Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 engine failure: rebuild or replace

Thanks for all your answers. I was tempted by the brand new engine option. It is reassuring to ser a majority think it is the route to follow.

BriceV said:
Thanks for all your answers. I was tempted by the brand new engine option. It is reassuring to ser a majority think it is the route to follow.

It's a mouth watering prospect to consider a brand new engine in a 997.2 C2S. It's definitely the route I'd take.

I have a 2009 gen 2 Carrera S with similar mileage which also eats a lot of oil so this is quite worrying. How much oil was your gen 2 consuming, and were there any other symptoms like bad engine noise or smoke from the exhausts. Was the excessive oil use being burnt during combustion or were there any leaks. Also what year is your car as the earlier Gen 2's seem to report increased oil consumption over later cars.

This is a dilemma, but you might also consider the time off the road. If RPM can source and install the new engine quicker than doing the rebuild, that may be the way to go. Unless you were planning to store it for winter in any event. I do think you might just have to bite the bullet, and then get the rest of the car re-inspected. If for example, the engine's out they could have a look at the gearbox and what not.

Ooh that's a tough one, £4k is a lot of money.

Option 1, free rebuild
Option 2, new engine £4000 out of pocket.

Now you see it's easy to say go new but to hand over another £4000 that's a hard pill to swallow when a rebuild will do exactly the same job.

If they'll put a 2yr warranty on a rebuild I'd go with the free option.

I'll tell you why, keep it for a while, sell the car with the remaining warranty. Then buy another and this time spend your money on a Porsche Extended Warranty. Otherwise you'll fork out £4000 on a new engine and then fork out possibly more when something else goes wrong.

You do the math and don't get attached emotionally. Don't go spending £4k when you don't have to.

:agree:

Gotta say I'd be going for the rebuild too. I can't see any reason why you would want to pay more for the same thing.

The small print is that I would want reassurance that they wouldnt scrimp on things that need replacing, and that they would match the 2 year warranty. I doubt they would risk a warranty claim of several grand on their rebuilt engine by cutting corners on parts though.

You would be amazed at the bits that need replacing once these engines are opened up, even though the engine was functioning perfectly well before the rebuild.

PanozGTR said:
I have a 2009 gen 2 Carrera S with similar mileage which also eats a lot of oil so this is quite worrying. How much oil was your gen 2 consuming, and were there any other symptoms like bad engine noise or smoke from the exhausts. Was the excessive oil use being burnt during combustion or were there any leaks. Also what year is your car as the earlier Gen 2's seem to report increased oil consumption over later cars.

I have a 2009 gen 2 C2S as well. There was no leak, no really visible smoke from the exhaust, no sound. But the engine oul level could go down to minimum by the time the fuel tabk was empty. Even the RPM guys initially told there was nothing visible by just driving it. But they are also telling me it is the first time they see an engine failure like that on a gen 2.

Clearly the Gen 2 has it's own set of engine problems, and is not as bullet proof as everyone thought. I'm sure the same will apply to the 991.

The 996/997 Gen1 has the worst reputation, but probably unjustified.

Just have to look after it as best you can and hope.

ragpicker said:
You would be amazed at the bits that need replacing once these engines are opened up, even though the engine was functioning perfectly well before the rebuild.

And surely thats the best reason to go for an "everything new" Porsche replacement. :thumbs:

If it was a Gen 1 then a rebuild makes more sense to me but the Gen 2 seems a pretty robust unit.

If it was me I'd be going for the piece of mind of having a box fresh factory assembled new engine.

Good to hear both RPM and Porsche are being helpful with this issue. I would definitely go with the new engine for only 4k

Bargain of the year - take it.

If you offered me a brand new engine with all the work thrown in for 4K I would bite your arm off.

Plus added value when it comes to resale time.

Full marks to RPM for great service.

Very sad one to hear, I would imagine it had been abused from cold previous owners & thrashed.
I would struggle if this happened to mine, but some how I think would go down the new Porsche engine route & keep the car forever, my friend had similar scenario with a Lotus Esprit & now has a spot on car with new engine that he knows is good.

A rebuild is okay but when you go to sell it and they ask 'why was it rebuilt?' and you say cause it was 'mullered' they might go oh really and walk away. Only draw back to a new engine is you won't have matching numbers but you will have a completely new motor that you've used from new.
If it's all documented and done properly the new motor is surely the most sensible option, more so if you plan on keeping the car for a few years.

I'm sure RPM will offer a warranty on their rebuild too, so that'll be worth considering.

Personally, RPM sound like they're doing a stellar job with you and I'd be trusting them with the rebuild.

Best of luck!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back