Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Level

roocat

Trainee
Evening all,

I've had my 997.2 C2S for a little over 3 months now and have just passed 3000 miles. I have been checking my oil level regularly since i got it but it hasn't budged. The indicator is always on the top bar.

Is this normal?, i was expecting to have to feed it more oil more regularly?.

At what point should i start to question what the electronic dip stick is telling me?

cheers

roocat said:
Evening all,

I've had my 997.2 C2S for a little over 3 months now and have just passed 3000 miles. I have been checking my oil level regularly since i got it but it hasn't budged. The indicator is always on the top bar.

Is this normal?, i was expecting to have to feed it more oil more regularly?.

At what point should i start to question what the electronic dip stick is telling me?

cheers

I have mine 2 years and it's never used oil according to the indicator so I guess it's normal

I like reading posts as new owners go through the little nuances of 911 ownership. My favourite one is the "burning oily smell" that people cack their pants over after a spirited drive.
I remember stopping at my local OPC immediately the first time it happened to me, and the service coordinator telling me that they're supposed to smell like that when you get up it

Burny brakey smell after a couple of laps of Silverstone had me flapping, until the instructor said it was normal :D

I had a S2000 that never used a drop of oil despite conventional wisdom telling me to check the oil level with every tank of fuel and top up. I'm just getting used to my 911's requirements which it turns out are significantly more. Keep a regular check and top up as required. Dont worry if it's not using oil!

It was the smell of hot rubber that got me worried, thank goodness for the reassurance from this forum.

11,000 miles and 10 months in to ownership and my, now 48,000 mile 997.2 3.6 hasn't yet used a drop of oil, which is comforting.

And yes, I have also gone through the burning smell panic too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back