Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking to buy a 2008 Cayman 3.4S

Bikeracer1098

Thinking of buying a low mileage Cayman S, to use as a daily as I have just sold my BMW M4 competition pack.

What are these like as a daily?

Had a brief chat with Hartec this morning regarding bore scoring, which seem to effect this engine but not as common as bore scoring on the 997 3.8 engine

Any other issues to look out for?

Thanks

I ran one as a daily driver for four years.

It was great. Civilised enough with enough power to be enjoyable. Very chuckable and really came alive the harder it was driven. The balance of the car is so confidence inspiring.

I'm a low mileage driver so it was really easy for me to live with on a daily basis. The only slight issues if you do a few more miles than I do might be that the clutch was quite heavy in traffic, which was hard work sometimes, and the cabin isn't the quietest so that can be slightly tiring on long motorway journeys.

Overall, I loved it.

Attachments

• dsc_0458_159.jpg
    dsc_0458_159.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,636
I have one as my sole car, handles everything I can throw at it. Even a bike on the top during the Summer months. I love it, the two boots make it crazy practical given its an MR 2-seater.

Doesn't use a drop of oil, isn't particularly thirsty and is great fun.

Usual due diligence applies. Nothing really major to look out for bar the bore scoring you mention.

Bore scoring is very much a real and substantial risk and I would advise extreme caution in buying a gen 1 3.4S.

In gen 1 S terms you'll be paying quite a lot for a late model 2008 car and I personally think you'd be better off going with a gen 2 2.9 for similar or maybe a little more money. The 2.9 is much more reliable and the performance gap to the gen 1 3.4 isn't huge.

PM sent.
pic below

TB

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back