Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mixed coil packs BERU, Bremi

veearrsix

Monza
I am replacing plugs and coils on my 996tt. I purchased 6 beru coils from ECP and they are all the large headed 997 ones. I noticed on site some discussion about them not fitting in all locations, cylinder #5 being an issue. On closer inspection, it would appear the coil pack might well be touching the hard pipe that kinks right near cylinder #5, if it isn't touching its only the thickness of a sheet of paper away. I have now purchased another coil, with the smaller head that should fit no problem in this location. However, this is a bremi coil. Should this be a problem? Or should I leave the large coil in place? I didn't have any issues getting it in place, its just a little close for comfort.

I had the same problem on my 997.1 turbo, the front D/S one won't go in with the actuator hitting it. Ended up buying one from Porsche, who still do the old style pack, so all mine were Beru.
The cover plates are also a bit of a tight fit but they still went back on.
As for your question I can't see one different make affecting it but as I've never done it who knows!

I think there's more than two types, the early '997' ones have the shorter bolts and the later (current) type ones also have a 997 part number but with the thicker casing and hence longer external torx type bolts - both made by BERU.

I have a feeling that the early 997 type are getting harder to source on the aftermarket, perhaps superceded by the fatter type and the original (older) type being still available from Porsche for this reason (compatibility)

Personally I would have just sourced six the same for the sake of it, they're not expensive. Unlikely to make a difference but why would you want them different when you don't need to? What would Porsche have supplied if you were buying directly from them - 5 of one type and 1 old style or 6 matching ones. Are Bremi any good? :?:

I guess the only positive aspect is that the later ones are supposed to be better/more reliable/less susceptible to cracking etc, so you've got a lower chance of developing a problem with only one of the old type! :thumb:

When I bought my car it had a single failing coil pack and my Indy replaced it with the later version. It ran fine with a mix.

Of course another failed later so I replaced them all. I used Beru from ECP rather than their cheaper variety, it didn't seem worth the risk to save a few pounds.

When I bought my car it had a single failing coil pack and my Indy replaced it with the later version. It ran fine with a mix.

Of course another failed later so I replaced them all. I used Beru from ECP rather than their cheaper variety, it didn't seem worth the risk to save a few pounds.

Both failed coil packs had failed across the mountings so I suspect the thicker mounts may be an improvement?

I would have rather sourced a beru with the smaller head, but the cars been in bits for a good few weeks now, and I need the garage space so I can change a dpf on my X5. I checked if the larger head coil pack was fouling the hard pipe and it was, so I've gone with the bremi version, I'll find out soon enough if it been a success.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back