Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project Blue Book

That is so kind of you our Kris :thumb:
I may take you up on that :grin:

Would be a pleasure mate :thumb:

Managed to steal away some time in the garage yesterday and an hour today...This is going to take some considerable time at this rate :oops:

So, here goes....

More spot welds to be removed.This is the plate that held on the manifold pressure sensor. This will be redundant on my build and I want the engine bay to be as clean and neat as possible.

To this end I then removed the tags that hold on the sound deadening blanket to the fire wall.

Hopefull all these little thing will add up to a lot in the end.

Next I drilled out all the spot welds for the rear exhaust heat shield. I could see that there was a lot of red rust under there. There must have been 35 of the little blighters!

A far bit of cleaning off with the angle grinder and a lot of elbow grease to get all the years of stray oil off!
So looking cleaner already...

This one is an ongoing process. I am hammer and dollying all these seams straight. They are as wrinkly as a pie crust from the factory due the all the high amp spot welding. I appreciate as PeterS has commented today that you won't see these once the car is back on it's feet, but I just can't leave them as they are!

So after listening to a couple of albums on the ipod I kinda ran out of steam grinding the hell out of the floor pan!!! I'm just removing where the coating has been damaged and rust is showing.

After a cuppa I decided to look at some fit up of parts. I have had the side cills and front and rear aprons shot blasted to have a nice clean base to start welding from. The process of blasting and just age meant that they no longer fit all that well :oops:

A little percussion adjustment and hey presto!

As you can see from this one, i've got my work cut out the flare the rear valance into the arch. I also need to remove where the exhaust comes out. I will be having a twin center exit exhaust (In keeping with The Red Baron).
So that's all for now. Hopefully I shall be doing some stud welding next week to start on pulling the various dents out of the floor pan!
All the best chaps,
Chief

Wow, she's going to be immaculate!!

Nice one Chief :thumb:

I pooped in to see Chief at the weekend and the standard of work and attention to detail is insane.

The amount of effort he is putting in to get it far more perfect than the car would even have been when new is astounding. Then it will get undersealed and painted and no-one will ever see it.

Crazy but fantastic.

If you had to price it in man hours then you would be starting at around £100,000!

:worship:

Good grief Chief your dearer than a London Plumber and I was going to get you to nip up and help get this waxoil off :help:

Thank you for the positive comments chaps, I really appreciate them...

I guess PeterS is right. There really isn't any need to go to these lengths on a car that essentially has not 'caught on' as yet, but this is a more of a pilgrimage for me.

I will throw it out there and expect some flack, so here goes......
The 911 has had so many backdates, Singer, RS clones and hotrodding attempts 'I' feel it's been done to death. Sat with Mrs Chief at Heddingham Castle this year made me think. There were more RS clones on show than the factory actually manufactured. We need something fresh and different. I feel that the little 914 could fit that bill. :coat:

Hi Chief,

I hope you're both well?

I can't agree about the 914 catching on, there's a lot of love building for these fantastic little cars at the mo and the recent hikes in all things air-cooled is behind it. Just look what happened to 912's in the last 18 months :eek:

I know this will be one of the absolute best out there when it's finished :worship:

Cheers,
Paul

All good here thanks Paul. Gill says to give you a hug :dont know:

So another weekend spent blasting the sh#t out of the bearings on Bosch's finest drill and some stud welding, slidy hammering shernanaganz!!!
All good fun until someone looses an eye....

So as long as you get the metal nice and clean, the studs weld on great.

So most of the day spent playing with the slide hammer. I have to say it's a great tool this stud welder. The floor is now pretty much perfect. I then moved onto hammer and dollying the seams. Another few hours lost there!
Last but by no means least I beat the living daylights out of the deformed front floor. This was tricky but i'm sure you'll agree it's about right now.
BEFORE....

NOW....

A quick wipe over and the floor is taking shape :p

Slow progress, but progress never the less. I have to say you can really loose many hours doing this kinda stuff :?

This morning I spent some time with my pal Phil helping him move into a new unit, which I have managed to blag some space in. This will allow me to store the Cayman there over winter whilst making the mess in my own garage at home. I shall take the opportunity to get the front and back P.U's off to get painted and whilst i'm at it refurb the wheels. I have an intersting idea for them :puh:

So off for a hot shower and look forward to Guy Martin buliding a ruddy big first world war tank on the telly.
Peace out peeps....
Chief

Some dinky tools there Chief cracking job on the rippled floor,I also had a good day today just about ready to go to paint.

Wow Gaz, can't believe you're almost at paint. I'm soooooooooo far off that :oops:

You aint 'arf putting some effort into that. It is going to be a word of art.

I'm sure it would be easier to sort out world peace.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back