Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 turbo, the story so far.....

I can't believe I missed your side scoop build until now! I am waiting for a set to come from the guy in the US. Been stuck at Heathrow for the last few days according to the tracking. No doubt an import tax bill will arrive shortly. I am fitting them for practical reasons but must say yours actually do look very good.

911tom - Thanks very much, I appreciate that.

I've read that the ones from the states have given good results with reducing the IATs. They'll hopefully make a nice difference on a heavily tuned car like yours. I look forward to seeing them fitted. :thumb:

I would be interested to see before and after data with these fitted to see what hapoens with the IAT. I assume they help at lower speeds where airflow is an issue?

MC

Hopefully will catch a fair bit more air at all speeds. My AITs were getting far too high a Vmax so it is essential. I will also be adding meth in the new year. I seem to remember Jonnydangerous did some testing on these scoops. I look to see if I can find the thread.

Side Scoops look incredible, really like them!

Interested on your thoughts on the front bumper now you've had it a while? I've got a scratch in my bumper and it's almost the perfect excuse to completely do away with the standard Turbo set and do something similar to you

Jay. - Thanks again mate, glad you like the side scoops.

I'm still really happy with the way the front end turned out. It took me a long time to decide to go ahead with the bumper vents as I was a bit concerned they wouldn't look right with the turbo bumper. It's a personal thing though, I'm sure a lot of people would prefer the front without the vents, but I'm happy I went through with it.

If you decide to go ahead with it, or if you just want some more info, give me a shout. If you've got any questions about anything I've done, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Hope you've had a good Christmas.

:thumb:

For some strange reason I had not seen this thread until today, but I have just read the whole thing and have to say how impressed I am at many of the things you have done especially given you did not just buy off the shelf mods.
I LIKE 99% of what you have done and much of it is similar to things I have done to either my 997.1 or 997.2 but for me my two favorite bits and its because of the time and thought are the way the smile grille mesh is moulded to come up within the vent. this is better than OE and looks great , I also love the way you have kept the 996 headlights but now they have a slant to the 911 round headlights again this was Imo HOW Porsche should have made them in the first place. I also like the front grille with the DRLs looks very 997 turbo in some of the pics.

I do like that headlight tint you used early on and am going to try it on my gen2.

I also used a lot of carbon dip on my gen1 and did all the frunk trim in it.

Very very impressed :worship: keep up the great work :grin: :thumb: I look forward to reading about what else your going to do. oh yes and finally thumbs up on the number plate :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 - Thanks very much mate, really appreciate the compliments.

The headlight tint film should look good on your aqua blue 997. I look forward to seeing a few pictures when it's done.

I'll keep the updates coming as often as I can, glad you're enjoying the thread.

:thumb:

Hey mate, yeah, I'm still around. I didn't realise how long it had been since my last post.

I'd love to be able to say I've done loads of work to the car since then, but unfortunately I've had a busy year with other things taking priority.

I have made a few changes though and I've been meaning to post some pictures and info to see what you guys think. I'll put some updates on soon when I get some time.

Hope you manage to find the right buyer for yours. It looks great in the advert. That thing must be a monster. :thumb:

Ahh glad to hear it! Look forward to the updates dude!

I've actually started to fettle mine a bit again, I'm currently in the middle of a front end refresh, powdercoated rad brackets, new rads/condensers, bit of a respray at the front. The more I do the less I want to sell it.

I think I'll get some use out of it this year but keep it up for sale on here in case someone wants a well sorted car. If not then at least I'm getting pleasure out of it.

Don't hang around posting your updates!!

Cheers mate, I'm pleased you've enjoyed the thread so far.

Glad to hear that you're still tinkering with yours as well. :thumb:

It's been quite a long time since my last update on the car and that's mostly down to it being exactly the same for several months. I was trying to enjoy the car as it was and driving it as much as possible.

Here's a few shots I took while out for a drive with a few friends along my favourite road. Of course, we had to stop in the usual spot to take a couple of photos.

Untitled by Dave W, on Flickr

by Dave W, on Flickr

After several months of the car looking how it did above, I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with it. I was quite happy with the way the majority of the car looked, but there were still aspects of it that I felt didn't really look right.

The biggest one for me was the rear spoiler. The spoiler was something that, to me at least, looked a bit too much like an obviously aftermarket addition and I was never really happy with the way it looked.

I decided to experiment with fitting the original spoiler back on the car and see if I preferred the look. It took me a little while to get used to seeing it without the larger rear wing, but I decided to sell the aftermarket spoiler and stick with the original one.........for now.

While I was deciding on the rear spoiler, I also decided to make a small and subtle change to the rear lights. I had previously covered the lower section of the rear lights in a tint film from Lamin-x. I trimmed a small section of the film along the outer edge of the lense. The results are very subtle, but I felt it looked better this way.

While I was trying to decide on the rear spoiler, I figured the best way was to go for a drive and take some photos.

by Dave W, on Flickr

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back