Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel cleaners

windflowers

Can anyone recommend an effective wheel cleaner? I've read quite a few reviews and they're varied. Also, as a 'wheel protector' I have tried Autoglym but it seems to be about as useful as a bugle player on a stealth mission.

An area of car detailing which has a multitude of opinions, but from my experience, Bilt Hamber auto wheels to get that initial clean. A little smelly though. :eek:

Seal with Gtechniq C5 wheel armour. Brake dust and dirt just slide off with normal washing. Had mine on for 3 years and wheels look as good as new after every wash. 8)

I must have tried just about everything over the last 20 years, bilberry, autoglym, etc etc.

Now I just use Virosol. 5ltrs for £7. Dilute it down and it lasts for years.

https://www.citrus-cleaning-supplie...MIl7iBob2P2AIVp7DtCh2DSAT8EAQYAiABEgKKe_D_BwE

I've used poorboys wheel sealant before and collinite wax and things seem ok.
At the end of the day though, wheels get brake dusty and no magic potion will stop that.
As long as they're in good condition they should clean up with hot soapy water no problem. The polishes and coatings may make it marginally easier.

I avoid Gtecniq like the plague since I used the C4 plastic and trim stuff on my wife's brand new Abarth and it wrecked certain parts. You always get the "you must have applied it incorrectly" response from Gtecniq HQ too.
Poor results and poor after sales.

Warm water and suds has never let me down week after week. :dont know:

Never understood people's inability to clean their wheels and get good results.

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, if they're bad. But like Alex says, keep on top of them and soap and water should be good enough.

Wheel Woolies.

FK1000p to seal.

alex yates said:
Warm water and suds has never let me down week after week. :dont know:

Never understood people's inability to clean their wheels and get good results.

...... ^^ that .......

I totally agree with warm water and a double dose of good 'wash n wax' once or twice a week giving great results, in fact a guy who was stopped beside me at traffic lights a couple of weeks ago was agog when I assured him my wheels were not actually new but 10 years old :thumbs:

Whenever I get a new set of wheels to deal with I always get them off the car and wash them with warm water and suds then I treat the more reluctant or detailed areas with machine cleaner (Autoglym). Then I use Autoglym polish a couple of times to lift any remaining tar/dust etc. Finally a couple of coats of Rimwax to finish.
Then it is down to regular bi weekly washing and a 3 monthly Autoglym polish and Rimwax finish..... good as new every time!

I used to work with a guy whose mantra I have adopted. He used to say that if you don't let your car get dirty it will never be hard to keep clean. He ran a very successful rally team and his cars were alway stunning. So that's what I do now, clean them before they start to show signs of grime. If you do just that normal everyday car products will give brilliant results every time. :bye:

That advice works with everything in life, including your teeth.

Have used Wonder Wheels as it came top in the Auto Car wheel cleaner review some years ago. Effective on the wheels but played havoc with the coloured when crests. Too harsh so steer clear.

Bilt Hamber if they are very grubby, elbow grease in between. Wheel woolies are a godsend, the larger diameter ones are great for cleaning the wheel arch liners too.

Gyeon Q2M? £25! Just looked at it and according to the review you have to wear a respirator and special gloves to apply it. Bloody hell :eek: !

Thanks but I'll stick with the usual soap and water for now, although it does occur to me to apply Rain-X afterwards to repel gunge and water.

Peterzoom, I agree about keeping the car dirt-free - I keep mine sparkling. It's just the wheels that need frequent attention.

GARY S said:
Have used Wonder Wheels as it came top in the Auto Car wheel cleaner review some years ago. Effective on the wheels but played havoc with the coloured when crests. Too harsh so steer clear.

This stuff stripped ALL the finish of the wheels on a Mk3 golf I had once , Mrs T called me in for something ( ?? ) then by the time I returned .... all off..... Never use this on your wheels ..

I like Bilt Hammer on the wheels , but never leave it on for long ......

How is it my elderly lady neighbor always thinks its a good time to come over for a chat when she sees me washing my car ... that's THE worst time possible !!!!!!!

911TEL said:
How is it my elderly lady neighbor always thinks its a good time to come over for a chat when she sees me washing my car ... that's THE worst time possible !!!!!!!

I have the same problem washing mine. I just don't get it :?

f662ebeefb61845b46aa0fe398ad83f8.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back