Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch Replacement - What Else While I'm At It?

willy

Monza
Hi All

1998 C2 with 137K and the first clutch is finally showing its age - it is driving fine but if I floor the accelerator I get some slippage.

I plan to pick up a Sachs kit, but what else would to check and\or replace whilst the job is being done?

Thanks in advance

Al

Hi Willy,

My car comes back on Saturday from having a new clutch amongst a lot of other work.

While the box was out I had the following done -

Replace corroded brake pipes that run over the top of box.
Flip dust seal off IMS, though at your mileage it's probably safe to say it'll be ok now. It adds a bit of extra work.

I've had my IMS seal flipped off. It involves removing flywheel, locking engine timing gear, remove chain tensioners, then IMS cover. Inspect bearing, mine was perfect so seal then flipped.
New RMS seal, new IMS cover, new flywheel bolts. I also had a weak chain tensioner so glad that was spotted. No symptoms from it either.

I've also had a new Air/Oil Separator fitted. Mine was functioning perfectly but if it went in 6 months it would involve more labour to swap out. Access is much better with box out.

The IMS cover and AOS are about £100 each so it adds a little to the bill.

PS I'd be amazed if that's your original clutch. :wink:

Good shout Demort.

My current flywheel has done 20k so I'm ok.

Other item could be a clutch slave cylinder but where do you stop. I've reused mine. The list was getting silly. :D

Slave cyl is only needed if it is obviously damaged .. the rod end wears .. flywheel is always checked when doing a clutch but at that milage ( OP,s post ) or if original then i would certainly think it would need one .. and they aint cheap !

Your right though .. where to stop .. i think thats where a good relationship with your garage comes into it .. they say what they think you need .. you know they are acting in your best interests so go with the recomendation .

Some times we do try and help .. even if it costs you a fortune !!

:)

Thanks chaps - really appreciated.

I'm fortunate that the mechanic is a close friend so I will get nothing less than honesty there!

Have checked through the car's history and Marky911 is correct - a clutch change and RMS seal replacement at 42K way back in 2002. Nothing since and the records I have are pretty good (but could obviously be missing a sheet or two).

I'm seeing clutch and flywheel sets at about £550. Not great news but I've had 5yrs of pretty cheap motoring to date. No complaints.

:)

Out of interest, where are you sourcing the clutch?

Just be very wary of eBay suppliers with huge positive feedback.... :?:

Marky911 said:
Hi Willy,

My car comes back on Saturday from having a new clutch amongst a lot of other work.

While the box was out I had the following done -

Replace corroded brake pipes that run over the top of box.
Flip dust seal off IMS, though at your mileage it's probably safe to say it'll be ok now. It adds a bit of extra work.

I've had my IMS seal flipped off. It involves removing flywheel, locking engine timing gear, remove chain tensioners, then IMS cover. Inspect bearing, mine was perfect so seal then flipped.
New RMS seal, new IMS cover, new flywheel bolts. I also had a weak chain tensioner so glad that was spotted. No symptoms from it either.

I've also had a new Air/Oil Separator fitted. Mine was functioning perfectly but if it went in 6 months it would involve more labour to swap out. Access is much better with box out.

The IMS cover and AOS are about £100 each so it adds a little to the bill.

PS I'd be amazed if that's your original clutch. :wink:

Hi Marky,

Do you mind if I enquire what mileage you are up to?
Just thinking about future work for mine, I've only got the last 5 years worth of FSH (but OPC stamped logbook before that) so not sure if I'm still on the original clutch and appreciate that as I'm now on 100k things will be starting to wear out.

Ta,

Some replace the clutch arm and the pivot parts to remove any creaks or possibility of future creaks.

See pelican parts website they do a kit with everything they recommend to replace.

Also the gearbox mount will be saggy at this mileage.

Either replace with OE (need a press and awkward) or fit a powerflex insert.

Engine mounts too if they have never ben replaced.

.... as marky says, where to stop!

Having recently done this job myself i can confirm the trans mount replacement made a big difference on mine - less nodding on gear change but engine mounts prob made most of that difference.

I made a tool to insert the new trans mount without the use of a press - pretty simple using two lengths of stud to pull it into place (i did leave the new one in the freezer over night to help it reduce in size slightly). The original has a plastic outer which can simply be cut out.

If anyone wants to borrow my tool you are all welcome - but due to size and weight - you would have to collect from Essex and return please.

I would probably say this would be possible in situ - but i didn't try (just drop the nose of the trans to give clearance (supported by jack/ stand).

stick a charger on it ? :?: :thumbs: :bandit:

Hi chaps - just a brief update.

Sachs clutch kit, LUK flywheel, bolts and Porsche RMS ordered from carparts4less\eurocarparts. Came in at ~£555 including VAT & delivery.

Will put it on the ramps next week and take stock of anything else.

coullstar said:
For all that? That's cheap!!

Yes - I think it's there or there abouts. Carparts4less were still doing the WEEKEND14 14% discount so that helped. Then a phone call asking for a price match on both the clutch kit and flywheel against some ebay traders.

It's only the start though...
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back