Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 turbo, the story so far.....

After trimming away the overhanging lip from the outer piece, I was able to bond the two pieces together with two layers of fibreglass strips on the outside edge. Once this had dried I did the same on the inner edge as well to make sure the two were securely attached. The scoop was taped to the intake each time to keep its shape.

Untitled by Dave W, on Flickr

Now that both parts of the scoop were bonded together, I was able to use my trusty dremel to trim away a lot of the excess material. This was the first time I had anything even resembling what I had in mind, but it was still a long way from being finished yet.

The basic shape now needed to be refined a bit before I could take it any further. First I needed to trim the leading edge of the scoop. I tried to get it as close as I could to the line of the door edge. It wasn't perfect, but it was fine for this stage of the process. After a bit of sanding of the fibreglass, this is what I had at this stage.

Now that I was happy with the first side scoop, I needed to build one for the other side. This was quite difficult as they needed to be the same size and shape. I'd seen a few different ways of doing this and decided to try the following method. Using a laser level I put several lines down the scoop and then made cardboard templates that touched the lines along the length of the scoop. This was more time consuming than I realised, trying to get them accurate, with lots of trial and error. I'm sure there would've been better ways of doing this, but now that I had my cardboard templates I was able to try and replicate the scoop on the passenger side. In some ways building the second scoop out of clay was a little easier as I'd already had a bit of practice, but it was also more difficult as it now had to be a specific size and shape to match up with the other side.

After many hours of layering fibreglass and sanding, here are the two side by side. They didn't come out exactly the same, but they were close enough for me to make up the difference in the next stage with body filler.

This was the stage that seemed to take the longest. I had the basic shape of two side scoops, but I now needed to make them look a bit more substantial and try to get them smooth enough for painting. I also had the task of trying to get them similar enough to not cause me any problems with airflow to the intercoolers and also, I didn't want to be embarrassed handing them over to the bodyshop for painting. At the end of the day, they may be home-made but I certainly didn't want them to look home-made.

This is how they looked during the early stages of being built up with body filler. Not very pretty, but you get the idea.

I've decided that you are a bit crazy...
nana.gif

popcorn2.gif

HOW did I miss this thread? Outstanding.

Some mad skillz and ballsy stuff there! I particularly like your GT3RS bumper air vents mod :thumb:

Great number plate and cool FTO also.

HSC911 - Haha! I think I might have to agree with you on that one. :thumb:

Y2K - Thanks very much mate, glad your enjoying the thread. Cheers for the compliments. I'd love to swap the FTO for a DC2 type R one day.

Really enjoying your post mate - as with any modification some will like it some won't - I personally like a lot of what you have done - you have put a lot of work into it too fair play :thumb:

I like all the mods and the wheel choice a clever option. Still think it looked miles better completely stock but no doubt the quality of the work and its nice that the turbo now reflects more the personality of the OP.
Seal grey on silver turbo II twists very classy.

Deakmeister1 - Thanks very much, really appreciate that mate. Glad your enjoying it.

Desert Dragon - Cheers mate, glad your a fan of the mods so far.

I know what you mean about the totally stock look though, I sometimes look at photos of it from years ago and wonder if I've made the right decision. I've come too far to turn back now though. :thumb:

captain caveman - Hey mate, I'm based in Cardiff. I spend most of my time in the car around the Brecon Beacons though. How about yourself?

mate - your nuts! :floor:

Love it though. Really admire both your workmanship and approach to built a car that meets your needs.

If you are ever over North wales / Cheshire / Shropshire again let me know. I live on the border of all 3 - be good to grab a coffee and take a look at the motor!

Thanks for the updates. Enjoying the read and level of workmanship you apply to everything you do. Well done.

DW 996turbo said:
Desert Dragon - Cheers mate, glad your a fan of the mods so far.

I know what you mean about the totally stock look though, I sometimes look at photos of it from years ago and wonder if I've made the right decision. I've come too far to turn back now though. :thumb:

A reminder - best looking 996 for me :grin:

captain caveman - Nice place to be, there's some amazing roads around there. I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm up there.

Jamesyg - Thanks again mate, always appreciate the kind words. I'll definitely give you a shout if I'm up that way again, would be good to meet up. Hope everything goes well with the sale of yours. I look forward to seeing its replacement.

Moodytunes - Thanks mate, glad your enjoying the thread.

Desert Dragon - Haha! Thanks for that mate, it made me smile. :D It did look good like that......but I'm happy with my decision. :thumb:

Looks fab with or without your mods - next maybe get some modern suspension, rods, turbos and 800bhp via 9e/ESM and turn it into a rocketship :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back