Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fog lights - bake in oven at 130c for 15-20 minutes

Leosayer

One of my front fog lights has a great big hole, probably from a stone.

I've got a spare offside fog light but of course the one with the hole is nearside.

New, they're £250ish but I found this on 911shop for £42:

99363108200 This is fog lamp lens for your existing lamp unit. Normally the lens is not interchangeable but they are now!. An easy way to get the old glass off is to put the light into an ordinary oven at 130 degrees for 15-20 minutes, then the adhesive can be easily cut with a sharp knife and glass will come loose and can be pulled off, refit the new lens with clear silicon sealant.

Anyone done this?

Heard of some Veedubber's doing it to T5 headlights so may be OK to do :dont know:

:thumb:

Commonly done on BMW e39 headlights also. :thumb:

Nice little DIY job and much cheaper than buying full replacements. Got to be worth a go.

C.

Somebody has done this on here - a few years back. They sprayed the innards silver IIRC :dont know:

Not using fogs at the moment so might give it a go while I'm in between MOTs.

Zingari said:
Somebody has done this on here - a few years back. They sprayed the innards silver IIRC :dont know:

Think it was ChrisW

Did anyone get around to doing this? Any advice on what to use to seal the units back up?

I did this with similar spectacular results.
I used normal bathroom silicone sealant with grey colour to match the reflector inside. White sealant will make a visible frame around the glass.
Cheers,
Tore

I was planning on prototyping a metal reflector insert (to be fitted via the projector unit opening, without having to remove the lens), and then getting a batch laser-cut from thin polished stainless sheet.

But I haven't got around to it... :oops:

Thanks chaps. I used the oven to heat up the unit today and the old lens came away nicely. Ordered new lenses off eBay (£99, for both) and will primer, spray metallic silver and lacquer before resealing with grey sealent.

Thanks!

Chris993C2 said:
I was planning on prototyping a metal reflector insert (to be fitted via the projector unit opening, without having to remove the lens), and then getting a batch laser-cut from thin polished stainless sheet.

But I haven't got around to it... :oops:

This sounds awesome Chris.
Hmmm now what to do with all that free time over Xmas! LOL :dont know:

Rick Beauchemin of Highlift who (expertly) mended my odometer drive reckons he can re-polish/refinish the fog lights. He's only down the road from me and I might give him a go over the winter lay-up.

Fwiw Front fog light units £160.00 each brand new genuine parts with cp4l using their 17or 20% discount.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back