Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommendations for Clubsport cage fitting - plates needed

Pip1968

Well I have after much searching at last taken delivery of an OEM 996 GT3 Clubsport cage. I should thank NXI20 for his link to one advertised by Gert (Carnewal) on Rennlist. I had some dramas all of which I will not go into but included the next day currency transfer being taken by Carnewal's bank (KBC) but not credited to his account (and this is pre Brexit !!).

Anyway as my car was originally a Comfort specification I will need to get the plates and captive bolts welded into the car. Slippydiff has put forward Fernsport as a possible solution as they did the marvellous Zanzibar one which featured in his informative write up on the fettled 4.3 996 GT3 (Link: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122766). As I have the KW Competition coilovers sat in my shed it probably makes sense to get it all done in one go.

So in short can any recommend someone more down south who will make a nice job of fabricating the connecting plates and captive bolts whilst cutting the carpet to accommodate it all. Clearly my stainless steel Tequipment half cage will be on the market once all is sorted.

I can of course always get the two jobs (suspension and cage seperately) as I am not sure what it will save on cost but I am open to suggestions.

Pip
Ps. I will get the cage sprayed Riviera Blue to match the car but can always sprt that before it is booked in.

Go with Sippy's advice. Fearnsport have done at least 2 996.2 clubsport cage conversions and a 997.1 that I've seen. Matt does absolutely meticulous work and it will look completely factory.

None of my 911s have ever been anywhere else for mechanical mods & general servicing / fettling. Fearnsport consistently deliver what they promise without an enormous bill. Why compromise?

Same recommendation for Matt@Fearnsport. I'm in west London and even with many others closer I still make the journey to silverstone.

Matt is a top banana, in the same vein as Chris at CG, so highly recommended !

Another recommendation for Fearnsport, look no further

Right thanks to all. They are happy to sort it out for me in January 2018.

Fingers crossed no more dramas :D

Pip

Hi,
Do you have details of whats needed to fit the cage; plates, etc? Once the plates are welded in is the Porsche item basically a bolt in cage that can be removed again later?
I bought a comfort spec as well simply because it was the best condition car I could find but was a bit disappointed when I found out a rear cage was not a straight retrofit.

royal said:
Hi,
Do you have details of whats needed to fit the cage; plates, etc? Once the plates are welded in is the Porsche item basically a bolt in cage that can be removed again later?
I bought a comfort spec as well simply because it was the best condition car I could find but was a bit disappointed when I found out a rear cage was not a straight retrofit.

The rear cage section bolts in to the rear suspension turrets & floor plates at the base of the B pillars. If you have a full cage, the front section bolts to floor plates adjacent to the A pillars.

Fitting / removing isn't a 5 minute job but you don't need to remove trim. Ideally you want the clubsport interior carpet set but it's possible to trim the comfort carpet to allow fitting.

Thanks for the quick reply. Excuse the question barrage but do you have any rough idea of what sort of money it is to get the cage and separately the clubsport carpet set and if it comes up very often? I know a very good cage builder who could do a replica but I would not want to start ripping up the carpets or trim.

Very rare to ever see either for sale these days. Pip asked me to look out for a cage months ago & was very lucky that I could point him to a brand new one for sale.

The carpet mods reall are trivial & if they're done carefully shouldn't be intrusive.

NXI20 beat me to it but I have been looking for a Clubsport cage for a long long time. Way before I emailed NXI20. I emailed Nick as I know he knows a lot of people in the community and with the occasionally heavily track damaged Porsche I thought he may be able to put me in touch with someone who was breaking a Clubsport car up for parts.

Mine came from Carnewal (it was advertised on Rennsport the US site) which was not without its problems.

Ironically enough my car went into Fearnsport today for the cage fitting/plates welding following its respray (rightly or wrongly) to Rivera Blue from black.

The Tequipment cage is now also sold and on its way to the buyer tomorrow. The next 'quest' will be sorting a front section although I like to imagine these are a little easier to get hold of :roll:

Thanks to Nick and Matt (in anticipation).

Pip :thumb:

Pip1968 said:
The next 'quest' will be sorting a front section although I like to imagine these are a little easier to get hold of :roll:

Guess again :floor:

It took me 4 years to find a front section for mine. Good luck though...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back