Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Tip 180k miles

Trantorman said:
That, car is mine and is a cracking buy, no stories, lots of recent work, I advertised it at what the trade has bid at it, they will do some light paint and mid £40's the car.

Don't take this the wrong way mate but what's up with all these 993's your selling? I get it if you've bought them to make a buck and there's nothing wrong with that but it seems each car is a 'regrettable sale" :?:

Feel free to tell me to jog on. It's a free world after all.

wozy said:
In all seriousness, if she's had decent service history, drives straight, brakes straight, vin and service book match, she doesn't smoke, she hasn't horrendous rot and the money's right <£32K, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

:hand: I think you've over-egged the valuation chum as I see it hovering around the mid 20s. In fact I reckon Jonttt will agree with me on this one :grin:

It's not Bernie's car is it :dont know: Although I'd have thought his will be close to 200k by now :worship:

On the 4 speed Tip box. Personally I don't think it's bad as 3rd has so much flexibility. You can't compare it to PDK as that is another level but as a more modern tiptronic fewer gears are better. The Tip box in my 2012 Cayenne was shoite, too many gears and up/down the gears like a fiddler's elbow. It had to go.

decgraham said:
I've had my Tip S Cab since 2000, before that I had a 964 Targa C4 manual. I love the way the Tip drives, the tip box runs on fuzzy logic which means it can adapt to your driving style. If you have the "S" buttons on the stearing wheel it's a great deal of fun. When it comes to speed, the difference between the Tip and a manual is so small that IMHO you'd need to be Lewis Hamilton to get that extra bit out of a manual 8)

Just my two penneth .

ATB :)

A Tip in traffic is great but for me the manual is so much more involving. I have a 968 Tip and it is nowhere near as much fun to drive as my manual 993 Targa. The Tip brain is very good at adjusting to your driving style though but personally I always feel it's missing something. The manual 968 was actually quicker around the Nurburgring than the same year 911 I believe, so the car (contrary) to so many 911 purists is a genuinely quick car around the twisty bits, if lacking in 911 acceleration.

All about opinions though and the number of Tip 911's sold suggests that they are just as desirable, if not as valuable as manuals.

Zingari said:
wozy said:
In all seriousness, if she's had decent service history, drives straight, brakes straight, vin and service book match, she doesn't smoke, she hasn't horrendous rot and the money's right <£32K, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

:hand: I think you've over-egged the valuation chum as I see it hovering around the mid 20s. In fact I reckon Jonttt will agree with me on this one :grin:

It's not Bernie's car is it :dont know: Although I'd have thought his will be close to 200k by now :worship:

I was being polite, saying that. I still think it worth a little more than 25bags if it's been kept up together :thumb:

decgraham said:
If you have the "S" buttons on the stearing wheel it's a great deal of fun.

Even better with the buttons in the right place.

:D

Albionmuz said:
decgraham said:
I've had my Tip S Cab since 2000, before that I had a 964 Targa C4 manual. I love the way the Tip drives, the tip box runs on fuzzy logic which means it can adapt to your driving style. If you have the "S" buttons on the stearing wheel it's a great deal of fun. When it comes to speed, the difference between the Tip and a manual is so small that IMHO you'd need to be Lewis Hamilton to get that extra bit out of a manual 8)

Just my two penneth .

A Tip in traffic is great but for me the manual is so much more involving. I have a 968 Tip and it is nowhere near as much fun to drive as my manual 993 Targa. The Tip brain is very good at adjusting to your driving style though but personally I always feel it's missing something. The manual 968 was actually quicker around the Nurburgring than the same year 911 I believe, so the car (contrary) to so many 911 purists is a genuinely quick car around the twisty bits, if lacking in 911 acceleration.

All about opinions though and the number of Tip 911's sold suggests that they are just as desirable, if not as valuable as manuals.
I've also had both.
I found my 968 tip sluggish and no comparison to my 993 tip which has a locking torque converter and transfers all it's power to its wheel.
Real world, few manual cars will take a tip 993 head to head, unless you enjoy killing your clutch.

Rialas said:
Albionmuz said:
decgraham said:

Just my two penneth .

I've also had both.
I found my 968 tip sluggish and no comparison to my 993 tip which has a locking torque converter and transfers all it's power to its wheel.
Real world, few manual cars will take a tip 993 head to head, unless you enjoy killing your clutch.

I don't doubt that a tip is as fast its just a lot less fun which is what these cars are about now surely. Zipping up and down a modern PDK/DSG 7 speed box with paddles if amazing fun. Changing gears on a lovely manual gearbox is fun. Clicking steering wheel buttons on an old fashioned automatic box less so IMO. I noticed the OP was coming from a PDK and the difference would be enormous. I have a tiptronic era box on my E55k which suits its character, big, comfy lazy 600bhp V8 estate, very well. I only ever really use the buttons for overtaking.I just don't get it on a sports car where its all about driver involvement unless its a daily where you have to sit in traffic. Different strokes and all that tho, I probably would have bought a Tip if I had been ordering a new one at the time!

nickjonesn4 said:
I don't doubt that a tip is as fast its just a lot less fun which is what these cars are about now surely. Zipping up and down a modern PDK/DSG 7 speed box with paddles if amazing fun. Changing gears on a lovely manual gearbox is fun. Clicking steering wheel buttons on an old fashioned automatic box less so IMO. I noticed the OP was coming from a PDK and the difference would be enormous. I have a tiptronic era box on my E55k which suits its character, big, comfy lazy 600bhp V8 estate, very well. I only ever really use the buttons for overtaking.I just don't get it on a sports car where its all about driver involvement unless its a daily where you have to sit in traffic. Different strokes and all that tho, I probably would have bought a Tip if I had been ordering a new one at the time!
I'm probably one of a few that prefers the older tip type boxes over pdk as they feel too "digital" to me. Also the op, coming from an auto (pdk) will definitely feel more home with another auto. It doesn't have to be manual to have fun in a 993.
Appreciate your preference though.

Rialas said:
nickjonesn4 said:
I'm probably one of a few that prefers the older tip type boxes over pdk as they feel too "digital" to me. Also the op, coming from an auto (pdk) will definitely feel more home with another auto. It doesn't have to be manual to have fun in a 993.
Appreciate your preference though.

Yep makes sense. All personal preference of course. I took a risk after 10 years away from a manual car going back and I have fallen in love with the mechanical interaction of changing gears along with the steering feel, ride etc etc that makes these cars great.

Just got to try both, decide what you prefer and then go for the best one you can afford :thumb: :thumb:

I will eventually get a cab too and that will be a tip!

Reading these posts about the merits of tiptronic reminded me I was going to post this link to a page from performance car magazine when Porsche launch the tiptronic in 1994.

It's interesting to see how excited people were about push buttons on the steering wheel despite the fact it was automatic gearbox.

If this journalist is to be believed then a 993 tiptronic was the closest thing you could get to an F1 Benetton and would help you drive like Michael Schumacher.

So what's not to like

Attachments

• 20171203_110328_2268x3024_657.jpg
    20171203_110328_2268x3024_657.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,315
Walter Rohrl raced a 964 Cup car with a tip transmission. He said it was a good transmission for road cars.

I drove my brother in law's PDK but ended up using the lever to go up and down the box as that felt more natural.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back