Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Porsche 911 (997) Really Badly Affected Me With My Job

REKX

Has anyone else had an experience where their Porsche had a bad effect on their job? I have and it has really got my upset at certain times.

So this was when I first started working at a secondary school here in the UK as a trainee student maths teacher.

So the students really liked it as you would expect, a lot of them would always come up to me and comment on it and a lot would take pictures of the car in the staff car park using their "calculators" - which I chose not to confiscate.

The first day I took my Porsche in, an email was sent to all staff saying owner of Porsche had to report to reception. So I went, and apparently several parents complained saying a lunatic teacher driving a Porsche. I don't understand how because I go in the same time students go in, and there is so much traffic it is impossible to speed. So one of the teachers had a go at me and accused me of dangerous driving.

Couple of weeks later I was stopped by police on my way to school. This is nothing new, I always get stopped, in my BMW I must have been stopped 15 times - they always ask me questions like is this your car etc, check my details and let me go. So same thing happened, the coppers asked me a couple of questions and even said it was a nice car and let me go. About 20 of the school kids came to the scene to try and help me which I appreciated but by the time I got to school all the staff and students were talking about it and kept asking me what happened. I said nothing, it always happens.

So in my meeting with the assistant head she was told by someone that I got stopped for speeding. I said that is ludicrous you can call the police station and ask them why I was stopped, I will not have false allegations directed to me. I explained I always get stopped by police, and she said you shouldn't be getting stopped - I felt like I was some sort of criminal sitting there. And if you think she is treating me like a student, yes she and other staff did, I would get mistaken as a student quite a few times and treated like one. And this assistant head lady was like an exact copy of a Margret Thatcher type person - I was born in the 90s so I'm basing this on what I've seen of her on TV.

She also said I was revving the car recklessly in the car park. I explained that is completely false as I would never rev my car on a cold start and I'm not the sort of person that waits around after work, I want to get away as quick as I can.

She also said the car is too loud. I did have the gundo hack done however, there are many loud vehicles on the road, diesel trucks, buses etc. I said with all due respect the car is a 325 brake horse power 6 cylinder car so it will generate some noise. She said well my husband has a Porsche and I know how much noise they make - I replied well Porsche come in different specs and engine sizes. By the way at this point if you are thinking was this really a discussion between two teachers, it was, I kid you not.

I tried to draw attention to my progress as a maths teacher and the great progress my students were making, and I was working through many of my breaks and lunches marking or setting extra work. I said please assess me on my ability as a teacher and she replied well that's your job you should be doing that.

Another day she said to me you shouldn't be bringing expensive cars to school. Well let us get this straight, I haven't check the prices recently but I will guess my 07 plate base Carrera Tiptronic with 83k miles is probably worth somewhere around 22-27k which I believe is less than the cost of a new BMW 3 series in the UK. I wouldn't class my car as an expensive car, secondly the staff car park is filled with 3 and 5 series BMW, Audi Q5, Range Rover Sport, BMW X4 and more which are all less than 3 years old - my car is actually on the mid side of expensive.

While the maths department were amazing, and most maths departments in the UK are :D , one or two other teachers would always make negative comments about my car, the sound or accuse of me of speeding (in heavy traffic?).

During another meeting this Thatcher type assistant head lady accused me of showing off with my car. Now this upset me a lot because that is so unlike me and I would never brag about anything I have. I think it may have come as she overheard when a student asked me what I done during a holiday and I said me and friends had a good time as we went out for a good drive in my car.

There was many more scenarios where someone said something negative about the car and it just got the point where amongst being treated like a student (once told off for being on my phone in front of students by a teacher but it was because my line manager had text me of a room change I had a lesson in).

I left eventually because I couldn't take it anymore, I was trying and working so hard to make the kids achieve good grades and get further in life. I had heard the kid's grades went down after I left and a lot did poorly overall. You may be aware there are record levels of shortage of Maths teachers in the UK right now, they had me and now they lost me and I will never go back to that school - not for all the money in the world. Their loss.

I worked briefly in finance and engineering before choosing the teaching route, and I had a few funny remarks in these previous office jobs like 'nice vw beetle' or 'daddy buy you that Porsche?' but nothing like the above.

