Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nearly new 718 Boxster with almost £12,000 off list

996ttalot said:
Zingari said:
:eek: So, if I buy one of these I'll get tarred and feathered :what:

I heard a 718S in the wild a few months back, wide awake colour, but sounded very nice - either the PSE or some other exhaust :dont know:

We have a shop 718s for development for exhaust, tuning, brake upgrades etc.

- Yes they sound different to the 981
- Is the sound bad? Not imo and it sounds nothing like a subaru on the road - it has a quite distinct sound and through the rev range the tone changes. It is just different, that is all.
- throttle response - I have not driven the 718 only the 718s. There is zero boost delay unlike some of the journals like autocar who claimed there was - in fact in sports plus mode boost is constant as can be seen on the dash.
- a 981 wouldn't see which way a 718s went there is that much difference in power delivery
- 718s stock around the ring is 7;46, gt4 is 7;42. Sportauto test and same driver. As Chris harris said if your in a gt4 and see a 718s behind you on the road you may as well pull over.
- a modified 718s will be an awesome track and road car.

At most OPC there is a 5-6 month wait to get a new car.

Ken

I would not agree that there is no lag. Its most obvious on a B road under hard braking / acceleration, you can't defy physics. I assume it would be much less obvious on a track. I drive on B roads not track but then again I just prefer the power delivery of a NA over turbo and the associated sound. It is just physics no matter how good the turbo engine is. I've been there, done it with highly modified turbo cars.

There is no doubt the 718 is a better car technically all round (although I prefer the 981 GTS look over the 718 more muted GTS look) but emotionally it is no where near as engaging as the 981, that is in terms of power delivery linked to one of the best NA soundtracks out there (even for a porsche).

No doubt tuners will love the 718 as FI offers much more potential but thats just not for me and IMHO will be another factor actually hitting residuals once cars are out of OPC warranty as so many will be "tuned". It is simply not the normal Porsche way which helps to retain values as so many are kept OEM.

Its a whole new market being opened up by the 4 pot turbo engines that porsche is now fitting. That is either exciting or not depending on your point of view, to me its not and many 981 owners are hanging onto their NA engines with an awesome soundtrack as you simply won't be able to buy that in the future, the real world view being the 718 is a step backwards where it matters ie its on another level lets be honest here, I've been driving a 488 spider this week and my GTS is on a par in terms of an aural emotional experience ie when comparing it with one of the best sounding V8 twin turbo engines you can buy.

Re there being long waiting lists to order one, yes you are no doubt correct but there are 3 relevant factors to consider contributing to that other than their "popularity":

- Porsche controlling supply
- the UK culture to order to spec (especially for luxury cars) compared to say the US where most luxury cars are bought pre built on off the forecourt
- orders made to simply " get on the list" and then cancelled (I now of 3). The OPC does not want to lose the build slot and so orders in as a demo / showroom car. Hence every time I go into OPC Glasgos, Bolton and Cheshire there are at least 5 Cayman/Boxster 718's for sale pre built.

The original post to this thread ie a highly discounted "nearly new" 718 is a concern as to how these could go. If OPC's are offloading stock with discounts then it will hit retained values ala BMW / Mercedes (in fact most other brands). Porsche has always cleverly avoided that in the most part, the 718 may present a risk and hence why I think Porsche are probably limiting supply to match what demand there is :dont know: (which is not from 981 owners "upgrading", normally an important sales stream).

911TEL said:
Only a New buyer would consider one I think ......

Not sure I would.... :?:

But thanks for checking :thumb:

Though nothing to do with the lag, ahem, lack of Porsche flat four heritage :wink:

Porsche_718_F2_front-left_Porsche_Museum.jpg

:thumbs:

jonttt said:
996ttalot said:
Zingari said:

I heard a 718S in the wild a few months back, wide awake colour, but sounded very nice - either the PSE or some other exhaust :dont know:

We have a shop 718s for development for exhaust, tuning, brake upgrades etc.

