Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How many miles per year in your 993

Albionmuz

More garage queens than used cars?

My Targa had done less than 2k in 6 years when I bought it last November. I have tried to limit how much I drive it but have still managed to rack up 3.5k including an 8 hour drive in each direction from Caen to South West France. What fun that was.

I reckon I will struggle to do less than that every year, thus wiping value off the car year on year...but we are only here the once....probably

Albionmuz said:
I have tried to limit how much I drive it

:? I just don't get this logic.

You buy a car and don't want to use it. In which case I can recommend a marble plinth as you're clearly in the invester camp. :roll:

If I was ever to put on a pair of Jonttt rose tinted specs I'd suggest that racking up nominal mileage you aint going to lose much and that surely is the price you pay for enjoying the car :dont know:

You're still paying for maintenance on it, you'll still be changing the rubber due to age and not wear so just use it :wink:

Only thing that limits my driving is free time.

If there is going to be a member count (with the obligatory 'values' undertone) I reckon Jonttt will be the lowest user having only driven it for its annual service and then home again :hand:

I've got colleagues around me (50s, 60s) either suddenly dying, terminal illness, dementia (at 64 :eek: ) which is making me realise you can have all the spare cash and missed opportunities but they're no good when you're dead. :nooo:

Zingari said:
Albionmuz said:

You buy a car and don't want to use it. In which case I can recommend a marble plinth as you're clearly in the invester camp. :roll:

If I was ever to put on a pair of Jonttt rose tinted specs I'd suggest that racking up nominal mileage you aint going to lose much and that surely is the price you pay for enjoying the car :dont know:

You're still paying for maintenance on it, you'll still be changing the rubber due to age and not wear so just use it :wink:

If there is going to be a member count (with the obligatory 'values' undertone) I reckon Jonttt will be the lowest user having only driven it for its annual service and then home again :hand:

I've got colleagues around me (50s, 60s) either suddenly dying, terminal illness, dementia (at 64 :eek: ) which is making me realise you can have all the spare cash and missed opportunities but they're no good when you're dead. :nooo:

This ^^^^^^. I rack up around 6K miles a year in mine. If the Insurance allowed it, it would be twice that amount. :D

Zingari said:
Albionmuz said:

I thought 3500 miles would be quite high in comparison to most on here and I do have 5 other cars to consider too :eek:

Zingari said:

Yep, I'm going doolally . . . but I never regret putting miles on mine.
Around 9k last year, and loved every minute!
:thumb:

Keep it real :thumb:

BTW there are a few silent Iuuminati 'brethren' who haven't posted for ages. Rumour has it they've taken the dough :dont know:

I had mine for just under ten years ........ I bought it with 66k on the clock and sold it with 107K on the clock ....... a decent mileage was covered and most of that was on trips to the Continent.

p.s. Haven't you got your smart phone yet?

I was doing 10k per year at first, but now have the Insurance limit so probably only do about 3k now.
The car did spend over a year away having all sorts done to it and only did about 300 miles last year!
I'm starting to put that right now, but as Zingers said - getting time to drive these cars can be hard work. I personally only use mine at weekends, days off and holidays. I will not spend rush hour sat on the M6 in the 993 every day - as good a car as they are, this is no fun.

1,191 miles between my last two MOTs.

It's not that I'm deliberately trying to keep the miles down (that horse has already bolted), it's just that I don't really have many opportunities to drive it. I knew this before I bought it and although I couldn't justify the purchase based on usage I decided to do it anyway for exactly the reasons Zingari described about not knowing what's around the corner in life, missed opportunities and all that.

I still get a lot of enjoyment from the car even though I don't drive it a great deal. I love the process of getting it just how I want it, of cleaning it and sometimes just looking at it. I don't begrudge spending any money on it because it's all part of improving it. I suppose I get a bit of a thrill from just possessing it.

I can understand that for some the enjoyment of a car is all about the driving but that's only a part of it for me. Perhaps it's my personality type but it wouldn't feel quite as special to me if I was driving it nine or ten thousand miles a year. In fact, I seem to deliberately restrict most things that I find enjoyable. I think the anticipation of something is half of the enjoyment for me. ( :what: any psychiatrists on the forum? I might have some 'issues'.)

I am way too embarrassed to disclose how few miles I drove it this year.

Here are just some of the reasons I always seem to come up with:

• I'll have to move the Rangie out of the way first

It's raining, has rained, looks like it might rain

There's nowhere safe to park

The car park will be too busy to find an isolated space

They don't have a driveway so I'll have to park outside on a busy road and the locals can't be trusted not to key/steal it

It's too hot and there's nowhere in the shade to park

There's salt on the road

Part of the route involves passing through an area where they all drive like tw*ts

It's too short a distance to get the engine properly warm

I need to take XXXXX with me and the boot is too small

It's a bit far and that drive belt really needs changing first

I need to give mother a lift and she can't get in/out of it

Think I need help. :oops:

Around 5000 miles every year since I bought it in 2012.

madalaa said:
p.s. Haven't you got your smart phone yet?

I'm saving up for Christmas :thumb: :roll:

Hi Zingers - how many miles a year in the fabled silver surfer? Or are you keeping it low to promote a rose-tinted glow :grin: :grin: :grin:

Who are these ' Iuuminati" of whom you speak? I know who they are. They meet bi-annually to discuss values, acceptable modifications and those gagging to divest themselves of their 80's 964's in order to get with the cool kids in 993's.

Had mine for 9 years which I can't believe...longest I have ever owned a car. Think I bought it with 60k or 70k, now it has 163k.
Used as a company car and drove all over the place in all weathers, including.....winter when that salt stuff is all over the road.
I am not driving so much for work these days as my customers offices are either a tube ride away or short 40 min round trip. But I do use it as it is my only car on the road now. Suspect though that I am only doing a max of 3-5k a year now.
I feel privileged to own a car I dreamt of and couldn't bare just looking at it and polishing it. I think time allowing we all have a responsibility to drive them and enjoy them, we are lucky to be able to afford them as many can't.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back