Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Parking sensors False alerts

acamp76144

Has anyone else had issues with their parking sensors giving false readings (Ie like you are imminently going to hit something). OPC has looked at it 3 times now. Replaced both the front ones and is now worse then ever..

Only issue I've ever had with the car

My reversing sensors have a tendency to give 'wrong' information.
Given that the majority of the time my car is dirty, I frequently have
to wipe the sensors to remove grime. As the car is also parked outside
it also gets condensation/rain drops on them as well which need wiping off.
This tends to 'cure' the problem. I learned a lesson not to trust them
when I reversed a car into an armco barrier bolted to a wall.
The sensors detected the wall but not the steel attached to it.

I have a MY 2015 Cayenne that does this regularly ... then doesn't do it for ages ..... actual functionality is fine and never in question just comes up with these random false alerts .... haven't had them looked at by OPC as 98% of the time it's fine ..!

911TEL said:
I have a MY 2015 Cayenne that does this regularly ... then doesn't do it for ages ..... actual functionality is fine and never in question just comes up with these random false alerts .... haven't had them looked at by OPC as 98% of the time it's fine ..!

yea, the same with mine. Could be fine for weeks if not months, then goes crazy, then fine again.. weird

The parking sensor nearest the number plate on the passenger side kept going off on mine. I assumed faulty sensor since I have seen soo many posts on this...

Then I realised it only happened under braking. Inspected the front, turned out the number plate was slightly loose. When braking, it would poke out very slightly, and the sensor would detect it an inch from the bumper and start screaming. Solved by a little bit of double sided sticky tape for me.

Both my .1 and .2 have tended to give false positives from time to time, typically when moving in traffic. Had it just this morning with a rear one indicating someone was very close behind me in traffic. When I checked my mirror, they weren't even vaguely close. I just ignore it as it happens so rarely! They have never misbehaved at actual parking speeds.

acamp76144 said:
911TEL said:

yea, the same with mine. Could be fine for weeks if not months, then goes crazy, then fine again.. weird

Had the same issues with the front sensors on my MY2012 :roll:

Have had the same issue. What makes it more odd is that the warning can activate even after being stationary at a set of lights with no change in distances to other cars then after several seconds the sensors will go off. But it's not a constant problem, it comes and goes. And my car is pretty much always clean :)

2016 991.2

I had a couple of false readings on the front whilst moving in traffic this morning, seemed to both occur just after a "stop-start"

It's seems like a known trait of the system from reading these posts?

Mine does like to freak out now and then. No pattern to it, very random.
She is a dirty girl though :grin:

Update

OPC took it back in and put another new sensor in and no problems since.

I've just had a brand new 718 Boxster S (few thousand miles on the clock) as a courtesy car a long weekend. It had the same irregular beeps. Roughly two ghost beeps over ~12hrs driving. Definitely a Porsche thing.

Re: Update

acamp76144 said:
OPC took it back in and put another new sensor in and no problems since.

Hold that thought... the side that wasn't replaced has started going crazy now... going back in soon to get that side replaced too with a more thinly painted replacement sensor

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back