Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CTEK Battery Changer - educate me please!

MattyR

Imola
So the general consensus is the MCS 5.0 yes?

Anyone happen to know the length of cable from the plug to the conditioner unit?
Can I plug straight into the ciggy lighter in a 1995 993 or direct to battery only?

Will it recondition a drained battery due to lack of use (new battery but drained through car sitting on drive under cover for 2 months!).

Length is about two meters (too cold outside for checking).
Yes, you can plug it in the cigarette lighter.
Yes, it should recondition your recent but drained battery.

MattyR said:
So the general consensus is the MCS 5.0 yes?

Can I plug straight into the ciggy lighter in a 1995 993 or direct to battery only?

Only works if cigarette lighter remains live with key out of ignition, can't remember if they do??

Ciggy lighter liive with ign. Ctek can supply lead which you can tuck under carpet. Push down on frunk locking cam so you can run a lead into car with bonnet on safety catch, locks and alarm can be activated. Dont forget to pull bonnet release and close before driving off. I fitted a remote socket which indicates battery condition.

I have an 'eyelet' connector permanently in place on the battery with the cable run under the carpet to just next to the frunk struts.

Most of the time that cable is connected to a second cable through into the cabin to power my DAB/USB, but can also be plugged into the charger at this point with the bonnet closing as usual.

The Ctek M S 5.0 is fantastic. I was able to revitalize my old Banner battery(Only after investing in a new Bosch S5 of course). The standard pack comes with eyelets and crocodile connections which work shorterm but you can buy a 'Comfort Connect Extension Cable' 2.5 meters long. What I would recommend, if you're not going to use the cigarette lighter, is the 'Comfort Indicator with 8mm Eyelet adaptors'. The eyelets on this fit perfectly onto your battery whereas the one supplied are too small and need to be cut and widened to fit. It also has a quick release option on the cable and fuse. I'm not sure what year/model cigarette lighters are 'live' when the ignition is off, maybe the Illuminati could divulge?

Baz

So what's the difference (apart from the price) between a CTEK and one of These :dont know:

I'm pretty sure a wiring mod needs to be made to make the lighter permanently live.
I think over the years a lot of cars have had this done. but it is not possible on tip cars. (i know cos i have one.).
I connected the eyelet cable to the terminals in the frunk and plug it in form there.
J

C-tek

Zingari said:
So what's the difference (apart from the price) between a CTEK and one of These :dont know:

About £50!
I have a c-tek which I bought in 2008, still works but the led on the screen is kaput. I also have a similar one as Zingari suggests bought from my favourite German outlet, Lidl for £15, recommended.

jhrfc said:
I'm pretty sure a wiring mod needs to be made to make the lighter permanently live.
I think over the years a lot of cars have had this done. but it is not possible on tip cars. (i know cos i have one.).
I connected the eyelet cable to the terminals in the frunk and plug it in form there.
J

Hi,

I have a 1995 TipS and the cigarette lighter is live with the ignition off and key out, maybe because it's US/EU spec :dont know: it hasn't had any wiring mods.

ATB :)

I bought one of those in my link and it looks good quality.

I thought my cheapo Halfords tricke charger that came with the 964 was knackered but it wasn't and after 5yrs with me its still going strong :worship:

The CTEK seems to be the 993 'must have' accessory along with wiper widget, plastic nipple covers under the spoiler, rubber bungs to hide the mirror screws and undercarriage teats :roll:

Zingari said:

I thought my cheapo Halfords tricke charger that came with the 964 was knackered but it wasn't and after 5yrs with me its still going strong :worship:

The CTEK seems to be the 993 'must have' accessory along with wiper widget, plastic nipple covers under the spoiler, rubber bungs to hide the mirror screws and undercarriage teats :roll:

:grin:

Zingari said:

:grin:

I'm sure other chargers are good. The reality is that Ctek are the industry standard. All car storage operations and dealers use them because they work really really well. For the sake of £30 difference I would go for the CTek as it's total piece of mind.

The recondition function has cured a long running battery problem on my AMG.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back