Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tour to Siena inTuscany Italy - advice wanted!

FRP

Dear All

Firstly HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all

My wife and I are going to plan a driving trip to Siena in Tuscany via Switzerland for the beginning of July 2018. Its our 50th birthdays, 10th wedding annaversary etc. Yes we are taking the 911 and no roof box! My wife is going to pack carrier bags for her luggage as i have a roll cage, rear is occupied by fire supression system, frunk is taken with meth tank and of course comfortable buckets with harnesses LOL.

We have 4 days to get there and dont mind any detours, milage is not an issue - - - it will be a 2 week driving tour andstaying at a castle in Tuscany (then touring the local area of Sinena or there abouts)

I have tried searching the forum but dont seem to be able to find relevant threads, My BAD !

Any ideas, maps, thoughts, roads, things to avoid, things to do, experience, issues bla bla bla.

Has anyone done the mountain pass drive from Morez to Nyon ?

Michelin road maps any good ?

Any help, urls, etc would be fantastic and highly appreciated

Thanks FRP Faried
email [email protected]
Mobi 07775 029558

I would probably do some of the documented roads in Switzerland, ie Furka and Susten passes there are some great views to see and a couple of glaciers on the way, you can actually go into the one on the Furka which is mind blowing. Drop into Austria and the Dolomites, again stunning views and roads and do an Italian lake or two before heading South towards Tuscany. Florence is also a stunning city.

On the way home the Cote d'Azur is a nice place to wind down, Monaco, Nice and Cannes. The route out of this area is great if you go via some of the national parks, massive open gorges and the National Park of Verdon is one of my favorites, you can also go via the Millau Viaduct before heading back north.

In reality there is so much to see and do.

Hi,

We did this in Sept similar route.

We basically went Calais, offenberg, through Black Forrest, down to Rhine falls, through Switzerland with a detour over the Furka and grimsel Pass, down to Cinque Terre and along the Italian riviera coast road (loads of tunnels😎), and into Tuscany. The road from Siena to the small town of pienza is worth a drive. We then headed up to the Dolomites via th great dolomite road, north across. The Austrian alps and back towards stuttgart with a Porsche museum visit....Then home via Ghent....This also passes the Nurburgring.

Thanks Chris and BChivs.....appreciate the feedback from your experiences

Some research to do there and will look into what you have said

Appreciate it

Regards

FRP said:
Has anyone done the mountain pass drive from Morez to Nyon ?

Took that route in August last summer as part of the journey between Dijon and Geneva, and would take that route again - good drive, some stunning scenery, and a pretty impressive view over towards Lake Geneva. The descent down the Route de Nyon is quite entertaining. On the whole, a much better option than the autoroute.

This was the early stages of a road trip that went as far south as Florence, with a stop in Geneva on the way there (would recommend the Hotel Rotary), Turin and Florence itself.

Turin itself is worth a look, although most of our sightseeing seemed to follow locations used in the Italian Job, and in fact stayed in an NH hotel that is part of the old Fiat factory in Lingotto - it also provided the option of the Grand St. Bernard's pass heading there from Turin.

We also did Bologna, Venice, and a stopover near Bormio (after the Stelvio Pass) before heading back into Switzerland to Davos. If you are heading that way, Livigno is probably the cheapest place in Europe to fill up thanks to it's tax free status, and the Fluela Pass is a superb piece of road. In Davos, the Intercontinental Hotel there is worth a look.

On a practical note, you can pick up a toll tag for Italy from www.tolltickets.com - makes the Autostrada a bit more painless - it's also valid in some car parks as well.

And finally, as an alternative to carrier bags :lol: we had a few of these, and another suitcase in the 997, which worked well on the rear shelf of the 997 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MUTG80

Thanks Graemep

Great info and some thoughts there

Geneva could be a good option also as we have some family in Segny

Appreciate it and your time to reply

Not a problem :thumb:

Jus spotted a mistake when I mentioned the St Bernard Pass - that should have been on the way to Turin from Geneva. That itself was a lot of motorway on the Swiss side but views over Lake Geneva and Montreaux made up for that, before getting back in the mountains towards Aosta.

One point on Geneva is the scarcity of hotel parking in the city centre. It took a while to decide. The Rotary has space in a secure car park across the street, and although it was valet parking, they were happy for me to park myself.

Thanks Martian

This is on the itinerary as far as I remember or think. I will post up the rough plans later today when I get them off my wife.

Getting a little excited now. 4 days till departure

Car is at 9e having a health check and some bits done. My wife has already told me not to plant it or race any Italians LOL 😂

Regards Faried

I'm sooo jealous! It was 2012 when I last drove into Europe.

Depending on where you pass through Switzerland, Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen are stunning. If you have a day where you want a break from driving, then get the rack railway up Jungfrau.

Lake Como is good too and not a million miles away from Stelvio.
Here's a little bit from when I went in my old campervan.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1477134&i=80

You can't really go wrong anywhere over there. You'll have a great time and make some memories of a lifetime.
Don't be posting pics when I'm enduring the daily grind though. :sad: :grin:

No, plenty of pics a must, on your return. I'll be taking notes for my next trip which will hopefully be next summer when I've stopped spending on the bloody car itself.

Enjoy! You jammy git. :mrgreen:

Thanks Mark

Just read the PH thr0ead,,,,awsome history there and some lifetime memories for sure

Will look into the Interlaken, looks great and only 50 odd miles from Cortona

I also had a box of producers, not helped by the fact i two was driving both a 205 gti 1.9 and a 2500 triumph that was an ex police car and a 4.20Jaguar with a manual box (all insured under my parents i might add). I actually have an apology from the Chiswick police station as one night i went out to get producers, i recieved 10 and was a right hoot going to the police station and watching the queue build up behind me as i produced one by one. We got to no 4 and he asked me how many i had LOL

Funniley enough, i have not been stopped much in the last 25 years !

rough itinerary with some detours enroute:

Friday 29th June 2018 – 1 night Folkestone Paid
Home to Folkestone 107 miles, 1 hour and a bit !

Saturday 30th June – 1 night Dijon Paid
Calais to Dijon 356 miles, 5 hours ish

Sunday 1st July – 1 night Innertkirchen
Dijon to Innertkirchen 219 miles 4 hours ish

Monday 2nd July – 1 night Como
Innertkirchen to Como, via Grimsel, Furka and Gotthard passes – 126 miles 3 hours ish

Tuesday 3rd July – 4 nights Castiglion Fiorentino
Como to Castiglion Fiorentino, 279 miles, 4 hours ish

Saturday 7th July – 3 nights Lucca
Castiglion Fiorentino to Lucca, 113 miles, 2 hours ish

Tuesday 10th July – 2 nights Riomaggiore
Lucca to Riomaggiore, 61.2 miles, 1 hour ish

Thursday 12th July – 1 night Ventimiglia
Riomaggiore to Ventimiglia 173 miles, 3 hours ish

Friday 13th July – 1 night Beaune
Ventimiglia to Beaune, 412 miles, 6 hours ish

Saturday 14th July
Beaune to Calais, 382 miles, 5 hours ish
Eurotunnel

10 producers. Brilliant. :hand:

I once had to go to the police station for driving elsewhere than on a road. A football pitch.

And my mate Andy got caught testing his ex British Touring car on the road.

Good times. If rather daft.

Anyway have a safe trip. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back