Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Daily driver - winter tyres

I was waiting for Jonttt's view :dont know:

:weed:

Gents.

Can we keep this thread related to the original poster's topic of winter tyres?

Take your quarrel on valuations to a separate thread as some of us have no interest in value. Please.

hopeydaze said:
After a heart stopping drive early Sunday in the mountains that separate Henley on Thames and Wallingford here in the Thames Valley, temperature around freezing and the roads black and shiny and unsalted, I was slipping badly. Quite scary actually. LSD didn't help at all.

This is a daily driver so I need to do something. Porsche sent me an email advertising winter tyre and wheel sets from £1500 and storage for the other set. Yes please I said. 'No" was their answer as they aren't available for the 993. 'How about a set of Pirelli Sotto 03 winters for £642 all in".

ABS and LSD wont help from that era.

993 Winter Tyres, the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 N2 are the correct tyres.

Below 7 degree Celsius Winter Tyres perform although anything above 10 degrees is the point to swap back.

note that even in the wet at near zero temps, winter tyres are better.

But if you can find a set of 993 16" wheels then the Pirelli W240 Sottozero Serie II that is Porsche N1 rated is equally an approved choice

Attachments

• wintertyres_285.jpg
    wintertyres_285.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 7,007
  • 993winter_100.jpg
    993winter_100.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 7,007
Sutton said:
Gents.

Can we keep this thread related to the original poster's topic of winter tyres?

Take your quarrel on valuations to a separate thread as some of us have no interest in value. Please.

I think you have mixed up your posts on this thread chum !!!

I see no 'quarrel on values ' here .....?

I picked up a set of great condition Lobster claws with Sottozero's for the winter. I've had them on for a few weeks now, they are like night and day compared to summer tyres when the temperature is in single figures. It's the first time I've tried winter tyres and I'm happy that I did.

At the price I paid, I reckon they will be pretty much cost neutral if I sell the wheels when I change cars.

+1 for winter tyres, they are miles better when the temp dips.
I do not fit them to my 993 as i don't use it that much in winter.
However I do fit them to my cayman and use conti winter sport contacts.
I actually get the tyres swapped over on a single set of wheels twice a year. save on the expense of buying two sets of wheels.

jhrfc said:
+1 for winter tyres, they are miles better when the temp dips.
I do not fit them to my 993 as i don't use it that much in winter.
However I do fit them to my cayman and use conti winter sport contacts.
I actually get the tyres swapped over on a single set of wheels twice a year. save on the expense of buying two sets of wheels.

Another good tyre. These and the Yokohamas are my favourites

Endoman said:
I will be swapping them for Sottozeros if I ever need to but I'm using the 944 daily now.

Potted review of Sottozeros - I have found them to be very good when it is properly cold, but they wear the riffles out quickly and are moderately hopeless in double digit temperatures (so if you are using a car even sparingly then you need to get them off pronto when the weather turns. When your other tyres are Cups this really blurs the crossover point). From what I have heard from others - when they are done I will be looking for Nokian or Michelin for their replacements.

Okay - I have a geo which is a bit more hostile than stock to softer rubber, but I did think that a comment was in order.

hopeydaze said:
After a heart stopping drive early Sunday in the mountains that separate Henley on Thames and Wallingford here in the Thames Valley, temperature around freezing and the roads black and shiny and unsalted, I was slipping badly. Quite scary actually. LSD didn't help at all.

This is a daily driver so I need to do something. Porsche sent me an email advertising winter tyre and wheel sets from £1500 and storage for the other set. Yes please I said. 'No" was their answer as they aren't available for the 993. 'How about a set of Pirelli Sotto 03 winters for £642 all in".

My question to the team if you've got this far - is this a good deal and would I be happy? Never used winters before and my advanced driving Police mate tells me winters were crap on his M3 and not to waste my money. However he is a driving god who says he can drove from Heathrow to Cardiff in an hour - for work of course

I just bought The Vredestein Wintrac xtreme S tyres for £450 on 16s as the rear size Sottozero were difficult to find and sig more expensive. Will let you know if crap or not, I figure must be better than P0s.

Well well, funnily enough it's just snowed, while i was over in France with the cayman on winter tyres.
Worked pretty well and got us over and round most stuff. (Slowly of course).
while, quite alot of the other cars where just spinning there front or back wheels
They are not invincible though! if you hit snow more than say 3 in deep you start to struggle, we had to reverse back down a hill where two vans had got stuck and abandoned half way up. We probably could have got up if they had not been blocking the way , but once you stop, things become a lot harder in the deeper snow.
J

Thanks for all the replies to my original posting. I procrastinated, did nothing and was forced to use the car on Sunday morning in the snow (see thread about snow in the Members Lounge)

It did OK, a light right foot and feathering the clutch helped a lot.

I also did some donuts in our car park which helped a lot with my confidence, learning how to combine opposite lock with over-steer in a controlled environment.

Still need to get some winter tyres, as I needed a push on a very small hill.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back