Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash switches

Tycho

Hopefully an easy question – do the dash knob/switches simply pull off to access the bulbs. Tried a little gentle pressure but don't want to damage expensive Porsche plastic.
Thanks.

I think the light switch is the only one that contains a bulb. It does just pull off so that you can change the bulb when needed.

Are you referring to the switches for fog lights and screen heater?

They don't pull off but instead you need to prise out the plastic disc that has the symbol on it. Be careful as they are delicate and easily scratched. Use a plastic tool known as a 'spudger' if possible. Bulbs are a push fit capless type. Take care to fit the disc back in the correct orientation or risk ridicule from the illuminati.

The cigar lighter does not have a bulb behind the disc.

Yes, it is the fogs & the screen heater. I have changed the bulb in the headlight switch & wondered if the others were the same fitting. I looked at a parts diagram & it looked like the sections outside the dash were separate parts, good job I did not keep pulling!
This now leads me to another question re the headlight switch. When illuminated mine shows scratches around the edge – can you get new inserts? I have seen them for the fogs & screen heater but not the headlight.
Thanks, the post-Christmas tinkering continues.

Hi Tycho,

The fog / rear guard switches all unscrew. It's a lot easier to get the little disc with the symbol on it out with the knob out. When I did one of mine I used a mobile phone / Tablet kit which I got off the bay for £1.50. The kit for removing the battery for a phone or tablet, little plastic levers which don't mark or damage the disc.

Design 911 have all the parts:

http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=9&diagramID=2501

ATB :)

Attachments

• switch_203.jpg
    switch_203.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,162
madge said:
I think the light switch is the only one that contains a bulb. It does just pull off so that you can change the bulb when needed.

I really should check before posting a stupid answer. And be more observant, my dash switches do light up and I've never even noticed. :oops:

Thanks Decgraham, I will continue the tinkering.

Sorry for hijack but in same vein,

I've tried to switch the headlamp bulb before with LED type but think I've managed to destroy the contacts.

Reverting back to the little wheat grain bulbs and still no light.

Is the illumination function fused? Nothing else seems affected.
I'm loath to replace the full switch for the sake of the damaged illumination function but annoyed as I believe trying to force the LED type in crossed the contacts and has destroyed the circuit deep in the switch.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back