Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 rear PU brackets

9xxnick

Spa-Francorchamps
Has anyone ever found a source for a stainless steel version of the more complex of the two brackets that support the lower edge of the rear PU at the sides of the car? I know Orangecurry had some of the rears made up but I've never seen the more complicated bracket made up in stainless.

I'm just not that keen on fitting another set of expensive and rot-prone standard ones.

I Just went with the factory ones but drilled tiny holes and wax proofed them inside and out then put self tappers in the holes

They look as fresh as the day I fitted them a good few years ago

yes as Tony says - do that! Think I may have had mine power coated but can't swear I wasn't dreaming that? Also - forget the costo-millions OPC fasteners and use as much generic stainless or copper as you can find to attach anything buried at the arse-end of the 993. :thumbs:

How long do you require them to last? My originals have just been replaced at 142K miles and 24 years. They'd held fast through sun rain sleet and snow and as much salt our roads could throw at them.

I just recovered al that silver foil behind the rear PU with silver aluminium tape from Halfords ,looks like it just came from factory ,but no one will ever see it :)

wozy said:
How long do you require them to last? My originals have just been replaced at 142K miles and 24 years. They'd held fast through sun rain sleet and snow and as much salt our roads could throw at them.

My originals were replaced in 2010 (at c70K miles) and one of the replacement complex ones now has enough corrosion on it (at c106K miles) to have allowed it to fail at its lower attachment point. I suppose it's one of those things I'd like to more or less fit and forget rather than something which clearly needs periodic inspection, albeit with the day of reckoning being put off with some aftermarket rustproofing.

As an aside, my car was registered in January 1994 so was close to yours in build date, I assume.

The case for using decent S/S or copper fasteners is pretty clear - they simply mean any subsequent work that involves taking bits off will be that much easier and not require an angle grinder. With items like the main heat shields being fashioned from mike steel then a common way they fail is corrosion around the screw head that holds them in place rather than because the whole thing is shot. So again improving the fasteners can help. Not sure about the PU brackets but it kind of annoys me they should even corrode or rust at all!!

I had mine powder coated but they were ok to begin with, stainy items would be brilliant but perhaps overkill.

I've recently ordered more generic chimney nuts and stainless M8 70mm bolts, washers and nuts for my exhaust clamps. Much better items than those from Porsche without the silly tax for what is a commodity item.

Great tip regarding the Alu tape, I shall get some from halfrauds
Trev

9xxnick said:
wozy said:

My originals were replaced in 2010 (at c70K miles) and one of the replacement complex ones now has enough corrosion on it (at c106K miles) to have allowed it to fail at its lower attachment point. I suppose it's one of those things I'd like to more or less fit and forget rather than something which clearly needs periodic inspection, albeit with the day of reckoning being put off with some aftermarket rustproofing.

As an aside, my car was registered in January 1994 so was close to yours in build date, I assume.

Corrosion is a bizarre thing on a car, and it seems more so on 993s. How can mine be just about the same build age as yours, it's always been used throughout the year (for the first 18 years of its life up north in Cumbria) yet bumper stays lasted twice the mileage and seven years longer. It defies logic.

They appear to be available on Carnewal website.

wozy said:
Corrosion is a bizarre thing on a car, and it seems more so on 993s. How can mine be just about the same build age as yours, it's always been used throughout the year (for the first 18 years of its life up north in Cumbria) yet bumper stays lasted twice the mileage and seven years longer. It defies logic.

Agreed. I have seen similar phenomena with other cars including Alfas, with some rusting badly and others being corrosion-free in the same location. Thankfully the rest of the car is extremely good with even the windscreen pillars and chassis rails only needing a small amount of rust treatment as a preventative measure. I've also waxed the car extensively with Dinitrol. Perhaps my PU supports have become "sacrifificial" under the waxing regime.

The PU supports on Carnewal are the standard factory parts rather than being stainless, though the photo does make them appear slightly silver in colour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back