Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacement brake nipples. Stainless or Titanium?

X51 996 said:
G3BML said:
I'm going to buy the titanium ones, for the sake of 19.99 it's a no brainier just to change them
Is that for all 8?

I've bought some stainless HEL ones as mentioned above, £1.99 each inc postage (£15.92 a set) - didn't realise titanium would be that cheap but I guess not worth worrying about in all reality :thumbs:

Now that you mention it, I just double checked. It's 15.99 for 4 :roll: still isn't the end of the world to be fair

Having experienced seized nipples on my old Boxster, these seem like a good idea. Which size fits the 996?

Cheers both. So they are M10, but the question is whether to go titanium or stainless! Stainless is marginally in front for me because of cost, but on the other hand.......

M10 x 1.0 :thumb:

bullet7 said:
Cheers both. So they are M10, but the question is whether to go titanium or stainless! Stainless is marginally in front for me because of cost, but on the other hand.......

I'm sure both are really fine. To be honest, cost wasn't really a factor for me, Titanium just seemed a bit OTT.

bullet7 said:

I'm sure both are really fine. To be honest, cost wasn't really a factor for me, titanium just seemed a bit OTT. I have bought a set of PPBB's titanium exhaust studs because I think titanium adds real value there.

I think that any decent quality replacements would be better than ones approaching 15/20 years old or whatever whether they be Porsche OE supplied/Brembo replacement parts or stainless/titanium etc.

I went for Stainless as another member has used them for over a year without issues and they're half the price of OE ones, and hopefully a little less susceptible to corrosion. No idea on OPC price but I'm guessing a lot more.

Titanium doesn't seem appropriate on these - double the price for what benefit (?) The pack of eight stainless valves I've got waiting to fit weighs... 81g :thumb:

Agree with you both, maldren & X51. Ended up ordering the stainless ones and will get around to titanium for the manifolds as the next job.

I've just weighed my titanium one's purely for squit's and giggles 24g for all 8.

I chose the titanium one's purely for there better corrosion resistance.
After the recent hassle I've had with my nipples :oops: And unfortunately needing to buy a brand new caliper because of a poorly done helicoil job.. I wanted OTT :lol:

But I'm sure stainless will be fine also, I just wanted to be double double sure
:thumb:

Quick update on this....
Don't buy the titanium one's....
Today whilst fitting my spacers I thought I'll just see if the nipples we're still nice and free.....
Nope they are siezed solid and it rounded off using a flare spanner....
In what... 2 months... so in short they are shitty

That's disappointing Paul.

I have a set of those titanium ones from Bigg Red along with all seals ready to refurb my calipers.
I'll still fit them mind as I spent enough on them. I'll just make sure I only give them a nip up.

Fwiw I always use a 6-sided socket to crack the nuts off before I get the spanner on to bleed.

Doesn't stop you shearing one off tho when it's stuck. I give my brakes a little bleed every 6 months - as much to keep the valves free as anything else, now that I've had my calipers refurbed- don't want to go through that again! Just have standard genuine brembo bleed valves in there

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back