Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 cf. 911SC Weight

993john

As a new forum member and 993 owner, I wonder if any of you experts out there can enlighten me on just where the 993 at around 3000lb has picked up around 400lb of weight compared to a 911SC at around 2600 lb? This is not insignificant, being equivalent to 2 adult passengers. I have owned both and can sense the extra weight in the 993. Which particular areas of the car does the increase come from? John

I'm certainly no expert - others here have far more knowledge. Some differences that spring to mind:

- wider front and especially rear wings
- bigger wheels, tyres and brakes
- more complex suspension cf torsion bars
- ABS components
- airbags and associated support structures
- six speed box
- bigger engine (pistons, barrels etc)
- Bigger oil cooler (?)
- motorised rear spoiler
- LSD and/ or AWD system
- seats (hardback seats are incredibly heavy) with electric motors
- exhaust cat and dual silencer

Hopefully others can give you more info.

I wish to award you extra points for using "cf" in the subject!

Sutton said:
- wider front and especially rear wings
- bigger wheels, tyres and brakes
- more complex suspension cf torsion bars
- ABS components
- airbags and associated support structures
- six speed box
- bigger engine (pistons, barrels etc)
- Bigger oil cooler (?)
- motorised rear spoiler
- LSD and/ or AWD system
- seats (hardback seats are incredibly heavy) with electric motors
- exhaust cat and dual silencer
:yes:

I'd also add side impact protection and sound deadening. It's a good job that we've got another 100 bhp or so :D

I suspect that the only things lighter on a 993 than an SC are the bumpers...

I've owned both, actually had two SCs (Copper Metallic and Guards Red) and loved them both to bits, did around 60k miles in both
I've often moaned about the lardiness of the 993.
For what its worth, I have no need for electric motors that power my seats, it may as well be welded in place. Anyone else who drives it just has to accept my position.
I don't really need it on the window lifters either. The air-con is pretty rubbish even when it works, I would happily wind the sunroof back manually.
I don't need the center console or all that stuff under the dash, which was missing on the SC
Soundproofing is over the top in the 993.
I have no need of an airbag, I've got to go sometime.
(I far preferred the nice three-spoker I had in the SC to that God awful thing they stuck on the 993, I now have the RS wheel, sans airbag :grin:
I wouldn't have thought there was much in it as far as the sheet metal was concerned, just stuffed with stuff the SC didn't bother with sadly.

:bandit:

oh and neither had leather, some sort of typically 70's pinstripe velour and then an 80's beigey berber thing.
:grin:

Weight is definitely an enemy, blunting both performance and handling.

I welcome some of that increase given the benefits afforded e.g. engine, brakes, traction, but there's no doubt removing some of it will heighten the experience for me.

I used to have a 3.2, God that was a handful. It felt very basic compared to the 993. Then as Hpner said I felt I didn't need a lot of that comfort stuff so I RS it. Now that's more like it and there are a lot out there that have done the same, usually people that have had an earlier model. Shame it costs so much more for less.

993 cf. 911SC Weight

Impressed by the level of response to my question. Thanks to all who replied. Have now done my own further research on the topic, as follows;

Year Weight lb (All coupes)
78-79 2601
84-86 2662
87-89 2772 Last of torsion bar suspension cars
89-93 2970 McPherson strut
94-97 3014

It thus appears the major element of weight increase at around 200 lb comes from the suspension change from torsion to McPherson.
The following link may also be of interest.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/504836-weight-loss-for-a-993-a.html

Having said all the above, I am content to stick with my 993 as is, -which I feel is a more rugged car than the 911SC ever was. Regards to all, John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back