Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Airbag light

pierrebear

Evening and happy new year fellow 911ukers

Whilst driving home tonight, my airbag light came on (and has proceeded to stay on) - no idea why or how as I was just driving along merrily.

I've had a look at some of the older threads but can't work out if this is something that needs to be fixed immediately or can be ignored until the next time it's at my local Indy? All thoughts gratefully received as ever.

Pierre

What's the battery like? Sometimes a faulty/weak battery can cause the airbag light to come on.

Check the fuses (not sure if there is one?) but reset can only be done with a diagnostic tool and ideal to read the fault codes. If you know someone local with one it's a quick job plugging into OBD2 port.

Hmm thanks, Zingers - I didn't think the battery was particularly weak but it might be. I do get the impression that mine is getting a lot more use now than it did with its previous owner!

Will get the local Indy to plug it in next time it's in...trying to avoid becoming to much of a regular there though as it's only recently had the new front discs put on!

I had the same issue and eventually had the guys at Precision take a look. Had to replace the airbag control unit (can't recall if that's what it's called technically). Wasn't cheap! I think it set me back over £500 :eek: :eek:

Update: today the light magically vanished whilst on the way to work! On the down side I got splashed by a huge wave whilst driving. An excuse for another valet methinks...

The most common cause for the air bag light to be lit is that the warning light bulb itself has intermittent contact. The bulb is supervised by the control unit, and any hiccups in the bulb holder or clock instrument connector will cause the control unit to fire a fault, and light the warning lamp.
This problem can be prevented by turning the warning lamp in the bulb holder, as well as pulling out the connector a few times. This will remove any corrosion on the contacts.
As mentioned above, a Porsche compatible OBD tool will reveal the cause for the alarm.
Cheers,
Tore

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back