Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Depreciation of Cayman GTS

krishcanag said:
Yes I guess having never owned a brand new car it's a once in a lifetime wise.
Also the 981 GTS is slower than my TTS so I cannot understand spending 30k and part exchange for a slower car.

The new GTS is my only option the gt2/3/4 are all above my ability.

My guess is in 5 years the ttrs would be worth 40% while I expect the new GTS to be 55% maybe, assuming 40000 miles. Would anyone disagree?

Krish

Man,

If you are debating whether to buy The Cayman GTS or an Audi TTs over a 'possible' 15% and not being able to decide then I guess you should buy the Audi beetle because it's looking clearer that you may not 'get' the Porsche ......
Personally the decision wouldn't be over a possible residual like that , it's about the days you drive it and the enjoyment .....you will maybe never know that feeling dude ....

krishcanag said:
Also the 981 GTS is slower than my TTS so I cannot understand spending 30k and part exchange for a slower car.

My guess is in 5 years the ttrs would be worth 40% while I expect the new GTS to be 55% maybe, assuming 40000 miles. Would anyone disagree?

Krish

A Little bit of naivety there Krish if you don't mind me saying.... speed is relative and not even the be all and end all. I've been in and owned much faster cars but whether I can in reality drive them faster or have more fun is a different question. The margin between a TTRS and 981 in the real world is more than offset by other factors. I guess however as Iv'e already expressed that comparing the TTRS to the 4 pot 718 turbo motor is a closer challenge. Personally I would rather have 50 less BHP but a NA power delivery and associated orgasmic soundtrack that a turbo engine can only dream of :wink:

turn your speakers up !

isysman said:
[

Your TTS is faster than a 981 GTS? Is it modified?

The TTS 0-60 4.6 sec
981 GTS 0-60 4.8 sec
Ttrs 3.6 sec not 3.7
New Cayman GTS 4.1 sec

I listened to the sound the old 981 GTS makes and it is amazing I can only compare that to the Cayman s and no contest. In comparison to the new ttrs the 981 GTS beats that as well but only just both are great.

People keep posting in ref to TT, the base TT is a wet blanket with a hair dryer compared to the ttrs.

I agree the Porsche is better and more fun to drive but I want g force acceleration as well as good handling. I cannot get that form the old 981gts I think. Though I might see if I can test drive one but my heart is not in a slower car.

Krish

GTS PDK 0-60 is 4.1 seconds. But as others have said that's not what it's about. Car ownership is about so much more than that. The 981 Boxster S was 4.2 seconds.

isysman said:
GTS PDK 0-60 is 4.1 seconds. But as others have said that's not what it's about. Car ownership is about so much more than that. The 981 Boxster S was 4.2 seconds.

??
On auto trader or Porsche a 981 GTS with pdk it says 4.8 sec 340hp

The new one is 4.1 which is fast enough for me my original question was if both depreciate give or take 15% difference between them I may go with ttrs if it's more like 25 % difference between the new Cayman GTS and ttrs over five years I would take higher monthly payments to buy the GTS
Krish

jonttt said:
krishcanag said:

Krish

A Little bit of naivety there Krish if you don't mind me saying.... speed is relative and not even the be all and end all. I've been in and owned much faster cars but whether I can in reality drive them faster or have more fun is a different question. The margin between a TTRS and 981 in the real world is more than offset by other factors. I guess however as Iv'e already expressed that comparing the TTRS to the 4 pot 718 turbo motor is a closer challenge. Personally I would rather have 50 less BHP but a NA power delivery and associated orgasmic soundtrack that a turbo engine can only dream of :wink:

turn your speakers up !

[/quote

What a road, what a car , what a sound👍👍

What a car , what a sound , what a road ..... yeah that's the order😀😀👍👍

That's the best vid I've seen Catchpole do yet!

So easy to decide if you ask me , would be even easier now.....!

krishcanag said:
isysman said:

??
On auto trader or Porsche a 981 GTS with pdk it says 4.8 sec 340hp

The new one is 4.1 which is fast enough for me my original question was if both depreciate give or take 15% difference between them I may go with ttrs if it's more like 25 % difference between the new Cayman GTS and ttrs over five years I would take higher monthly payments to buy the GTS
Krish[/quote

You are just Not getting it or the advice the good folks are giving you..... are you ?
Are you on the Audi TT forum asking the opposite questions ....?

You are quoting 0-60 times .... these are of no consequence at all in the real world or do these really matter to you? If so .... why ? Everyone of us likes to get the food down but there is nothing like hooking up the flowing bends on your favourite stretch of road .... I don't know any one who times himself along their piece of asphalt!

Just buy the Audi save a few green ones and you can drive it , while always wondering 'I wonder how much better the GTS would have been on that stretch?"

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman-s/7366/porsche-cayman-gts-review-price-and-video

This link confirms that 981 Cayman GTS takes 4.8 sec with pdk.

In UK roads doing fast cornering on country roads is not something I would do much of, too risky for cyclists. But in Swiss and maybe Italy that would be great but I am not going there often. I drove to grindweld Switzerland in the TTS, very nice. The old GTS sounds great drives well no doub.the new GTS may sound better than the S, but no where as good as the ttrs, but all other factors in its favour over the ttrs even though it's slower. If the new GTS had the old engine and was improved, no debate as to which one.
Krish

Well regardless of which time is accurate I think you're completely missing the point. The better car is not defined by this figure. It's about the experience, the feel of the interior, how you feel when you're driving it, how it handles. You should drive both cars or all cars and make your mind up from that. Not from 0-60, that's for bragging rights.

Ok guys, I still want to go for the GTS but I want you experienced Porsche guys honest opinion on if you were in my shoes which GTS would you buy?
The old 981 GTS approx 64k or new GTS 71k?

Krish

You can get a 981 GTS for less than that, I picked up a high spec OPC car with nearly 3 years warranty for £55k back in Feb :thumb:

Price for the 981 seems steep. I can't see how they have increased in value to that extent.

The 718 is a stonking car. Having not been a Porsche owner when I had the 718S for a day I wasn't really bothered about all the fuss reference the noise versus the NA car. The turbo sounded fine to me and went like a rocket!
However, having been a 997 C4S owner for 11 months I can't say I am keen on the turbo engine as much now.

If you are not bothered about the engine noise I would say go for the 718 GTS. Enjoy the experience of owning your own spec car there is something about that experience even if it is an expensive one :)

jonttt said:
You can get a 981 GTS for less than that, I picked up a high spec OPC car with nearly 3 years warranty for £55k back in Feb :thumb:

14plate 57k now and,16 plate 64k

What depreciation :floor:

You really have to get a drive in one, I had a fully loaded 718 boxster S for 3 days and there is no way I could own one after the 981 GTS. Believe me I would be the first in the queue for a 718 GTS if I actually wanted one.......

But if a new car is your priority a 981 will simply not do it for you and then you have a dilemma. To me the 718 is a step back in terms of driving experience not a step forward and it grates me that I simply cannot just tell you to get the 718 as I should :frustrated:

The problem I have is that I've never been into Audi's, I would much prefer a BMW or Mercedes over them :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back