Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 991 (pics)

Looks great, congrats :thumb:

Thank you all for the positive comments and feedback.

The interior is Two Tone Agate & Pebble Grey. The dash and steering wheel look almost like a dark chocolatey brown, but in the flesh this looks far better than it sounds {trust me}. The two colours compliment each other really well, and with the exterior colour in black, the combination really is stunning. I've made a few subtle changes, including Gold Centre wheel crests, and removal of the rear "Carrera S" badge; I didn't like the heavy wording on the tail, but kept the "911" badge, centred.

My 997 is now sold, and this was always a pit-stop car, as I craved a 991. In terms of comparisons, I've had both generations of the 997 (manual and PDK) and there is no question it is a fantastic car to drive.

However, in my personal opinion, the 991 feels, inch-for-inch, far better than it's predecessor. Although the BHP difference is minor, the 991 feels so much more potent and responsive than the 997. The "kick-down" power -in any gear - is delivered immediately, even in Normal driving modes. You still get the satisfaction of the spirited 997, but the 991 feels more refined with a greater sophistication and precision to it.

Again, totally subjective, but for me the Interior and Exterior styling is a huge step-up. The longer wheel base suits the car, I think it's a great design. The cabin alone is a thing of sheer beauty, it looks - and feels - so much more luxurious and spacious.

When I was shopping around, I always wanted the Carrera Classic alloys, BOSE, and a Sunroof. My car has none of the above, yet I couldn't care less. The "standard" speakers are more than adequate for me, and the cleaner lines of the Coupe roof make up for the absence of the glass panoramic panel. As far as the alloys go, the more I see the 'S' rims, the more I like 'em. Even my wife describes them as "Funky"! I'll take that.

I find it surprising to say this, but I don't miss my 997 at all. As great as it was, the 991 is the more special of the two.

Lovely car and an interesting read Vs 997. I came to 911's with the 991 and people are always a bit sniffy about about the steering so that's good to hear!

:thumb:

It's a bit like all the mags currently ranting that the only good GTS is a Manual C2. Grrr! :evil:

I had driven 991's whilst I owned a 997 (I hired a Targa 4S for a BH weekend to get a real feel for the car).

The 991 electric steering didn't make any difference whatsoever, versus the 997 hydraulic. Honestly speaking, if I didn't know better, I'd struggle to notice the change.

On a separate note, the Tax on the 991 is £200 cheaper - every little helps!! :thumb:

911_AS said:
However, in my personal opinion, the 991 feels, inch-for-inch, far better than it's predecessor. Although the BHP difference is minor, the 991 feels so much more potent and responsive than the 997. The "kick-down" power -in any gear - is delivered immediately, even in Normal driving modes. You still get the satisfaction of the spirited 997, but the 991 feels more refined with a greater sophistication and precision to it.
Interesting, how much of that do you think is due to the upgraded PDK in the 991? Because when I tested a 991, I didn't really think the drive was that different and the increase in power/weight wasn't really noticeable, or at least not worth the extra £25-30k.

I'd still love to upgrade to a 991 of course, it did feel better in every way as you say (especially the gearbox), but the cost to change doesn't seem to be coming down! :lol:

I've actually just returned home from a 50-mile journey, and the Drive feels more satisfying than my previous car.

The revised PDK is definitely a factor which has improved the drive; that and many other changes. As well as the transmission, I think the longer wheel-base adds greater stability / traction to the car too. I am not one to take my car to a Track, but even on daily roads, I feel that tiny bit more confident on the car's cornering agility. The Brakes also feel a 'smidge' sharper.

Overall, the 991 has a little more comfort, far less tyre noise, and a much-better sounding PSE than the 997. As I said before, this feels more like a GT car, but still retains the Sports characteristics that 911 owners want. Little things like PDLS and the fourth-dial 'Infotainment' LCD display are really, erm, 'nice' (apologies for use of that word). Without question, it's the best 911 I've owned so far.

The cost to upgrade is bloody high(!), it's not exactly "value-for-money". However, putting the finances to one side, I would say it is worth it if - IF - you can comfortably afford it. Should cars ever become a financial burden, reach for the Classifieds and get it listed and shifted.

Unfortunately, being the last of the NA engines, I do not think the prices will be dropping anytime soon.

On a completely separate note, a good mate of mine has a 991.2 Carrera S and literally "HATES" the Turbo sound; I don't think he is alone.

Moodytunes said:
Nice looking motor :thumbs:

See you on Thurs. eve.

:thumb: :D

Congratulations 911_AS, the 991 looks fantastic, wheels included :thumb:

Very interesting that you're so positive having been an experienced 997 owner. Accepting that the 991 is a fundamentally 'better" car is one thing, but you seem to be saying you enjoy it more too, which is an eye opener.

Is that your old Meteor Grey 997 at Stirlings now?

blackram said:
Great thread, really interesting.

Thanks mate, I blame you entirely for amplifying my purchase!

:thumbs:

MJA911 said:
Congratulations 911_AS, the 991 looks fantastic, wheels included :thumb:

Very interesting that you're so positive having been an experienced 997 owner. Accepting that the 991 is a fundamentally 'better" car is one thing, but you seem to be saying you enjoy it more too, which is an eye opener.

Is that your old Meteor Grey 997 at Stirlings now?

Thanks MJA. I'm loving the 991 more and more daily. It just feels - to me - like a more exciting and special car, outside of the fundamental differences which are most certainly apparent.

Yes, that is my old 997 at Stirlings. I can testify it is an immaculate example! :thumb: If anyone is in the market for a well-spec'd, low mileage Gen 2, call Mark Pearce.

I've been reading this thread with interest as I was always on the borderline of 997.2 or 991 but at the time of buying couldn't financially stretch or justify the the 991. The 997.2 has been great however lately I have been pondering making the same move as you. If you don't mind me asking, roughly what was the gap to make up between 997.2 and 991??

boardingnath997 said:
I've been reading this thread with interest as I was always on the borderline of 997.2 or 991 but at the time of buying couldn't financially stretch or justify the the 991. The 997.2 has been great however lately I have been pondering making the same move as you. If you don't mind me asking, roughly what was the gap to make up between 997.2 and 991??

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this. It all comes down to the spread and what you are prepared to spend to upgrade.

Some 997's are £40k, whereas others are valued @ £60k! Same goes for the 991: I've seen some advertised for mid-£50's, whilst others are closer to six figures.

As I said, just like any car, it will ultimately come down to what you are prepared to spend and what your 997 is worth, as the spread between the two will always vary.

Personally, my decision was more Heart over Head. My 997 was great, but every time I saw a 991 I knew I wanted one. Life's too short, so I pulled the trigger.

......that should of course read 'heart over head' and a little gently-applied persuasion! Sorry! although it sounds as though you're not! Also I haven't had the issue of my car going into any 'sleep mode' yet only because I haven't left it parked up in the garage for long enough :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back