The experience above was horrible at the time, and I am so glad I'm not at that school anymore. I have to say after that, now I am lot less trusting of people, I snap at people if they falsely challenge me in anyway, and I have a touch of ruthlessness in my personality now and I won't give anyone even an inch with me now - these are all new things for me. I was too trusting, too nice and too friendly before and I feel people took advantage of that.

Sorry about the long post, you are of course not obliged to read any of that however I would be interested to know any experiences where your car affected you at work and how you dealt/dealing with it.

School teachers are lefties. Lefties are bitter and twisted. Lefties will begrudge people who swan about in 911's. They prefer the Fiat 500 type cars. Or those God awful Citroen CV things. Teachers like stuff like sandals and cloth hand bags. And fer chrisakes don't mention Donald Trump.... They'll be choking on their cous cous and lentil wrap....

^^^is that needed?

My sister is a teacher and probably works longer and harder than most people I know.

OP, I feel your pain, the public perception of Porsche compared to the reality and enthusiast view is so widely diffferent. There will always be those people regardless of what industry you work in.

Can I ask if you are UK born or foreign born? As Norfolk says, teachers are generally lefties as I'm sure your aware. My wife is a teacher and she gets the odd bit of stick when she take the 911 in. She's not a leftie. I beat that notion out of her long before she became a teacher

I'm sure where you teach might also influence people's attitude. Being in Cheshire, the parents mostly drive posh cars anyway so it doesn't stand out. Previously she taught in a pit village Doncaster, and there were more comments.

Lastly, being a male in the job, you know the male/female ratio is against you and there may be a bit of that going on as well.

Are you sure it wasn't North Korea?

I can imagine how the speeding part as added. If the police stop you and you're driving a Porsche people passing will assume you were stopped for speeding. Even my own sister thought this when I told her I'd been stopped by police recently. I had actually been stopped for my front number plate being too small.

I can see this happening unfortunately especially if you're young. Some people really don't like people having nice cars. Interestingly my sister was a teacher for years and she was always the most critical of my lifestyle/cars. I think many are working as teachers and secretly jealous of anyone who has done well in other ways. Clearly not all are this way but many seem to be.

Better to be away from that negativity. Worryingly these people are supposed to be teaching children. When the teacher said it was too loud I would have asked for the school's guidelines on car exhaust limits.

PS if the police are stopping you all the time for no reason then you file a complaint of police harasssment. They are not allowed to stop you for no reason. They must tell you why you're being stopped.

I wish you had put the bit about not being obliged to read the post at the beginning of your post, not the end. 😄

However as I have done so, IMO there is no smoke without fire and being stopped so may times must mean that perhap you do need to re-evaluate you driving style or tinted windows or music volume.

Do your best to ignore the snipes/jealousy/ignorance and enjoy driving the car, they give a lot of pleasure.

My history teacher used to turn up in a Ferrari Dino, don't ever recall him being stopped or complained about... :dont know:

Was late 60's btw...

s2000db said:
My history teacher used to turn up in a Ferrari Dino, don't ever recall him being stopped or complained about... :dont know:

Was late 60's btw...

Yes exactly the same :?:

isysman said:
s2000db said:

Was late 60's btw...

Yes exactly the same :?:

Finchley??

s2000db said:

Was late 60's btw...

My woodwork/technical drawing teacher used to turn up to our Comprehensive in his new Lotus Esprit! (Circa 1977) - not only that but he was sha$$ing the Head Girl too!

:)

mikeluke said:
My woodwork/technical drawing teacher used to turn up to our Comprehensive in his new Lotus Esprit! (Circa 1977) - not only that but he was sha$$ing the Head Girl too!

:)

She obviously liked WOOD!!! :floor:

:thumb:

Re: My Porsche 911 (997) Really Badly Affected Me With My Jo

REKX said:
Has anyone else had an experience where their Porsche had a bad effect on their job? I have and it has really got my upset at certain times.

So this was when I first started working at a secondary school here in the UK as a trainee student maths teacher.

So the students really liked it as you would expect, a lot of them would always come up to me and comment on it and a lot would take pictures of the car in the staff car park using their "calculators" - which I chose not to confiscate.

The first day I took my Porsche in, an email was sent to all staff saying owner of Porsche had to report to reception. So I went, and apparently several parents complained saying a lunatic teacher driving a Porsche. I don't understand how because I go in the same time students go in, and there is so much traffic it is impossible to speed. So one of the teachers had a go at me and accused me of dangerous driving.