- Yes they sound different to the 981
- Is the sound bad? Not imo and it sounds nothing like a subaru on the road - it has a quite distinct sound and through the rev range the tone changes. It is just different, that is all.
- throttle response - I have not driven the 718 only the 718s. There is zero boost delay unlike some of the journals like autocar who claimed there was - in fact in sports plus mode boost is constant as can be seen on the dash.
- a 981 wouldn't see which way a 718s went there is that much difference in power delivery
- 718s stock around the ring is 7;46, gt4 is 7;42. Sportauto test and same driver. As Chris harris said if your in a gt4 and see a 718s behind you on the road you may as well pull over.
- a modified 718s will be an awesome track and road car.

At most OPC there is a 5-6 month wait to get a new car.

Ken

I would not agree that there is no lag. Its most obvious on a B road under hard braking / acceleration, you can't defy physics. I assume it would be much less obvious on a track. I drive on B roads not track but then again I just prefer the power delivery of a NA over turbo and the associated sound. It is just physics no matter how good the turbo engine is. I've been there, done it with highly modified turbo cars.

There is no doubt the 718 is a better car technically all round (although I prefer the 981 GTS look over the 718 more muted GTS look) but emotionally it is no where near as engaging as the 981, that is in terms of power delivery linked to one of the best NA soundtracks out there (even for a porsche).

No doubt tuners will love the 718 as FI offers much more potential but thats just not for me and IMHO will be another factor actually hitting residuals once cars are out of OPC warranty as so many will be "tuned". It is simply not the normal Porsche way which helps to retain values as so many are kept OEM.

Its a whole new market being opened up by the 4 pot turbo engines that porsche is now fitting. That is either exciting or not depending on your point of view, to me its not and many 981 owners are hanging onto their NA engines with an awesome soundtrack as you simply won't be able to buy that in the future, the real world view being the 718 is a step backwards where it matters ie its on another level lets be honest here, I've been driving a 488 spider this week and my GTS is on a par in terms of an aural emotional experience ie when comparing it with one of the best sounding V8 twin turbo engines you can buy.

Re there being long waiting lists to order one, yes you are no doubt correct but there are 3 relevant factors to consider contributing to that other than their "popularity":

- Porsche controlling supply
- the UK culture to order to spec (especially for luxury cars) compared to say the US where most luxury cars are bought pre built on off the forecourt
- orders made to simply " get on the list" and then cancelled (I now of 3). The OPC does not want to lose the build slot and so orders in as a demo / showroom car. Hence every time I go into OPC Glasgos, Bolton and Cheshire there are at least 5 Cayman/Boxster 718's for sale pre built.

The original post to this thread ie a highly discounted "nearly new" 718 is a concern as to how these could go. If OPC's are offloading stock with discounts then it will hit retained values ala BMW / Mercedes (in fact most other brands). Porsche has always cleverly avoided that in the most part, the 718 may present a risk and hence why I think Porsche are probably limiting supply to match what demand there is :dont know: (which is not from 981 owners "upgrading", normally an important sales stream).

How did you get on with the 488? I've been in and out of Ferrari dealers over the past few months, and just can't find it or anything similar compelling enough..

Especially that I currently think there's going to be a huge price correction in the next 18 months imo ymmv etc.. :?:

New997buyer said:
911TEL said:

Not sure I would.... :?:

But thanks for checking :thumb:

Though nothing to do with the lag, ahem, lack of Porsche flat four heritage :wink:

Porsche_718_F2_front-left_Porsche_Museum.jpg

:thumbs:

Funny you should jump in , because as I was writing 'New buyer ' I had to consciously put the space in ...I knew you would be in on it ....

That 718 looks great , bet it sounds better than the new 718 ....

I'm just not getting the 4cylinders ...
They will be back to 6 ....

s2000db said:
How did you get on with the 488? I've been in and out of Ferrari dealers over the past few months, and just can't find it or anything similar compelling enough..

