Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen Replacement

Geoffers997

Hello All,
I've migrated from a much loved 997.2 to a 991, so this is my first post on this forum; Question - I've cracked my windscreen and need it replacing. I did the worst possible thing and googled it - I'm now totally paranoid about anyone touching my beautiful car. Any recommendations in Berkshire or the surrounding area?

If you are looking for a first class job then there is no one better than glasstecauto.co.uk, Paul Ralhan is excellent. Not sure he will come out to Berkshire he is based in North London but he came out to Essex for me and he does a lot of prestige/high end cars including classics.
Many motor insurers will want you to use their approved supplier and some are better than others, you may find your insurer will want you to cough up a bit more excess to use a supplier of your choice.

Anyway, Paul's your man, did my car a while back and if you have the time to watch in between making the tea you get a master class on windscreen fitting. Personally I would not use anyone else on a prestige car, really nice guy give him a call.

Hi All,
First of all my apologies - when I said I was posting for the first time, I meant the first time on the 991 thread - I've previously posted on the 997 thread.

Anyhoo; My cracked windscreen - I've had an eventful day:

I called two OPC - I live pretty much equidistant from them both. One quoted £1500, the other £1000.

I then called my Insurance company having girded my loins for an argument - I'd read the policy documents and while they set out the Excess (£190), that their authorised glass repairer was a well known national company and they reserved the right to use a replacement screen of equal quality to the original, there was no mention of maximum payout limits or indeed any explicit insistence I used their approved repairer.

So, I called them, spoke to a very nice lady who told me I could get it fixed wherever I liked and to just send them the bill. They'd reimburse me with the cost less my £190 excess.

I think that counts as a result.

The car is booked in the week after next - I'll post again once the job is done.

Geoffers997 said:
So, I called them, spoke to a very nice lady who told me I could get it fixed wherever I liked and to just send them the bill. They'd reimburse me with the cost less my £190 excess.

I think that counts as a result.

It is indeed :thumbs:

Who are you insured with :?:

Hi All,
My insurer is LV, Liverpool Victoria. My only concern with them is that they'll bump my premium up next year, notwithstanding the policy documents saying my NCD is unaffected by a windscreen claim. We shall see.

Geoffers997 said:
Hi All,
My insurer is LV, Liverpool Victoria. My only concern with them is that they'll bump my premium up next year, notwithstanding the policy documents saying my NCD is unaffected by a windscreen claim. We shall see.

They most likely will.

My chum had this issue with his Panamera where the Insurance wanted to use a national company/aftermarket screen. OPC advised against citing warranty 'issues' and once he told insurers a pattern screen could affect warranty they authorised OPC to do it.

Hello All,
I'm pleased to say that my local(ish) OPC did a first rate job on the screen replacement. Interestingly they said they get about one a month in with screen replacements done by 'national companies' which have failed and need re-doing.

My Insurance company coughed without any quibbles after my sending in the invoice. Reading my policy, they say they won't increase my premium on the basis of a windscreen claim.

That is an excellent result. :thumb:

None of my Insurance companies have ever increased my premium renewal for a windscreen claim, so LV are no different in that respect.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back