Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another Head Unit Replacement Thread!!

What are the best aftermarket speakers to replace the door woofers, mine sound very muddy when I turn the volume and bass up on my Dynavin?

It seems nothing of standard of availability of speakers I.e. a direct fit from Alpine, Pioneer, JBL etc will fit perfectly in the front door and rear side panels unless some custom bracket is made from my understanding which is sad unless as a bracket or template is mad as Rob_p stated !!!!!!

Would be a good to have direct replacement speakers which makes life bloody easier!!

j

There are 2 things here guys and bear with me because I am no audiophile.

There are 2 speakers in the door - a "normal" one and a bass unit ("woofer" I think). The whole system is based on separate components so I guess that names the normal one a "mid"?? The tweeter is in the dash.
The "normal" one can be very easily replaced by the alpine units in my ownerships thread. They are as good as a straight replacement.

I did quite a bit of research on the bass units and I couldn't find anything which could replace them BUT the feedback is generally very positive on these from people with better ears than mine. The KEY here is that they have to be powered by an amp. From the factory they are but if you go aftermarket a simple mono amp will do the job and will transform the sound.

I would assume that the navtv option takes care of this because the bose amp is retained, dynamvin I don't know.

But I would think very carefully before replacing the bass units. In my car they work so well I have disconnected the subwoofer on the rear shelf because I just don't need it.

To be honest. I'm happy with the sound that Bose gives. It's not my Every day car but spending a good few ££££££££ on a stereo will benefit a better sound. I spent nearly a grand on my head unit and the quality of sound was a big transormation. And it has all the frequency divider. EQ..electronic sub bass cross over and when thats all adjusted well you then realise what the Bose sound could really give. It's why I'm pleased with its sound..

J

rob_p said:
If you look on my ownership thread here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=87976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

This is where I replaced the front speakers.
They are as good as a straight replacement with minimal work to fit.
I used a slightly smaller speaker (8cm I think) for the rears and did have to make some mdf templates to get them in. In hindsight I remember thinking that I probably could have squeezed the same 10cm units in that I used in the front - but I can't be 100% sure they would work.

Biggest problem was getting the door panels off - buy some new clips ready because the old ones will break.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks for the link Rob :thumb: useful to see a good pic of the inside of the door.

Stuart Mackay said:
What are the best aftermarket speakers to replace the door woofers, mine sound very muddy when I turn the volume and bass up on my Dynavin?

Stuart, I doubt you will find a replacement 8" woofer to fit where the standard one does, it is very shallow for am 8" driver. Much better to replace with a 6.5" unit with an adapter ring which is what I'm planning to do. If you have a router,or know someone who has, its easy to make an adapter using the old speaker as a template.

Thanks Guys for your help on the door speakers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back