Especially that I currently think there's going to be a huge price correction in the next 18 months imo ymmv etc.. :?:

Now that I have a photo hosting account other than photobucket I can start to post pictures again.....

fT50EBp.jpg

What can I say, its a ferrari. I've actually been driving it this week including a trip down to Birmingham to pick up a new California T with a mate (well my dentist). They are always an experience and fun. I like it, the build quality has got better over the past couple of generations since the 430 (the one we had fell apart over 30K) but its a £200k plus car so its a different world to give comparisons about, they are what they are.

Re price I'm not sure a market adjustment is as relevant in this market, we paid list for this (it was a mates cancelled order, so we just gave him his deposit so he did not lose it) and could flip it for an easy £20k profit. It will stay on our company car fleet for a while and we will probably get our money back depending how long and what mileage we put on it.
My dentist mate bought his on Ferrari finance. He reckons it will cost him c£10k over 2 years all in (he is not knew to Ferrari) as he will only do about 4k in it over the 2 years. Ferrari are doing 7 years free servicing (3 year warranty) as standard now to prove that they stand by their product etc.... with cheap finance I know a few people who cannot afford to outlay £200k and tie it up for 2 years but they can easily easily afford £20 deposit etc.... In my mates words "its cheaper than running a merc" :grin:

nb we sold an F12 late last year, been running it for 2 years and it had nearly 30k on it yet we got 2/3 original list price from a ferrari dealer for it. There has been more demand than supply on most ferrari's for a while now, plenty of money out there despite the "continued recession" and 3rexit (can't put the word as the software changes it to 911UK :hand:)

ps the 981 GTS sounds better, thats how good it sounds :thumb:

911TEL said:
spongebob squarepants said:
Mrs sponge summed it up last month looking at one in OPC Leeds "is this a Porsche?" Enough said....

1st Time I heard one in ABZ OPC the head salesman clocked my disbelieving contorted face and asked me if I didn't like the new 718 ??

It sounded like a Subaru in a Porsche body........ I also couldn't buy one .... looks good , sounds terrible but the beat and the proper burble isn't there .... so why would anyone ?

but not for me ...

The salesman fetched the keys and started it to show us how bad it sounded. I agreed fully with him it sounded sort of broken? Defo not for me, each to their own though :thumb:

The fact that the sound is being seriously questioned is enough. IMO we are way past what I consider to be the best balance of tech/feedback/performance. All downhill from here. It started with piped exhaust sounds and turbo chargers for 'normal' cars. It will end with us all driving milkfloats.

MC

Many thanks for the info jonttt, most helpful... However it seems they are selling s/h once they are around £200k or less (the dealer marked one down by £10k while I was there!). The dealer told me to factor in at least £40K depreciation for the first year/2K miles, and tbh £20/mile depreciation is crazy imo... Would love to know how you can do it cheaper, perhaps finance is the answer??

911TEL said:
Funny you should jump in , because as I was writing 'New buyer ' I had to consciously put the space in ...I knew you would be in on it ....

:grin:

911TEL said:
That 718 looks great , bet it sounds better than the new 718 ....

I'm just not getting the 4cylinders ...
They will be back to 6 ....

Saw the original 718 at the museum last year before heading up to Dinslaken. Lovely looking thing.

I've genuinely no preference on flat four or six. Agree flat sixes sound better. But power trains and the tech behind them are changing rapidly. I've no idea what'll they'll be like in ten years time :dont know:

718 Boxster now 'Reserved'. Told you it was a bargain and underpriced :grin:

Zingari said:

If you are tarred and feather it will most likely be for another reason :grin: :grin:

They are lovely cars to drive, though I'm not sure the PDK is as good a match for a small block turbo as it is for the older flat-6.

Zingari said:

When are you collecting it?

I need to start the tar warming.

PeterS said:
Zingari said:

When are you collecting it?

I need to start the tar warming.

The Illuminati have already held a meeting and started :nooo:

Illuminati.jpg

PS: I didn't buy it. 3 months back and I would have..............

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back