Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can you recommend a stop over in central France

Johnd52

Hi folks. Calling all the seasoned travellers on here. Can anyone recommend an interesting town for a stop over half way back to Calais from the south of France? We have done Lyon, Dijon, Beaune and a few others. All these have been great for a wander round. We don't mind going a bit further west but looking for a place with some character, scenery, history etc. that we could explore in an evening.

Thanks. J.

Johnd52 said:
Hi folks. Calling all the seasoned travellers on here. Can anyone recommend an interesting town for a stop over half way back to Calais from the south of France? We have done Lyon, Dijon, Beaune and a few others. All these have been great for a wander round. We don't mind going a bit further west but looking for a place with some character, scenery, history etc. that we could explore in an evening.

Thanks. J.

Hi, not sure if it's too far north for you, but Angers is really nice.

Vichy is ok if a bit faded and small. If you can bear a bit longer in th car Reims is nice and has good food (and champagne, obviously). Longer still and you get into the battlefields region which has lots of small towns but pretty interesting stop-offs, be they cemeteries or museums.

I assume you've done it to death, and it is a bit too far south, but Lyon is definitely worth more than one visit.

An alternative is to go way west and stop in Tours or, perhaps Le Mans.

Otherwise, the choice does seem to be quite limited.

Troyes is a beautiful small town, and a road in the area numbered 996 is well worth a visit

ab80 said:
Vichy is ok if a bit faded and small. If you can bear a bit longer in th car Reims is nice and has good food (and champagne, obviously). Longer still and you get into the battlefields region which has lots of small towns but pretty interesting stop-offs, be they cemeteries or museums.

I assume you've done it to death, and it is a bit too far south, but Lyon is definitely worth more than one visit.

An alternative is to go way west and stop in Tours or, perhaps Le Mans.

Otherwise, the choice does seem to be quite limited.

My (French) wife has corrected me - the choice is not limited, I just never want to deviate far enough from the road. There are lots of nice small places.

i'd recommend Chateau-Chinon in the Morvan... furthermore the road (D27) from Avallon till Luzy is just magnificent!

Chalon Sur Saone?

Beaune?

Back now. Thank you for the suggestions. We ended up back in Reims where we knew we could walk into the city and get some good food ( although that is not difficult in France). Leisurely breakfast, compliant eurotunnel and back in North Yorkshire by 16:30. Blooming cold here!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back