Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bremi ignition coils

I've purchased 6 of the Bremi coils from ECP today, using their 35% discount code, total £105 delivered. If the photo on the website is anything to go by, they are of the older design with shorter bolts, so won't foul the heat shields of this is what turns up.

I'm changing these & the plugs as preventative maintenance.

Worth hearing about your coils John, that was good work from your local indy, worth naming on here to allow the reputation to be properly establshed?

Cheers, Keith.

Demort said:
The original problem was the shaft the bolts go through was not sealed ( water tight ) to the coil body which allowed water to corrode the sleeve and then the inner iron coil .

This was fixed by Beru early on and their after markets ones where sealed at that point.

Porsche seemed to have waited untill every possible car was out of warrenty (upto 10 years from new ) then had a new coil designed and probably told Beru to stop making the old ones which is why its hard to buy them now .

I have no idear why its twice the size but it is sealed at the weak point ( which Beru had done years before ) .

The Beru redesigned and the new one should no longer suffer corrosion and in theory last forever .. well .. untill it fails from another fault anyways .

Oh .. and the new fatter coil not only can be a bitch to fit it can also foul the heat sheild on several models .. sigh .

The Porsche ones are now BorgWarner - I know as I just bought a set after being told they'd fit under the heat/water shields of my 996. They don't!

So I have solved the problem by getting some 15mm spacers made up for the shields and replacing the fixings with longer (ti as I'm fed up with corroded/snapping fasteners) ones.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back