Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Depreciation of Cayman GTS

jonttt said:
What depreciation :floor:

You really have to get a drive in one, I had a fully loaded 718 boxster S for 3 days and there is no way I could own one after the 981 GTS. Believe me I would be the first in the queue for a 718 GTS if I actually wanted one.......

But if a new car is your priority a 981 will simply not do it for you and then you have a dilemma. To me the 718 is a step back in terms of driving experience not a step forward and it grates me that I simply cannot just tell you to get the 718 as I should :frustrated:

The problem I have is that I've never been into Audi's, I would much prefer a BMW or Mercedes over them :bandit:

From the comments of many and also my experience of the Cayman S sound, I am sadly left with no choice but to go with the ttrs, even if the depreciation is more. I don't see the new GTS been as loved by anyone who has heard the 981 GTS sound. Maybe the next version of the 718 will sound better
Krish

Hi Krish - Does a TTRS sound better than a Cayman GTS then?

It is an affliction of turbos that they will never sound as good as an n/a car :-(

There are some exceptions - the old 993 GT2s at full chat on a race circuit sounded absolutely epic.

The 718 sound has been compared to that of a Subaru. Not that incredible really given they both share turbo-charged flat 4s. Personally I am a fan of the Subaru sound so I doubt the 718 sounds bad at all. The 718 has an incredible chassis and will almost certainly runs rings around a TTRS for driving pleasure and enjoyment. On a circuit, a 718 GTS will be capable of setting very fast lap times - that I have no doubt.

Given you are about to sink an awful lot of your hard-earned into a new car, may I make a little suggestion? Book yourself on a driving experience half day at the Porsche Experience Centre, Silverstone. You will have a wonderful time and come away knowing for certain whether you could love a 718 or not. I had a half day in a 981 GTS and it made me appreciate that the car's inherent abilities so way exceed my own that even when I think I'm pressing on, the car is no where near its limits. Very comforting. The brake-test alone, after a full-bore launch-control start on their little 'drag-strip', will make you rethink what really good brakes feel like...

Best wishes for what I know is a very tricky decision!

tim

I'm really tempted to go look at a 981 GTS N/A myself. Would be trading the atom though.... I originally went for the atom as I wanted something wildly different to my 996T not sure if a cayman would be 'different' enough.... Would just be more usable. My 996 seems to spend most its life at fearnsport these days so I am just longing for a car I can just jump in and drive.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

krishcanag said:
The TTS 0-60 4.6 sec
981 GTS 0-60 4.8 sec
Ttrs 3.6 sec not 3.7
New Cayman GTS 4.1 sec

You seem to be deciding your purchase based on a game of "Top Trumps"!

I think you'd be missing out on a lot of driving enjoyment by concentrating so much on 0-60 times. The difference will only be from the traction of 4WD anyway - I really don't believe that the TTS would be faster overall in normal driving.

Without wishing to disrespect your current car, to me a TTS is just a 'Golf R in a tracksuit' but the Cayman is a true sports car.

Try and get an extended test drive so that you can feel the Cayman come alive in a way that a TTS never will.

FWIW I'd go for the 981 Cayman GTS every time. NA + mid-engine + RWD vs turbo + front-engine + AWD. No contest!

Well guys, in the end the Porsche won, even with that engine. If I am buying a new car and going to keep it it might as well be the Porsche over the ttrs. Even if it's the better all-round multi purpose car.
Krish

:thumb:

You won't regret it. I've finally managed to get my brother in a Porsche after many years of powerful BMW's, Mercs etc... and he know realises he has missed out badly.

You obviously enjoy a turbo power delivery and the thrill it provides so a 781 will be right up your street. Enjoy and let us know which model and spec you decide on

Ps welcome to the porsche options game :hand: and get dual climate (don't ask)

I am certain you wont regret it!

Have fun getting the options you want and do be a little vague when discussing it with the salesman and should be able to get a trip to the Porsche Experience Center into the mix.

Hope to hear more about your Porsche purchase journey and how much you love your new car ;)

911tom said:
I'm really tempted to go look at a 981 GTS N/A myself. Would be trading the atom though.... I originally went for the atom as I wanted something wildly different to my 996T not sure if a cayman would be 'different' enough.... Would just be more usable. My 996 seems to spend most its life at fearnsport these days so I am just longing for a car I can just jump in and drive.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
:hand: Tom

We have a 718 S coming new next month as a shop car. Kline and 9e are working on sorting out the sound, tuning will happen shortly along with other aftermarket goodies.

Think 450ps Cayman :grin:

That sounds awesome Ken. I'm subscribed to that! Cayman platform with gt3 power, that will make a seriously quick car.

Hi guys

So my car is coming end of Feb 2018. Might be one of the first on UK roads.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJL7AH47

So what do people think will be the depreciation compared to 981gts?
I am leaving the option open if I save enough to look at the GT4 in 2 years time.
Krish

Jonttt will tell you you're going to do your dough on this buying brand new AND a 718 rather than the 6cyl 981 :roll:

Looks a good spec but I'd add adaptive cruise given our traffic congestion you'll be knocking ordinary cruise off and on all the time. :what:

I take it the GTS has the PASM option as standard with the small dial for adjustment on the steering wheel and sports exhaust :dont know:

Spec looks spot on :thumb:

And it will be one of the first batches, there are a few already at dealers but most seem to be waiting to march to take delivery.

How exciting.

Ps ignore Zingari, we have already established that you prefer a turbo power delivery :thumb:

They have much more presence on the road compared to any Audi short of an R8 and the 981/781 shape always gets the 'right" type of attention in my experience.

Looking forward to seeing the actual pics :wink:

This has been a great thread and good to see you make the right decision over an Audi :grin:

what a stunning car!!! bet you are proper chuffed with your decision!

Indeed a stunner, I bet you took it carefully on that first drive in those conditions! Will watch this thread for your impressions as you get to know it :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back