Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox oil

Is it for a rebuilt or used gearbox?

If used then this comes recommended Millers Oils TRX Synth 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90

From memory just shy of 3 litres is required.

From memory it is 2.7L - sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

I tried to buy it from porsche colchester and they did not stock it as a service quantity, but would sell it to me in 5L quantities if i took in my own container to be filled from their drum in the workshop.

Recommend Opie Oils for advice and service, buy most of my lube from them :?:

My 996 is due a gearbox oil change, at 96k I suspect it's never been done. I am thinking about Millers after all the positive reviews on the forum and there seem to be 3 options:
Nanodrive
TRX fully synthetic
CRX competition synthetic

I've seen the first two recommended here but the Millers' site recommends the CRX, any experience from anyone here?

Mike

I've used the first two on two cars, but not the latter, sorry.

If it's Miller's it's unlikely to be bad. However I would worry about CRX being a motorsport oil, designed to be changed far more often that a road car?

I agree, I'll call them and ask....

Well I called and I'm more confused now. They seem to think that the CRX will be ok for a road car and is their highest performing oil. However the EE Nanodrive didn't seem to feature with them at all.

As said before, give Olpie oils a ring, very knowlegible and friendly.
The challenge I found when I changed the oil recently is thet the Porsche recomended ones are now only available in 20l quantities which is rather a lot when I only need 2.7l.
On Olpies recomendation I went for Motul gear 300, I have an LSD, not sure if that made a difference to the advice (from what I've read it shouldn't need a different oil).

Rumour has it that Shell Spirax is the factory fill and comes from the OPC in Porsche bottles.

You can buy it in Europe in 1litre bottles, hard to find over here except from OPC.

Do use a decent oil though, I filled with triple qx of the correct spec and the box was awful when cold. A refill with motul sorted it.

Thanks Wasz and Caterman,
various people have reported that a good oil makes a positive difference and I don't plan to change the oil again so I want to get it right.

The oil is cheap enough no matter which I choose and and I had high hopes of Millers given positive reviews but which one? I was very surprised how indecisive they were on the phone!

Yes tried that already, a good dose of Plus Gas and it came out easily.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back