Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant change cost

Scully

Silverstone
Hi All,

Just checking - does £257 sound a lot for a coolant change from an OPC?

Cheers

Dave

You're looking at around £70 for coolant and about 2hrs work tops. Depends whether you want to pay Porsche prices or go for something less budget. It's an easy job any capable mechanic can do.......or even non mechanic like moi.

I've had the coolant done a few times in the turbo by my local independent, and while it's not difficult I believe bleeding can be a bit time consuming.

As a gauge 12mths ago I paid £252 for LTT & Coolant change at an Indy.

The price you have quoted is about right. OPC Modern Classics labour rate is £90/hr inc VAT. This is £75 + VAT which is a typical Indy labour rate.

You'll not save a lot at an Indy unless you can get the labour down to £40/hr + VAT and that rate will save you around £70 + VAT.

The coolant price is the same for OPC and Indy so no real saving there.

Its your call on the route you take.

Comma G40 coolant and deionised water cost me £56 and it's pretty straightforward to do so £257 sounds crazy to me.

Sounds good to me. And I'll get a loan car too :D

Thanks for the feedback all.

Dave

You're right and I have had the specific gravity checked and it's okay. However, I don't think it's ever been changed (I spoke to the previous owner who had the car for 10 years) and on a 13 year old car it feels like it should be done. It's not mentioned in the service schedule either as far as I can see, so it's precautionary. Perhaps I'm being paranoid.

Cheers

Dave

wasz said:
£257 :eek: :sad: :pc:

two of these and an hour of your time, easy job.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4...24fe99feb16b74c813cccb86ae438c79acf0ea&000397

£30 job done.

Whats wrong with the old coolant? you can check the specific gravity of it to see if its still effective before shelling out.

Probably been covered before but what's the Porsche specified coolant these days, anyone know who makes it or does the correct spec? :thumb:

Ethylene glycol based with OAT inhibitors. Anything VW G12, the newer standards weren't around when our cars were made!

I run the triple qx stuff from cp4l which is:

BS6580 (2010)
VW G-12/TL-774D & VW G-12+/TL-774F
MAN 278 & MAN 324
MB 325.3
Renault 41-01-00

Lots of people run the Comma G40 which has been tested by Porsche for 2010+ cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back