Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What was everyones first Mod on their 997?

Phil 997 said:
Boba fett said:
SausageCreature said:
Turbo splitter on the front to beef up the chinless wonder. Not a fan of aero kits and this was the perfect, subtle answer.

:useless:

yes agreed

e-needpics.gif

On behalf of sausage....

The turbo splitter was from https://www.9apart.co.uk second hand and in poor condition £90.

Then the work starts.

First it needs to be cut to size, the turbo is wider than the Carrera.

This is done by taking a section out of the middle bit, and plastic welded back together. I had the middle section where the cut was made re-inforced behind the join to give it extra strength in case of catching it on the ground. It's been there for a few years now and hasn't been a problem.

Then for it to be attached to the front PU : The Carrera PU doesn't have any way of fitting it on. I had small holes cut into the PU for the lugs on the splitter to fit in and secure to as well as attached with some strong gluey type of stuff that bodyshop folks use.

Then the front of the car was painted including the now fitted splitter- The paint work was something that needed doing thanks to the Scottish 911UK tour and the sheer amount of stone chip damage - my front PU was more white than black.

So I asked the body shop if they would do all the above, and I think the guy added an extra £100 on to the respray work for doing the splitter from start to finish. Any decent body shop should be able to do it.

Proper modding! :thumbs:

Result looks lovely.

^^ Thanks. I am very happy with it. I think it echoes old school 911 looks quite nicely. Which is why I took that photos alongside the two air cooled.

Thanks a million for posting the pics James :)

I just need to decide now whether to keep it or upgrade to a turbo, not sure on 996 or 997, or cab or coupe at the moment but the bee is in the bonnet.

easternjets said:
My only problem was I overtook a few other 911 guys, 3rd gear overtake, when we stopped one of the guys said my Turbo sounded like a supercharged hairdryer!! fast but no noise. Much as I do love the car do I have to spend 3k on a Kline or other make of exhaust to get it to sound like a 500 bhp supercar!
What is a good mod that won't detract from what is otherwise a very genuine car?

Similar situation for me with friends, and someone suggested a turbo sounded like a giant space-hoover. Who cares, it's a 911 turbo and that is enough - epic cars.

Everyone loves a PSE, but for me my C2 without PSE is just fine. Frankly the noise is a "nicety" but it doesn't reduce any pleasure from the drive or the car and that is what counts for me.

SausageCreature said:
easternjets said:
My only problem was I overtook a few other 911 guys, 3rd gear overtake, when we stopped one of the guys said my Turbo sounded like a supercharged hairdryer!! fast but no noise. Much as I do love the car do I have to spend 3k on a Kline or other make of exhaust to get it to sound like a 500 bhp supercar!
What is a good mod that won't detract from what is otherwise a very genuine car?

Similar situation for me with friends, and someone suggested a turbo sounded like a giant space-hoover. Who cares, it's a 911 turbo and that is enough - epic cars.

Everyone loves a PSE, but for me my C2 without PSE is just fine. Frankly the noise is a "nicety" but it doesn't reduce any pleasure from the drive or the car and that is what counts for me.

Standard they do sound poor, however with a chosen zaust they sound Epic, just to everyone else though, as you leave the sound behind.

I have a mate with an M3 V8 (and they sound good with an Akra) and he wanted to see how much my car was faster, well it might as well have been a Puch Maxi, but rather astonishingly he said when it took off, it sounded absolutely awesome.

I let him drive my Porsche, and Oh my god what a noise, just a shame you cant here as well in the car, you can a bit when in a built up area when it bounces off the buildings either side.

At least I know what it sounds like on full chat, and its bloody lovely :thumb:

Get a Turbo :thumb:

Done
DSC Module. Superb.
Alpine Double Din to replace 'Atari' PCM 2.1. Superb.

In the works. But expecting great things.
Second hand OEM exhaust for cat removal and restoration of proper sound.
GT3 wheel to replace standard 'Transit Van' standard triangle wheel.
AMG paddles for above.
BMC filter. On order.
IPD plenum. On order.
Larger throttle body. On order.
Revised intake pipe work. On order.

:thumbs:

New997buyer said:
Done
DSC Module. Superb.
Alpine Double Din to replace 'Atari' PCM 2.1. Superb.

In the works. But expecting great things.
Second hand OEM exhaust for cat removal and restoration of proper sound.
GT3 wheel to replace standard 'Transit Van' standard triangle wheel.
AMG paddles for above.
BMC filter. On order.
IPD plenum. On order.
Larger throttle body. On order.
Revised intake pipe work. On order.

:thumbs:

popcorn3.gif
watching with interest
:thumb:

SausageCreature said:
The turbo splitter was from https://www.9apart.co.uk second hand and in poor condition £90.

Then the work starts.

First it needs to be cut to size, the turbo is wider than the Carrera.

This is done by taking a section out of the middle bit, and plastic welded back together. I had the middle section where the cut was made re-inforced behind the join to give it extra strength in case of catching it on the ground. It's been there for a few years now and hasn't been a problem.

Then for it to be attached to the front PU : The Carrera PU doesn't have any way of fitting it on. I had small holes cut into the PU for the lugs on the splitter to fit in and secure to as well as attached with some strong gluey type of stuff that bodyshop folks use.

Then the front of the car was painted including the now fitted splitter- The paint work was something that needed doing thanks to the Scottish 911UK tour and the sheer amount of stone chip damage - my front PU was more white than black.

So I asked the body shop if they would do all the above, and I think the guy added an extra £100 on to the respray work for doing the splitter from start to finish. Any decent body shop should be able to do it.

Sausage, that does give it a nicer presence up front and a nice option for those who dont want to go aftermarket. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back