Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

I got the build details for my car from Porsche GB - it was supplied by Porsche Cars Middle East, apparently, which I didn't know.

It's a South African spec car - which the build sheet doesn't mention.

Here's the thing I'm wondering about:

24097382338_12410ce4b6_b.jpg

Completed on the 18th of May 1998
First registered on the 2nd of June 1998
However the UK V5 shows 29th of July 1998 as first reg - does this mean that it was registered in a different country, then shipped to the UK?

Or is the registration that Porsche show the time when they deliver the car to the dealer/dealer network?

I think youll find that the Porsche date is the date they shipped it to who ever , the V5 would be the date it was registered in this country which can be several monthes after shipping .

Interesting, thanks.

I had heard that the reason we get other RHD territory cars here is because the order was placed from the UK but outside the OPC UK network, and the car was usually shipped straight to the UK and first registered here.

Cypriot territory cars etc.

Dammit said:
A chap on Pistonheads (Escy) had to watch whilst his Boxster burnt out, which turned my mind toward the question of what would I do/be able to do if smoke started coming from the engine bay.

Currently the answer is get out of the car and then commence crying, so I thought I'd do something about it that might lead to a less lachrymose outcome.

There was an option to have a fire extinguisher fitted - option M509.

Now Porsche no longer supply fire extinguishers, but given that the one used in the kit is simply a Gloria P1DB you can order one from any number of German sites. If you wish to buy the English language version then the Kidde KSP1GM appears to be very near to/the same unit.

I ordered the Gloria for OCD reasons/it's the OEM one.

The rest of the parts are as follows:
999 141 028 02 x 3 = screws to mount metal bracket to seat frame
996 521 674 00 (LHD) or 996 521 673 00 (RHD) x 1 = metal mounting bracket
900 067 137 02 x 2 screws to mount extinguisher cradle to metal bracket
900 151 027 02 x 2 washers for the above screws
996 521 607 00 x 1 Plastic red cradle to hold extinguisher

And are available from your OPC for £110.

The Kidde is available for ~£13, the Gloria for ~€30, so you can install option M509 for less than £150.

Here's what it looks like fitted:
774943d1383362546-help-fitting-fire-extinguisher-i509-to-sport-adaptive-seat-fire3.jpg

This is conspicuous value if you look at the bracket+extinguisher currently on eBay for £495.

Ok, so this is bad information - or at least incomplete.

First off, there are two additional parts needed for the kit above to be correct, they're identified as part 17 in this diagram:

37941297532_edd8e69b3c_b.jpg

However, and rather more annoyingly, this picture is dead wrong:

37941303582_c21465b11c_b.jpg

In that the 1kg extinguisher pictured is not designed for that bracket/cup.

Now the bracket/cup is correct for the 996 era 911, but at that time Gloria made a 1.3kg extinguisher, which is the one you need.

These are NLA, it looks like the source is therefore German eBay:

37971596981_b79a52d3cf_b.jpg

These went into a lot of mid-nineties Mercedes it appears.

I've ordered two of part 17, and I'm now debating what to do with regards to the extinguisher.

Option 1 is to get a 1.3kg unit from eBay.de
Option 2 is to get a different bracket for a 1kg extinguisher

Fascinating stuff eh?

If its any interest ive not seen or herd of a 996 catching fire in the engine bay in nearly 14 years of working on them .

Ive seen one 996 that had an electrical fire that did cause some smoke damage but an extinguisher wouldn,t have helped with that .

But i must applaud your commitment and having one is far better than not as other cars do catch fire :)

I've got a first aid kit in the front tucked behind the spare wheel, and I've never hurt myself in the car in ~25 years.

But a large part of this Fleuerloscher project is because I think it is fun, and it makes the car slightly more individual without doing anything silly.

Of course, that might just mean that I'm incredibly dull - a seat mounted fire extinguisher instead of a lime green bonnet.

The car is booked in for the start of Jan 2018 to have:
- All corrosion treated (boot lid, OSF wheel well, door striker plate are)
- All dents gone
- New roof, including painting frame matt black
- Seat backs and tunnel body colour
- Boot release levers painted silver with new decals

Question- should the seat backs and tunnel be lacquered?

Mate of mine says they were not, when done by the factory - in his 993.

Hi D,

as far as I'm aware and on all 996s I've seen, "body colour" means body colour, so if your exterior is lacquered, your tunnel etc should be. Can't think why anyone wouldn't to be honest, as flat paint would look a bit strange.

I know my 996.1 GT3 was spec'd with code XME (rear centre console painted body colour) from the factory and it was bright Guards red, just like a body panel.

On a different note, where are you sourcing the bonnet and engine cover lever decals? This is a job on my list at some point. Are you stripping the car yourself or just driving in then driving out?
I look forward to seeing the results. :thumb:

Hi Mark, thanks for the photo - that's definitely not a matt finish as far as I can see.

I got the decals off eBay, they're good quality I think - the painter is going to spray the levers, apply the decals, then lacquer.

The seller I bought from has none for sale at the moment - they're "cbz281", might be worth shooting them a message to see if they have more/can get more if you need some?

Does anyone know the paint code for the the levers, thinking about it?

I'm using a place near Chobham - Multi-Tech painting and D:Class upholsterers, as they are two businesses owned by a pair of brothers, and they're directly across the same courtyard from one another.

That means (hopefully!) that the trimmer can pull the seats and the tunnel cover, plus the roof, then the painter can pull the bumpers, wings, windscreen, boot-lid, door-strikers, fix the rot, paint everything, re-assemble the car whilst the trimmer assembles and fits the chairs and tunnel, then puts a new roof on (the roof bars are being re-painted matt black whilst the roof is off).

I'll be in California whilst most of this is done - it's actually going to be tight dropping it off before I fly out.

Great thread, thank you. Lots to think about for my own C4 Cab.

BTW I have used both D:Class and Multi Tech for work on my Mercs in the past and would recommend them.

Thanks again.

Tim

Backlane41 said:
Great thread, thank you. Lots to think about for my own C4 Cab.

BTW I have used both D:Class and Multi Tech for work on my Mercs in the past and would recommend them.

Thanks again.

Tim

That's good to hear! Thanks for that, always a bit nerve-wracking sending a car off for such a significant job.

The rot/paint/roof is the final task on my list to bring the car up to scratch - everything past that point is me being (even more) ridiculous.

Here's a tenner's worth of ridiculous, just to show that it's not always mega money for Porsche parts:

37994707266_5e4b73b484_b.jpg

Also: I am six foot two, in an ideal world the steering wheel would be closer to me.

Two options to achieve this- the Carnewal hub extender or the Porsche/Momo Cup wheel.

The extender is ~£550, the cup wheel is ~£300.

The Carnewal extender brings the wheel 55mm closer, I can't find a figure for the Cup wheel, just 'closer".

Which would you go for, reader of this post, and why?

I'll be going for the Cup wheel when I get to the interior phase.

2 reasons -

1) because racecar. :D
2) It adds a bit more black into my all grey interior, which I'm hoping when combined with black mats it will be enough to get away with my black buckets once the centre cushions have been done grey.

I have read that the cup wheel obscures the top of the speedo and other dials.

So there's pluses and negatives as ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back