Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic gear selector.

I Saw that yesterday Chris ,good price for OE but is the dropped spring an issue eg getting it out or replaced. :?:
the other thing that I wasnt sure of was the silver push button not sure but arent the OE ones carbon aswell :?:

Phil 997 said:
I Saw that yesterday Chris ,good price for OE but is the dropped spring an issue eg getting it out or replaced. :?:
the other thing that I wasnt sure of was the silver push button not sure but arent the OE ones carbon aswell :?:

I did wonder about the button, I think the spring can be sorted but I also noted a couple of marks where someone with no care as dislodged the button :x

silvermilnec said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/07-Porsche-911-Turbo-997-1031-Carbon-Fiber-Tiptronic-Shifter-Shift-Knob-OEM/142571730057?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D8213111d28494f3daf849265c89d07ec%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D263336550263&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Interesting, anyone think it looks oem??
I think that it looks OEM but they broke it whilst dismantling. It may be an easy fix if you can get the spring separately?

The silver button can be bought and replaced on its own , not sure if it comes with the spring but thats there only to hold the button in one position.

Could you not use the spring from your old knob ?

The button comes in 2 colours .. basically both are silver but one is textured and a slighlty different colour .. Oh yea .. one is 3 times the price of the other lol

x2 methods of removeing the button .. one is to pull it off the pin but without pulling it back so far that the spring stretches .. yea good luck with that method .

I use a plastic trim tool and lever out the button and pin together .. its brutal to look at but leaves no marks and you dont damage the spring .

Demort said:
The silver button can be bought and replaced on its own , not sure if it comes with the spring but thats there only to hold the button in one position.

The button comes in 2 colours .. basically both are silver but one is textured and a slighlty different colour .. Oh yea .. one is 3 times the price of the other lol

x2 methods of removeing the button .. one is to pull it off the pin but without pulling it back so far that the spring stretches .. yea good luck with that method .

I use a plastic trim tool and lever out the button and pin together .. its brutal to look at but leaves no marks and you dont damage the spring .
thanks demort yes that's how I took mine off when I stripped the centre console. Yes I could use the button and spring from mine. I am tempted but don't tell the wife I've just kicked off over the cost of Christmas 😂😂😂😂

Demort said:

*****, thats why your the tech Iain . It never crosed my mind to do that.

:grin:

Phil 997 said:
Demort said:

*****, thats why your the tech Iain . It never crosed my mind to do that.

:grin:

Here he goes :floor:

So I sat down today to have a look at pulling the tip and the pdk selector apart to see if a pdk selector can be fitted to a tip.
They are two completely different setups, the way they are held to the selector shaft and also the gear selection - I was hoping for a "plug & play" solution, but no such luck :nooo:
I had bought a second hand working tip selector to do this mod-the idea was-do the mod, install, done! but one of the solenoids on my cars selector gave up and I ended up, luckily, having a spare for the dealership to replace.
Now I will have to mod the non working selector & then pull apart my working selector to complete, which I'm not to happy about as all the second hand tip selectors are going for about £300 :sad:
My plan is to 3D print a base like on the pdk selector shaft to be able to lock the selector in place, I will also get 2 grooves machined into the tip shaft as the pdk selector knob sits with a different orientation to the tip one.
Dimensions of the two selectors shafts are slightly different with the pdk shaft standing 10mm longer, but I don't think that will be a problem, also the pdk surround doesn't have the same throw as the tip does, so will look into that in the future.
So for now stage one complete, now will see about get the 3D base completed and the grooves machined into the old tip shaft.
Updates to come :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_1117_116.jpg
    img_1117_116.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 1,588
  • img_1122_158.jpg
    img_1122_158.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 1,587
  • img_1128_363.jpg
    img_1128_363.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 1,587
  • img_1130_196.jpg
    img_1130_196.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 1,584
Great work Nick!! I might know where a £45 black tip might be for sale do you want me to ask??

silvermilnec said:
Great work Nick!! I might know where a £45 black tip might be for sale do you want me to ask??
Please if it's functional, thanks :thumbs:

nikos525 said:
silvermilnec said:

To be clear it's only the knob! 😂

silvermilnec said:
nikos525 said:
silvermilnec said:

To be clear it's only the knob! 😂

Ah OK, I thought it was the whole selector, no don't worry then.
Thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back