a lot more damage that doesn't show on the picture.

Feel your pain though.

ATB :)

How much...?

Second hand engine cover off ebay for a few hundered quid. New lights, centre bar and two indicators so they all match plus a few new fixings (nuts & bolts), a little labour and paint and i'd see it at £1.5 to 2k max.

And we wonder why our premiums keep going up... :roll:

It's about time there was some governing of Insurance repairs etc. as the garages just see it as a license to print money!

C.

Ouch!

.....anyway, back the query.
I prefer the clean lines of no badges, so that's the way I went when I had the re-spray. Although, I also got a new rear screen and got rid of the of the wiper....

Just ask them to supply the badge - then you can try it for a few months. It's easier to put one on that take one off if you change your mind :whistle:

cableguy said:
How much...?

Second hand engine cover off ebay for a few hundered quid. New lights, centre bar and two indicators so they all match plus a few new fixings (nuts & bolts), a little labour and paint and i'd see it at £1.5 to 2k max.

And we wonder why our premiums keep going up... :roll:

It's about time there was some governing of Insurance repairs etc. as the garages just see it as a license to print money!

C.

In 2005 I spun my 964 and she ended up hitting a grass bank at around 15mph. It knocked the tailpipe off its support, cracked the rear nearside lens and broke a bumper support..... didn't even crack the bumper. I tied the exhaust up and carried on my way.

In the end I decided to go through a Porsche approved insurer as I had nowhere at the time to repair it myself.

Total cost of £11K for the repair. :grin:

I got a printout of the replacement parts and it was four pages long which included a new centre reflector. The original one was still on the car when I picked her up...... as the original wasn't damaged. Daylight bloody robbery. :dont know:

Gareth64 said:
Yeah that seems like a lot. Bearing in mind it looks like you're in Ealing from your profile, can I ask which places the quotation(s) are from? Cheers

M&A, Fastlane. Both suggested by my Insurance company. The work involves new engine lid along with various other parts. It has been suggested that both rear panels and roof need to be matched so windows out.

We will see as an assessor is out end of week to view.

Quick comment - Quote for repair does seem a lot. But it's via Insurance and for that I wouldn't want 2nd hand parts off eBay.
I have now talked to 3 separate places and all quotes after viewing the car are within 5-10% and all outline the same repairs.
I have questioned them all separately as initially I thought it was a lot. However hearing of what will be done I understand the cost. I posted the price as I knew it look's like a quick, bang out, fill, paint, buff to shine repair and thought you would be interested to see how much that small ding will cost to remedy.

Now to the rear...I like the idea of keeping the badging off and seeing how I get on, as has been said I can always put back on.
For the grill I am still torn between 2S(which I do prefer) and just colour matching...what ever happens I will colour match it..

Obviously much more to it than it looks. If it's glass out and paint/blend into the roof and rear wings then have you thought about any other preventative works while the car is with them. It could be an ideal opportunity to get the rear chassis legs checked, sills, inner lip on rear arches etc.
I'm sure the garage involved would offer a favourable rate seeing as most of it will be stripped anyway. :wink:

C.

Ouch! :evil:

Shame they're having to replace the rear lid as the car's unique shell number is stamped on the top edge, this matches the ones under bonnet, each door top, rear bulkhead top under parcel shelf and behind lower dash.

Colour matching the grill will look good on the dark exterior, and as you say leave badge off you can always affix at a later date.

:thumb:

cableguy said:
Obviously much more to it than it looks. If it's glass out and paint/blend into the roof and rear wings then have you thought about any other preventative works while the car is with them. It could be an ideal opportunity to get the rear chassis legs checked, sills, inner lip on rear arches etc.
I'm sure the garage involved would offer a favourable rate seeing as most of it will be stripped anyway. :wink:

C.

Hi CG - Yes have already thought of preventative items. I had intended to get some areas sorted over winter and now it will all get done at the same time.
Hadn't thought to check the sills so will get this added to the list.

Every cloud as they say...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back