Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

On the rise? opinions please.

The really controversial point is where (and when) the gen 1 and gen 2 prices intersect. It's actially very hard to choose and although the conventional wisdom is to always go for a gen 2, there are now some gen 1 cars which are commanding higher prices than the later cars. Looking at the 996 there are some specific examples of early cars surpassing the later models price wise. These will be better condition and perhaps lower mileage but a whole lot older. Many similar arguments could be made about buying a known entity 997.1 (with a rebuild for example) versus a newer but perhaps less cherished 997.2. Both are coming up to a decade old and will have the potential to hand out large bills completely unrelated to the engine. An early 997.1 with a full rebuild might have already had the suspension refreshed whereas an early 997.2 might still be on original parts.

On reflection I suffered with budget creep as I was originally after a 996 C4S, but with the prices beginning to overlap decent 997s I upped the budget a little as I felt it would be madness to go for the older car. I figured I had already missed the 'investment" potential of the 996 anyway. The bottom line is that any 911 Carrera won't offer a real investment opportunity unless you dry store it for at least a decade (perhaps 2) and make a significant investment returning it to concourse condition. What they do offer is extremely low depreciation extremely fun motoring.

Buy the best one you can afford now and enjoy driving it!

tom_nieto said:
The bottom line is that any 911 Carrera won't offer a real investment opportunity unless you dry store it for at least a decade (perhaps 2) and make a significant investment returning it to concourse condition. What they do offer is extremely low depreciation extremely fun motoring.

Buy the best one you can afford now and enjoy driving it!

VERY TRUE . get one and enjoy driving it , sod the will it be a good investment rubbish just buy a great sportscar and have some fun. :thumb:

PanozGTR said:
The only thing on my list not ticked was the colour. My car is Macademia metallic which is litteraly a Marmite colour as you either love it or hate it. I personally love it and l,m ready for all you haters, bring it on.

Love the Macademia, and the Aqua/Cobalt Blue, and the Ruby Red, Id love them as my car but becasue im in the minority, they wont hold as well as 'Safe' colours.

I had a VW Amarok from new in Mendoza/Toffee Brown (Almost the same as Macademia!), VW wouldnt even offer me a price on selling it back to them, they simply didnt want to know! Its down to how safe a bet it is to turn it around. there was a white Turbo for sale for ages on ebay, but it had the entirely red interior, which had either turned pink, or because of the white surround looked pink, wasnt getting much love and was on there for ages!

If your buying it for you, and dont mind a little struggle when it comes to selling it, then sod everyone else, and love owning it.

I'm biased as I suppose most people are depending on what they own, but from my experience of gen 1 vs gen 2 (Turbo in my case) I would go for the gen 2 and pdk with not a seconds hesitation.

Not only the gearbox, either drive them back to back and you will feel the difference in feel/handling/cabin noise and of course performance.

Definitely drive both as that's the only real way to make your mind up, but if the the difference is just a few k then gen 2 for sure IMO.

MJA911 said:
Example of a nice spec, mid mileage 997.2 C2S manual, but £42,995 shows how strong values have been, I imagine this car would have been up for that couple of years ago with 2 years less mileage too http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/1234/997C2SGen2Manual/

Much the same as mine except i have PSE and bose, not chrono though

4 years ago mine was 45k with 16k miles on it... 4 years and 40-odd thousand miles later its pretty much worth the same.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back