Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Cayman?

Gazza

I was hoping for some advice on the various Caymens a available. I currently own a 1984 Capri 2.8 and am looking to sell it and get something more modern and practical to drive. I will be looking at a budget of around 20k-25k and would really appreciate some views on what's best, what's best to avoid and things to look out for. Links to buyers guides would be great. Many Thanks.

Hi Gazza

:welcome: to 911uk.

We've got quite a few Cayman owners on here so you'll get some personal response but in the meantime have a good read of the previous threads in this sub-forum and you'll get a good flavour of what to look for etc etc,

There's also a great buyers guide available within this link

==> https://www.hartech.org/

Gazza said:
I was hoping for some advice on the various Caymens a available. I currently own a 1984 Capri 2.8 and am looking to sell it and get something more modern and practical to drive. I will be looking at a budget of around 20k-25k and would really appreciate some views on what's best, what's best to avoid and things to look out for. Links to buyers guides would be great. Many Thanks.

Gazza,

Welcome to the site, I am sure like most of us I should imagine you were lurking , gleaning info up to now !

With the budget that you have identified , I should imagine that you would get a very nice 987 gen 1 3.4s if you do your diligence and pick the right spec to suit your needs.

Another option at that price would be a 987 Gen 2 2.9 car ..... which in my experience is a really sweet combination and a beauty to drive, IMHO its a great blend of power , handling dynamics and value.

I am sure there will be more members along soon with their thoughts too .....

Good luck with your search..

At this budget, you'll certainly get a nice gen 2 2.9. I would avoid the gen 1 3.4. Too risky (I own one, so am not saying they are bad cars, just a bad choice at this budget).

You may very well get a good gen 2 3.5 for the top end of the budget. If you have a bit of spare cash for running beyond the stated budget, I'd lean gen 2 3.4. If the £25k doesn't leave you much of a slush fund that you can reasonably happily put into the car when faults occur, aim for lower end of budget and a 2.9.

As the others have mentioned you will be able to obtain a 987 genII Cayman for around that figure, somewhere around the 2010/2011 registration. I picked one up for the Mrs a few weeks ago in really good condition and fairly low miles for 22k on a 10 plate with full main dealer history Cracking little thing, it is.
Welcome to the forum too
:thumb:

I also own a 3.4S Gen1 and took the risk, albeit a 2007 so minimised those risks!!

Mind you I did pay £13.5k private purchase and it was the exact car I wanted and had budget to make it sweet (I do all but the really big stuff myself) and have a contingency too! Looked at Gen 2, another 10k and if you don't want to be concerned get that one every time!

:thumb:

Afraid a 2007 gen 1 3.4 doesn't minimise any risks! All gen 1 3.4 Caymans are the same risk. No changes were made to the engine.

Gen 2 Cayman 987 owner here. Mines a 2009 2.9. Only had it a few months. Really really love it.

I just read the buyers guides. I think Porsche club GB have one on their website. Second gen seemed the way to go. Make sure it's got a full expected history and had all its services and fluids done at the right point. Mine seemed fairly standard pattern of Porsche opc for first years then indi servicing. One thing if not used to Porsches is they pick up stone chips like magnets and coming from other cars felt a bit miffed at this, but since being into Porsches realised it's almost a badge of honour as they all get it (local Porsche opc showed me a 911 gt3 in their showroom with gravel rash and made me feel better ha).

People seem to say with porkers it's all about spec. But for me, I was going against that grain - I wanted one that looked right, the way I wanted, not the spec. And with 987s that seemed a lot harder than finding one that had climate control rather than basic AC. There were plenty of specced out ones but they all looked a bit, well, pedestrian for my liking.. I managed to find a cracking speed yellow one with black wheels and well looked after. It's got air con, cruise plus some other things but other than that it's engine and a steering wheel. I bought it for me not the next guy. It looks a million dollars and is my baby :).

I've not owned a Porsche before and can't comment on the performance comparatively with other porsches. I owned a BMW 325i and the Porsche feels way faster to my heathen motoring judgement and handles sublime. It's just good fun. Despite "only" being a 2.9 It is nearly a 3 litre engine in quite a light little car. I went into ownership knowing you have to put your hand in your pocket from time to time to keep these up to scratch. :grin:

Go for a drive in a few. Some people (can't think why) do report occasionally they seem to be disappointment with Caymans when they have ago. Must be missed expectations. It is a little pocket rocket that you have to climb into, so if one is looking for more saloon family man practicality then i can see it would disappoint. Better off with an M3 in that case. That said, it's got loads of storage in my judgement. A very deep front boot and a decent sized rear hatch area. My misses and I got all our suitcases and paraphernalia for a weekend break in it no bother.

The other thing is I've been getting 27 -29 mpg driving locally which I'm well happy with - I owned a little 206 1.4 Peugeot as a hack about and that did 35mpg around town so the Porsche hardly needs its own oil field either.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back