Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

golden rod question

johne

if i buy just the golden rod .will it shorten the throws on my gear change .sorry may be a bit of a silly question .without buying the other bits and pieces

I tried a pals car who had the rod and RS shift already fitted along with the MPL slave cylinder. Trying it convinced me I needed it and it will convince you as well. The goldenrod doesn't have rubber bushes so introduces a more mechanical feel to the shift. The RS lever reduces travel of the gear change itself and the MPL reduces pressure needed for the clutch. Do all these things at once and the net result is the whole process of changing gear, something you do a lot in a 993, is massively improved. Try and find a local owner who has had it done and give it a try. I'm massively pleased I did it- money well spent. Best thing is visually it all looks standard which was important for me.

No, the 'golden rod' on its own won't reduce the throw of the gear shift. You'll need a short shift kit, in addition to the rod, to reduce the throw.

I've got the GR but I still don't really like the gear change of my car. Maybe I need to add the SSK to get the full benefit. :dont know: Perhaps some of the problem was that the necessary adjustments weren't done when the GR was installed resulting in the gear stick sitting too far forward (resolved just prior to hibernation). Watch out for this if you have one fitted.

I had just the RS shift rod fitted to my car a couple of years ago. I think it made a significant improvement to the feel of the gear change. The RS shift rod (which I understand the Golden Rod is modelled on) has a simple Hooke's coupling in place of the surprisingly sloppy rubber joint in the regular shift rod.

Leaving out the SSK on a 4wd car is a much easier decision as it requires a modification to the (removable) under-tray to give the necessary clearance. Its not irreversible as Porsche still list these under-trays if you ever wanted to put it back to stock, but it was enough to put me off.

tim

Goldenrod, SSK and MPL great improvement but I also had to adjust the position of the gear stick after fitting.

FD supply the goldenrod and also do their own short shift lever all as a complete kit with fantastic fitting instructions.

Instructions are very clear and I fitted them in a couple of hours but I did have access to a ramp which meant I could stand under the car to do the work.

As stated by others in this thread it definitely transforms the gear change on the car.

It's definitely worth changing both at the same time and I think it will be a big mistake just to fit the goldenrod

johne said:
Thanks so much as aways a wealth of Information

Just buy the OEM RS shifter first and get it installed. Cheap as chips and the difference is night and day.
Or possibly waste a large sum of money on the golden rod if you wish first. However if you are happy with the shift action already, then why spend zillions on something you may not require.

As you can possibly tell ...... Im not a big fan of the emperors new clothes :D
:thumb:

wozy said:
johne said:

Just buy the OEM RS shifter first and get it installed. Cheap as chips and the difference is night and day.
Or possibly waste a large sum of money on the golden rod if you wish first. However if you are happy with the shift action already, then why spend zillions on something you may not require.

Sorry to be a bit thick, could you expand on that sentiment Wozy, I must say I've made a few faddy improvements to later regret.............

wozy said:
johne said:

the goldenrod negates the lump of (perishing) rubber on the oe shaft. how can it not have any effect? i can assure you it does, having fitted one to mine with the RS shift lever also. yes its pricey, but it fits first time. i daresay you could knock up copies from an original, if someone had the time and inclination, reasonably cheaply.

Perhaps there are a few that remember the original Minis with rubber uj's same principal, if less stressed. Not too long ago and perhaps today there wasn't much difference costwise between a Goldenrod and the pucka RS one.
As for a diy one it's been done but when you can get one so easily and it really does improve the shift,just do it, wish I could say the same for the 944 it's still crap and I've thrown everything at it.
Engineering wise it's a bodge (the original) they didn't stint on the RS.

i have a ramp .but decided to do the suspension first. booked into centre of gravity in January. so ill see how much I spend on the car then .so far ive had the car around 16 months and done the check strap .rs engine mounts. tune up at waynnes including fitments of new suction diaphrams .changed the turbo twists .and other small bits and pieces .trying to do a couple of jobs a year but depends on my budget . I remember someone saying on here you can throw £10,000 at a 993 .that is so true . but I still love this car

Wise move CoG are great. Oh you can throw a lot more than that at a 993. I've had mine for 15yrs, never regretted a moment's ownership. The only car I've owned that has appreciated. I wonder what the Maxi HL would fetch now?

Yes the RS rod (in Porsche packaging, part number starting 964....) is a little more expensive than a Golden Rod. I wasn't aware there were OEM versions available as well? Personally I think the SSK and RS rod achieve slightly different things, but unless you really want a shorter (and therefore stiffer) throw of the lever as well as the more precise action then fitting one or both is a personal choice thing. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back