Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

"Frunk" luggage space

pierrebear

Nurburgring
Morning chaps. Apologies if this is a really stupid question (i.e. even dumber than my usual ones!) but has anyone ever tried removing carpet, spare wheel etc. from the frunk with a view to getting slightly more luggage space?

I am conscious that the 997 had quite a deep frunk thanks to the lack of spare wheel and was wondering whether anyone has got one of those puncture repair cans instead of the spare wheel?

Cheers,

Pierre

I'd prefer to keep it and put the extra luggage on the back seats. Any more than that and I'd take the sensible car...

Instead of one big bag, I've used more smaller squashy bags/ rucksacks that fit in the gaps. We had baggage for two people and a dog (don't ask!) that went in the front with room to spare.

pierrebear said:
Morning chaps. Apologies if this is a really stupid question (i.e. even dumber than my usual ones!) but has anyone ever tried removing carpet, spare wheel etc. from the frunk with a view to getting slightly more luggage space?

I am conscious that the 997 had quite a deep frunk thanks to the lack of spare wheel and was wondering whether anyone has got one of those puncture repair cans instead of the spare wheel?

Cheers,

Pierre

Everybody who has a 996 GT3 or GT2 makes do with a bottle of tyre sealant and a compressor for a start. There is a polystyrene organiser tray that fits in the floor of the frunk to hold it (with a carpeted board covering it. The tools and first aid kit also slot in there).

Not just the GT variants that don't have spare wheels, 997/987 don't either. My original mkIV Golf R32 didn't have a spare either.

Personally, my spare wheel is full of stereo amplifier, so...

AndyS said:
You should leave the spare in place, as it forms part of the crash structure on a 993.
Not sure how your Insurance would be affected if this wasn't in place and you did have a bump.....
Indeed, a friend with a Maserati was stuck for hours in a remote corner of Wales when he cut the tyre sidewall on a brick, bit of a big hole for the provided rattlecan.

There's more than enough luggage space in the standard frunk if you use it correctly.

Out of my 3 punctures the can of repair would have been pointless in 2 of them, you would not catch me going out with out my space saver.
Wife none to happy when I left her on Mull whilst I took the punctured rear to Oban for a replacement.

yep, I have heard the space saver is part of the crash protection as well.
Clearly you shouldn't crash when you have the space saver on the car!
also agree their is plenty of room with the frunk and back seats combined, we have taken two weeks luggage for two .
We have some bags for the back seat from roadsterbag.
Not shown in photo the bungees you need to keep them in place.

Attachments

• img_1226_827.jpg
    img_1226_827.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 9,286
3 weeks luggage for 2 and the dog (one of the 2 being a WOMAN). Dog with his own 'pad' in the back and still plenty of room to bring a few litres of rose back.

Kv33Yzq.jpg

+ the extra bit of space down there for my custom built wine carrier

hJstlBb.jpg

Love the shot of the dog living it up in the back, what a dude! :thumb:

Totally agreed re the dog - looks as happy as Larry there! 993 just seems a lot smaller than the 997 on the luggage front.

JHRFC - you've put me to shame though...I clearly need to get more squash-able bags!

I purchased 2 of these and had PORSCHE printed down the side just to make them look a bit more standard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITRE-TEAM-KIT-BAG-with-TEAM-PRINT-Dimensions-39-x-70-x-40cm/272832005535

new-mitre-football-sunday-league-holdall-soccer-team-accessories-kit-bag_4055059.jpg

Around £20 each and can hold 110 litres of stuff. They're 70cm x 40cm x 39cm which is around the exact size available in the frunk of my C4 996. They are also a perfect fit stood upright on the rear seats and don't block your rear view. They're also soft so don't damage or scratch any part of your interior.

XXL expandable suitcases only hold around 90 litres when expanded and cabin cases (55 x 35 x 20) only hold 38 litres, so these 'kit bags' are colossal in comparison. I always challenge the GF to fill hers and she never can :grin:

See here how much they obstruct your view when stood upright in the back:

C51Lqdo.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back