Couple of weeks later I was stopped by police on my way to school. This is nothing new, I always get stopped, in my BMW I must have been stopped 15 times - they always ask me questions like is this your car etc, check my details and let me go. So same thing happened, the coppers asked me a couple of questions and even said it was a nice car and let me go. About 20 of the school kids came to the scene to try and help me which I appreciated but by the time I got to school all the staff and students were talking about it and kept asking me what happened. I said nothing, it always happens.

So in my meeting with the assistant head she was told by someone that I got stopped for speeding. I said that is ludicrous you can call the police station and ask them why I was stopped, I will not have false allegations directed to me. I explained I always get stopped by police, and she said you shouldn't be getting stopped - I felt like I was some sort of criminal sitting there. And if you think she is treating me like a student, yes she and other staff did, I would get mistaken as a student quite a few times and treated like one. And this assistant head lady was like an exact copy of a Margret Thatcher type person - I was born in the 90s so I'm basing this on what I've seen of her on TV.

She also said I was revving the car recklessly in the car park. I explained that is completely false as I would never rev my car on a cold start and I'm not the sort of person that waits around after work, I want to get away as quick as I can.

She also said the car is too loud. I did have the gundo hack done however, there are many loud vehicles on the road, diesel trucks, buses etc. I said with all due respect the car is a 325 brake horse power 6 cylinder car so it will generate some noise. She said well my husband has a Porsche and I know how much noise they make - I replied well Porsche come in different specs and engine sizes. By the way at this point if you are thinking was this really a discussion between two teachers, it was, I kid you not.

I tried to draw attention to my progress as a maths teacher and the great progress my students were making, and I was working through many of my breaks and lunches marking or setting extra work. I said please assess me on my ability as a teacher and she replied well that's your job you should be doing that.

Another day she said to me you shouldn't be bringing expensive cars to school. Well let us get this straight, I haven't check the prices recently but I will guess my 07 plate base Carrera Tiptronic with 83k miles is probably worth somewhere around 22-27k which I believe is less than the cost of a new BMW 3 series in the UK. I wouldn't class my car as an expensive car, secondly the staff car park is filled with 3 and 5 series BMW, Audi Q5, Range Rover Sport, BMW X4 and more which are all less than 3 years old - my car is actually on the mid side of expensive.

While the maths department were amazing, and most maths departments in the UK are :D , one or two other teachers would always make negative comments about my car, the sound or accuse of me of speeding (in heavy traffic?).

During another meeting this Thatcher type assistant head lady accused me of showing off with my car. Now this upset me a lot because that is so unlike me and I would never brag about anything I have. I think it may have come as she overheard when a student asked me what I done during a holiday and I said me and friends had a good time as we went out for a good drive in my car.

There was many more scenarios where someone said something negative about the car and it just got the point where amongst being treated like a student (once told off for being on my phone in front of students by a teacher but it was because my line manager had text me of a room change I had a lesson in).

I left eventually because I couldn't take it anymore, I was trying and working so hard to make the kids achieve good grades and get further in life. I had heard the kid's grades went down after I left and a lot did poorly overall. You may be aware there are record levels of shortage of Maths teachers in the UK right now, they had me and now they lost me and I will never go back to that school - not for all the money in the world. Their loss.

I worked briefly in finance and engineering before choosing the teaching route, and I had a few funny remarks in these previous office jobs like 'nice vw beetle' or 'daddy buy you that Porsche?' but nothing like the above.

The experience above was horrible at the time, and I am so glad I'm not at that school anymore. I have to say after that, now I am lot less trusting of people, I snap at people if they falsely challenge me in anyway, and I have a touch of ruthlessness in my personality now and I won't give anyone even an inch with me now - these are all new things for me. I was too trusting, too nice and too friendly before and I feel people took advantage of that.

Sorry about the long post, you are of course not obliged to read any of that however I would be interested to know any experiences where your car affected you at work and how you dealt/dealing with it.

A shocking tale of jealously.

Not the 1st time I've encountered such an experience at a school.

Don't loose heart in your decision to own a 911, it's a fantastic car and you should be proud of the choose that you have made.

There is something about owning a 911 that people without one label you with

FACT

I'm 26 and when I got the Boxster my neighbours stopped saying "hi" to me although it's probably one of the cheapest cars on the street :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back